German Castrol the same as US brand?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
I just called castrol and there tech told me it did not matter if it said european formula or not 0-30 all has the same formula he said it did not matter were it was "formulated" , I said so why the different bottles,he said "that the GC that is still out on the will eventually go away and all you will se is 0-30 but it will be the same stuff" he said "the oil was formulated to cater to BMW and Mercedes and that type of consumer is not going to change there own oil so they had to change there marketing stagies".
We have a nice thread going on GC and one of the members posted this lovely gem up. Ive searched both the US and German sites returning with this in return. This is from the ACTUAL US site.

Quote:
SAE 0W-30: Castrol SYNTEC 0W-30 European Formula is engineered to meet the Mercedes Benz 229.5
specification*. The 0W-30 viscosity grade is ideal for winter conditions where low temperature pumpability is
required. A unique, low-temperature formulation provides exceptional pumpability in cold weather and allows for
unaided engine starts down to -40ºF. Exceeds all car and light truck manufacturer’s warranty requirements for the
protection of gasoline, diesel and turbocharged engines where API SL, SJ, SH, CF or CD is recommended.
Exceeds European ACEA: A3, B3, B4; VW 502 00, 505 00, 503 01; MB 229.1, 229.3, 229.5; BMW LL-01; GMLLA-
025, GM-LL-B-025 and the engine protection requirements of ILSAC GF-3 for API Certified Gasoline
Engine Oils.

Now this is from the GERMAN site.

Quote:

MB 229.3 und 229.5
GM-LL-A-025, GM-LL-B-025
VW 502 00/503 01/505 00
BMW Longlife 01
ACEA A3/B3/B4
API SL/CF

The only thing I find different is the MB 229.1 requirement.

Any guesses as to if what the castrol tech said was true?

Castrol gave you a cookie-cutter response - we've seen these posted here numerous times. It's what they were told to say, in order not to create confusion among customers.

Even if you ask them why the VOA results are different betw. the US and the Germany versions, they'll tell you that it doesn't matter and that both oils provide the same level of performance/protection... and who knows... they may just be right. I mean, we don't have any proof that they don't.

I figured it was a cookie response.

Anything on why the US meets MB 229.1 and the German kind doesnt?

Also I did search but couldnt find anything about that specific response only that certain users said that its the same. Figured it would be more beneficial to start a new thread on it.

Last edited:
I have actually walked into their U.S. headquarters (I'm not too far away from there) and asked about where specifically I could find GC (I called it "European Formula").

They denied the existence of such an oil.
LOL.gif
21.gif

Originally Posted By: bballr4567
I just find it funny they want to "hide" this oil.

Its comical, but not uncommon. They may not intentionally be "hiding" anything. I often find that in large companies the left hand doesn't always know what the right hand is doing.

Last edited:
HAHAHAHHA

What is the truth?

Does anybody know the difference in the MB 229.1 specs and the 229.3 specs? I tried a search but all I came up with was just the numbers and nothing on the actual specs. That might be the key in detemining the difference as that is the "only" difference on the bottles.

Originally Posted By: pickled
I think that you can readily get GC in Roswell New Mexico.
50.gif

The truth is out there...

...but ONLY if one has agents Mulder & Scully accompanying them!!
LOL.gif

50.gif

I have purchased the GC in both Auto Zone's in Roswell. (North Main and South Main locations). I even got the BC there, back when it was available.

Originally Posted By: ctrcbob
50.gif

I have purchased the GC in both Auto Zone's in Roswell. (North Main and South Main locations). I even got the BC there, back when it was available.

I just bought some as well. It wasn't carried for the last several months so I used Amsoil but now GC is back in Autozone. Is it the same/as good as before?

Originally Posted By: bballr4567
HAHAHAHHA

What is the truth?

Does anybody know the difference in the MB 229.1 specs and the 229.3 specs? I tried a search but all I came up with was just the numbers and nothing on the actual specs. That might be the key in detemining the difference as that is the "only" difference on the bottles.
probably backwards compatible...
http://www.whnet.com/4x4/oil.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back