Four new TPMS today

Here is the current selection from Rock Auto for a 2008 GM truck, in CDN dollars. The Schraders are there.

BCD0AEEA-9368-4FAB-BEAF-F320620F6B06.png

The sensors went out on my mother in laws car, 2008 Toyota Camry. She sold me the car for cheap when she bought a new car. The dash light is on always. I checked the tire pressure when I bought it and the tire pressure was 18,22,22, and 26 pounds. Apparently these sensors do have value for most drivers these days. After seeing this, I am of the opinion that these sensors should be maintained and replaced as needed. Yes, even if it cost $240.

Gm had this in the 90 and early 2000s the indirect tpms. The only issues are . Mixmatch tires cause a constant tire light and also rotating causes a light if not recalibrated
But that is what is nice on the Honda..Just push a button in after you rotate your tires and it is done...

My wife's 2005 Nissan still has the original working sensors on the front.. I had the rears changed about 5 years ago when replacing those rear tires as 10 years was what was suggested as about the time frame of battery failure. You never know sometimes-

What happens if you decide you don’t want to spend $200+ to get new sensors? Have the tire pressure light on the dash all the time?

Just do like we did before this “technology” came out and look at the tires or check your pressure?

I check my air pressure on mine and her car at least every week, if not then every other week
I check my Accord about weekly and definitely with more temperature changes, it has the indirect through ABS system. It alerted me to a low tire going to work. I was able to check and fill it up then repair the next day instead of getting stuck on side of highway.

My kids both have regular sensors but no readout ('08 CRV and '10 Forte). They check air pressure regularly also. Both had nails on highway drives and were alerted to issue. Wife's Pilot has the dash readout. I use it almost everytime when I start to drive. I still check it manually with gauge frequently.

The indirect is nice if swapping winter/summer rims/tires as it is just a button push reset. Many newer ones read the new sensors no issue. The '08 CRV does NOT do that and needs to get programmed each season as the ECU only holds 4 codes. If not programmed the TPMS system light comes on (not low air) and then you are not able to turn off the ESC if needed for being stuck in snow/mud. It will not allow extra tire spin to clear treads or maximize winter tire potential and keeps killing throttle.
When you pick up a nail while on the highway, it will let you know when the pressure drops to a still safe 28 psi so you can reduce your speed accordingly and pull off to a service station. Otherwise, it might drop to 10 psi while you take a curve at 70 mph and possibly flip over.
Depending on the issue besides a service station, a safer area to pull off the highway and change if needed. Also giving opportunity to possibly save the tire with a simple repair and not replacement.

Reactions: hrv
What happens if you decide you don’t want to spend $200+ to get new sensors? Have the tire pressure light on the dash all the time?

Just do like we did before this “technology” came out and look at the tires or check your pressure?

I check my air pressure on mine and her car at least every week, if not then every other week

How hard is it to remove the bulb for this?

Actual bulbs haven't been used in instrument clusters for over 20 years, at least not for important functions. SRS, ABS, CEL, TPMS, etc. are all LEDs soldered to the circuit board so someone can't just remove them.

To the OP: I had Discount Tire replace my sensors on the two 2007 vehicles with Dill brand sensors. They work fine, but when you get your tires rotated, apparently it makes a difference if they "relearn" the new tire positions as Dill sensors vs. Acura/Honda sensors. Twice I've had to go back to DT for them to do it correctly after tire rotations.

Yes. You don't need to break down a tire to replace a sensor and you certainly don't need to rebalance it.
Of course you don't need to if you're able to DIY.

Pretty sure there's not a shop out there that is just going to break the bead enough to shove a TPMS sensor in there, re-seat the bead, re-inflate and send it down the road w/out a re-balance.

Pretty sure there's not a shop out there that is just going to break the bead enough to shove a TPMS sensor in there, re-seat the bead, re-inflate and send it down the road w/out a re-balance.
Definitely not.

The TPMS sensor in the tires is a dumb system. Glad I was able to code it out of my BMW and revert it back to the ABS sensor style monitoring.

Last time Wally charged me $28 to replace one and that included programming, they used a generic Schrader brand. I watched the whole thing and the did not rebalance the tire, they simply made mark by the stem on the tire and had no issues.

Personally I like being able to see the exact pressure of each tire.

Why not? You're paying for it and if you say no balancing, then they won't balance it. If they decline, find another shop.

I check my Accord about weekly and definitely with more temperature changes, it has the indirect through ABS system. It alerted me to a low tire going to work. I was able to check and fill it up then repair the next day instead of getting stuck on side of highway.

My kids both have regular sensors but no readout ('08 CRV and '10 Forte). They check air pressure regularly also. Both had nails on highway drives and were alerted to issue. Wife's Pilot has the dash readout. I use it almost everytime when I start to drive. I still check it manually with gauge frequently.

The indirect is nice if swapping winter/summer rims/tires as it is just a button push reset. Many newer ones read the new sensors no issue. The '08 CRV does NOT do that and needs to get programmed each season as the ECU only holds 4 codes. If not programmed the TPMS system light comes on (not low air) and then you are not able to turn off the ESC if needed for being stuck in snow/mud. It will not allow extra tire spin to clear treads or maximize winter tire potential and keeps killing throttle.

Depending on the issue besides a service station, a safer area to pull off the highway and change if needed. Also giving opportunity to possibly save the tire with a simple repair and not replacement.
On my 17 Accord sport, I was driving to work the other day and the tpms light came on, I was like “ah what the hell?” I checked the air pressure when I got to work and every break I got I went and checked the air pressure and none of the tires were low.

Before I left work that night I did the tpms calibrate and it went away and hasn’t come back since. Not sure what was going on. I’m set to rotate my tires in under 1000 miles, when I do rotate the tires I look over the tires for nails, etc… so I will see if there is something in one of the tires.

It would be nice to see the air pressure on the dash for sure for quick reference

On my 17 Accord sport, I was driving to work the other day and the tpms light came on, I was like “ah what the hell?” I checked the air pressure when I got to work and every break I got I went and checked the air pressure and none of the tires were low.

Before I left work that night I did the tpms calibrate and it went away and hasn’t come back since. Not sure what was going on. I’m set to rotate my tires in under 1000 miles, when I do rotate the tires I look over the tires for nails, etc… so I will see if there is something in one of the tires.

It would be nice to see the air pressure on the dash for sure for quick reference
Our CR-V is the same way, doesn't show pressures. Our Odyssey Elite does though, which is nice.

A person can avoid costs of breaking beads by having a personal rule: Always change out the sensors when you purchase new tires. Chances are good that if you buy good quality sensors they will outlast the tires. I don’t bother trying to get them to last through two sets.

Actually check the tire pressure with a mechanically operated device instead of relying upon electronic devices and sensors?

Are you crazy, that nonsense went out with the caveman and Fred Flintstones car.

Back