Found dent in bottom of oil filter a dew days after O.C..

For what it's worth the can on that filter is pretty darn strong and it would take some force to dent it compared to other cans. Avoid the problematic and replace it ASAP.

How many ounces do you think the PLATINUM 41334 holds ? I would guess 18 ounces .

IMG_7146.JPG

Probably about 8-10oz would be my guess, the raw volume of the can is only about 14oz
You may be right , put in the 11 ounces left of the SHELL Rotella G.T. 5w-20 . Looks to be at or a bit above the FULL mark . This dipstick is very finicky .

IMG_7073.JPG

The ticking is gone for now . Forgot to mention it shook for a few moments after starting the engine for 1st time before the oil filter change . That too hasn't occurred again .

Change the filter. Also check for any other damage from whatever struck the bottom of the car. Is the oil pan all right? Any evidence of oil leaks from anywhere?
No other leaks . I always look for leaks for a few days after O.C.s and on occasion after that. Other people and myself . Wrap paper towel around oil drain plug and base of oil filter meeting the block to detect fresh oil . Did have to tighten the oil drain plug a bit more the next day after the O.C.. It was seeping out . I think it was due to temperature change . Did the O.C. less than 45 minutes after an 26 mile drive on a 70 degree day . It sat overnight and all day giving it time to cool off . 50 overnight and close to 70 for the day . The oil seeping from drain plug is how I discovered the dent . Did use new crush washer . There has been no oil from the drain plug since . Paper towel confirms .

Last edited:
Shake the one with the dent to see if the guts loosened up. Probably not if it uses a coil spring instead of a leaf spring.
Shook it and no noise . But , there's plenty of oil trapped in the bottom of it , even when tipped upside as pictured . It's been draining out since Monday evening after the switch to the GOLD 1334 . I've never had any drained oil filters keep that amount of oil in them like the PLATINUM 41334 . Only oil left in previous oil filters is in the media . They were mostly FRAM Ultra . Tells me the hit to the bottom of the PLATINUM 41334 was the culprit , oil was likely not circulating or was flowing at a slower rate . Car seems fine since changing to the new GOLD 1334 . The used oil filters are taken to an auto shop to be crushed and the oil drained is recycled .

IMG_7179.JPG
IMG_7182.JPG

Last edited:
Looks like a spring bypass.

I can’t see how that’d cause a noise. The dent is in the side of the can not the center. Either way, a dent is a dent. Good to just change it.

The ticking is gone for now . Forgot to mention it shook for a few moments after starting the engine for 1st time before the oil filter change . That too hasn't occurred again .
did the engine have a miss? If you go to Autozone then can pull codes to see if a misfire code is stored. Did the check engine light come on? It seems like your tick wasn't oil filter related...

just my $0.02

Back