Found the leak

So this was a small leak, 5 PSI per week. Broke the bead and put some sealer in there. Inflated it back up and it went right back to its 5 PSI/ week rate. Then, after a week, it spontaneously lost all pressure overnight. Puzzler! Looks like a dismount and rim refinishing is in my future.

I am mostly posting because this picture is hilarious.

20221019_182212.jpg

What is a rim refinishing and how does it help a leak at the bead? And who does that sort of work?
Removing the rust on the inside of the rim so the bead seats flat. If it's real bad (pitting) you can sometimes fill in with JB weld.

Removing the rust on the inside of the rim so the bead seats flat. If it's real bad (pitting) you can sometimes fill in with JB weld.

Steel wheels or alloy wheels?

I have some alloy wheels that leak at the bead. Bead sealer worked for a while but they're leaking again. I wonder if there's a better solution.

I have NEVER had this problem with steel wheels.

Last edited:
LOL! Looks like it's growing fungus.

What are those steelies off of? Post of pic of how bad it looks around the bead if you can.

I've had decent luck with the black bead sealer but a similar looking can has clear rubber cement looking stuff... that only made matters way worse. Going to have to dismount, scrub that stuff off the bead, and sand down the steel rim.

If that is in response to my previous post, I've only ever used the black stuff. I used it successfully on a pair of pitted Ford aluminum wheels on a Towncar plus various tubeless OPE and ATV applications.

Back