Fram Endurance vs Purolator Boss oil filters

I decided to keep BOSS filter I bought, I hope my engine does not blow up.
I think your engine will be fine. If you're anything like my experience, the other parts and pieces of the vehicle will wear out and need to be replaced and/or the vehicle moved on long before the engine has a serious issue, let alone fails. Especially so with the regular oil and filter changes done by bitog member/ readers. And, how many folks regularly use OEM filters like Toyota/Honda and what's known about their efficiency. So, it'll be ok.

Ascent graphs say its 30um at 97%, thats pretty good too
The official spec sheet for the Boss PBL22500 from M+H says it's 99% at >46u. So you have 3 sources for the same PBL22500 filter model: M+H spec sheet, Ascents ISO testing and BR's test ranking - all tested the same PBL22500 filter model. To add, the M+H spec sheet for the PBL30001 ISO efficiency claim does not match the ISO claim on Purolator's website for the same filter model number. So you have all this information on the Boss efficiency that doesn't match up real well and nobody can say for sure what it really is. If I had to believe any source(s), it would be the M+H spec sheet and Ascent's ISO testing because those sources are based on an official ISO 4548-12 efficiency. It could be somewhere between those two data points. Even it it was 97% @ 30u, it still shouldn't have ranked as high as it did in the BR ranking. People comparing all the sources will have to make whatever they want out of it and decide.

Last edited:
I probably wont buy it again, but I am sure my engine will be fine
You'll be Ok ... but I wouldn't use it for a long 10K OCI because low efficiency filters are low because they shed (slough off) already captured debris in the media as they load up and the dP across the media increases. That was shown by Purolator/M+H data and also in Ascents ISO testing. People that do long OCIs (or using the same filter for X number of shorter OCIs) will benefit by using a higher efficiency and holding capacity filter.

You'll be Ok ... but I wouldn't use it for a long 10K OCI because low efficiency filters are low because they shed (slough off) already captured debris in the media as they load up and the dP across the media increases. That was shown by Purolator/M+H data and also in Ascents ISO testing. People that do long OCIs (or using the same filter for X number of shorter OCIs) will benefit by using a higher efficiency and holding capacity filter.

I usually change oil every 4k miles and change oil filter every other oil change.

I meant to run to the next town over to where there is a fleet pride and I was going to pick up a Donald's oil filter. Hopefully I'll get over there tomorrow.

Im having a particle test done with the BOSS, PBL14476. I'll post the results
Will you also have a particle count on the same engine ran with the same oil brand/grade and the same OCI under the same use conditions using other filters with different ISO efficiency? That's the only way to get a decent comparison

Back