Fram cartridge filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, I will be the first to admit I am one of many on this board that simply dispises FRAM oil filters. I'm talking about the orange cannister types. While it may be argued that they work and filter well, I just can't swallow cardboard in my filter for the price they charge.

Now, with that being said - what do you all think of the FRAM cartridge filters (type of filter w/o a metal can - just the filter media that drops in)?? I went to pick up a filter for my car and compared the STP, AC and Fram. I was actually impressed at how the FRAM looked. Plus, it was the only filter individually sealed in plastic in the box. Now, at $11 it was more expensive than the others.

My question is this - since this is a cartridge filter so no can with cardboard endcaps - would you use it? How is the filter media?

I actually, for the 1st time, considered using a FRAM like this one.

Last edited:
I know the last time I bought some for my Ecotec, the Fram cartridge filter was the identical Bulgarian made filter as the Walmart Supertec (Champion Labs) filter. I'd have no issues using them for this application provided the quality (as it looks?) fits the price. At present, it looks like all your brand-name filter manufacturers farm out the cartridge filter production for now. Apparently it's an entirely different process than metal can filter production? Dunno.

Joel

Last edited:
I have an Ecotec too, and I am guessing that Fram probably doesn't make their cartridge filters. I stick to AC Delco since they have them at the local Advance store ($4.79 I think) and they are the same price as Purolator. The design of this filter/housing design is perfect, GM really did a nice job on it.

I wouldn't buy the Fram for the simple reason that I don't trust a thing they make after seeing their metal can filters. Any company that puts such a piece of [censored] on store shelves I will not support. In fact, I don't buy anything Allied Signal. No Bendix brakes, no Autolite plugs, I think it is all garbage. Nothing they make is top quality and a must have.

I here you dishdude. This filter is for an 08 CTS and it is the same design as your ecotec - maybe same part #. I ended up going with the AC Delco because I could not see the $6 more for the Fram of unknown quality.

Thanks everyone.

Thanks for the link JTK! Doesn't look like there is too much of a difference between them. To me the most important quality of an oil filter is the internal construction of the can, bypass valve and drainback valve which isn't a concern with the cartridge style units. I'll stick with the AC Delco since it is cost effective, oem and made in the US :)

Originally Posted By: JTK
Originally Posted By: GMBoy
..I could not see the $6 more for the Fram of unknown quality.

Thanks everyone.

Wow, I guess prices have changed dramatically since I posted this: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...true#Post921467

Joel

That's a totally different filter. I see that the ecotec and my 3.6DI engine are not the same filter- look totally different. It is made of METAL and filter material and the inside diameter hole is much smaller. No plastic either. The FRAM # is 8765 for my car and is $11 at Walmart!

Last edited:
The chevy dealer charges 10 bucks for a brand new ecotec filter with the updated cap, and oring.

The filter by itself is 8 bucks.

I have no idea why parts stores are charging 7-9 bucks for their no name brand filter for the ecotec.

In September AAP was running 5 qt YB Pennzoil and a Purlator filter for $10 after rebate. I jumped on it and was pleased to see the L15436 cartridge ring up at the same $2.50 as the L10193 for my truck. I had stocked up maybe a year ago on a deal on the L15436's, but was out. I think Wal-Mart still wants 5-6 bucks for an ST 9018. The only orange boxes I have carried home in a long time were the PF 9018 containing the same Purlux filters as AC boxes did at the time. Likely I would buy a CH 9018 now IF they had a price advantage. I am convinced the public is taking a hosing on these filter cartridges. How can the guts of a filter sell for twice the price of a filter?

I need to do the car soon. I think I will wonder into AAP and have a look.

I agree with labman and get the hosejob on my Volvo's cartidges, and it just boggles me. Before this S70 I had an 850 Turbo (same motor basically, but canister style filter) and they are/were 1/4 the cost for the same brand!

It may be volume. Everything goes down as volume goes up. There is downtime in setting up for different sizes. And retailers often do what they want with the product.
A couple of comments I've heard recently
---One of my front-line people: we need to reduce the price on filter "X" by $1 and I can sell a lot more of them. They go on small, cheap cars, where there are a lot of cheap competitor filters. Then raise the price of filter "Y" by $2 to compensate. They go on expensive cars. Those people can afford it.
---One major auto dealership chain. Said he needed a super low price on motor oil so he could advertise his oil changes. He told me to make it up on transmission and differential oils. Same gross sales per year, just divided differently. Of course he could have done this internally, but his accountant refused.

There has got to be higher volume for the cartridge than say the 3950 that ST has dropped. Most of your common oil filter sizes are the same with only a few applications being higher.

No, I think the cartridge is still too new that not enough places are making them yet, and perhaps royalties.

""OK, I will be the first to admit I am one of many on this board that simply dispises FRAM oil filters.""

SHEEP, I say- a bunch of sheep. Been using Fram for over 30 years-without a problem

Steve

I have used both Frams and cheaper filters for 40 years with no trouble. Still, I never bought another after i cut open the first orange can.

Many Fram cartridge filters (the ones without a steel can) are made by the OEM and just repackaged. Fram makes some very good filters; the Tough Guards and their racing line, for example.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
My question is this - since this is a cartridge filter so no can with cardboard endcaps - would you use it?

If I got it for free, maybe. But at that price - no way. I can get my OEM Mann/Mahle cartridge filters for $5 on line.

The regular Purolator cartridge filters are some of the worst ones I've seen for my application. Most of the time the pleating is ALL over the place. Fram is much better looking, visually speaking, except for the cardboard end caps :\

I also just stick to Mann/Mahle for my vehicle too and order them 10 at a time.

I used a fram catridge on a chevy cobalt this past weekend, looked ok to me, was my first time with a cartridge filter.

I read the fine print in the ad. It looks to me like I can get 5 qt YB Pennzoil and a Ch9018 for $13 at AAP. May bring home my first orange box in a long time.

i used frams for years before i found this site and never had a problem with them. Dont run them now but if that was all i had i would without hesitation...well maybe a little

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back