Four (4) different Castrol 0W-30's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last week I purchased 6 bottles of 0W-30 GC at the local Auto Zone. I went back a few days later as they had a new delivery just on the shelf.

I found no less than 4 different very similar looking jars / varieties of the oil. There was the GC type with A3, and MB 229.5 specs on the label, another jar with no specific labeling at all - only that it exceeded all auto manufacturers specifications, another one with the older 229.3 and older VW specs. Finally a new version I have not seen yet with A3, B3, 4 or whatever (indicating HTHS of >3.5) but only the MB 229.3, not 229.5 specification.

The GC had "European Formula" on the front, all the others looked the same (or very similar) on the front but different on the back.

What is going on here ?

aehaas

iirc, there was an interruption in the bottling plant(s) associated with hurricane Katrina. At one time there were notices posted in stores to the effect that bottles will vary, but the oil is the same.

Doc,

First off, I am glad to see you try out GC. I am absolutely sold (no pun intended) on the stuff and I am pleased when I see someone give it a try. I have subjected it to a lot of extreme conditions and I have yet to see any indications of problems with it in: (1) a twin turbo application; (2) a US 3.0L V6 and (3) a Japanese 3.0L V6. Now as to your observation: it sounds like what you may have gotten are :(1) the old yellow label pre-GC Syntec 0W-30 (second example you mentioned), (2) Green or early Gold pre-229.5 specs GC (third example), (3) the newest batch (yellow "European Formula" banner on the front) of Gold GC (229.5)(first example), and a version I have not yet seen or heard described (the last one you mention). Sounds like your Autozone is quite a GC smorgesbord. In my opinion what you want are the late 04 earliest 05 batches of The Green (only 0501 is Green--later 05s are Gold) or the newest 06 batches of the Gold. If you have the opportunity, could you post a photo of the last bottle you mention. You've got me interested. Could be what you have is versions of Green and Gold (both 229.3).

Clarification:
Only the bottle with "European Formula" was Made in Germany GC. All the others were made in the US as per the back label.

Now it may just be that the non-GC 0W-30's with the A3 certification and only the 229.3 is actually the same as the German Castrol.

Castrol swears that all the 0W-30 bottles, German or otherwise, are the same oil at this time. Who knows? Maybe the current US oil is actually the same as the GC but how can one tell?

I only have 9 qts. of the CG now, not enough for any car oil change at this time anyway.

aehaas

quote:

Originally posted by AEHaas:
I only have 9 qts. of the CG now, not enough for any car oil change at this time anyway.

Which car are you planning to try the GC in?

BTW, you do realize that GC is a thick 30 wt? You haven't drunk the Kool-Aid and gone over to the Thick-is-better Dark Side, have you?

lol.gif

"Which car are you planning to try the GC in?"

No car if I cannot get enough reliably. There is no sense in using an oil that is not for sale anywhere near by. This is just too much work.

aehaas

quote:

"Which car are you planning to try the GC in?"

No car if I cannot get enough reliably. There is no sense in using an oil that is not for sale anywhere near by.

I know what you mean. If you check back on here you'll note I was one of the first ones to try GC. But I didn't continue using it because my Autozone never reliably stocked it, and they were the only place that ever stocked it all.

Then I tried 5w20...
grin.gif

There are at least 5 different Castrol 0W30s. The American yellow label group III, GC Green, GC Gold prior to "european formula" label, GC Gold with euro label, and the post-Katrina bottled GC.

quote:

Clarification:
Only the bottle with "European Formula" was Made in Germany GC. All the others were made in the US as per the back label.

Now it may just be that the non-GC 0W-30's with the A3 certification and only the 229.3 is actually the same as the German Castrol.

Castrol swears that all the 0W-30 bottles, German or otherwise, are the same oil at this time. Who knows? Maybe the current US oil is actually the same as the GC but how can one tell?

aehaas

Doc,

While I trust the Elvish labors on behalf of Castrol, Castrol technical assistance I do not trust...I am not ready to accept the "all 0W-30 is the same" response...and in your fleet, assuming you can find sufficient quantities to start using it, I would not use anything but the Deutsche version.

I just payed our local AZ a visit... Happens I grew up with the mgr...Nice thing about living in a small town.

Anyway, I asked him about his knowlegde of Castrol Syntec *GC}... Wish i had a million dollars for the expression on his face.

Make a long story short. We talked for about an hour on the subject, granted I don't know all the facts about GC, but I do know enough to know it's a top Synthetic Motor Oil.

We went and looked on the shelf. The 14 bottles on the shelf was not the real GC... Looked like the older 0w-30 Syntec.

then we looked on the floor behind the stocking shelves and they had just received 2 cases of 0w-30 Syntec. We opened both of the boxes... Woot!!!! Yellow label European Formula!! On the Back MADE IN GERMANY!!! Also..

API Service SL/SJ/CF MB229.1 MB229.3 MB229.5
ACEA:A3,B3,B4 BMW LONGLIFE-01
VW 502 00, 503 01 505 00

NOT FOR SALE OUTSIDE THE AMERICAS
MADE IN GERMANY

He sold me one of the cases and kept the other for himself, and asked me if I wanted a job... lol.

Told him about this site so he can keep up to date on the GC.

He told me he would keep the Made in Germany Syntec in stock no matter what.

Lot # 0520706btw37062 19:15

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back