Found dent in bottom of oil filter a dew days after O.C..

It's a Napa Platinum 41334 . The ACCENT sounds different , there's a ticking while idling after a short drive of 2 > 3 miles . Could the dent be causing the sound ? Seems like I would of noticed the dent before and after the install . Yesterday we did here something hit bottom of car a few times . The 2nd hit was very loud ( larger object ? ) on the way home . The O.C. was done 10/8 and there was no ticking after the change or Saturday while shopping . Should I exchange the oil filter to be the safe ? Here is the 41334 cut open ( construction ) to help diagnos the possible impact of the dent to cause the ticking . This a 1st in 35 years of driving . Thanks .

IMG_7124.JPG
IMG_7122.JPG

IMG_7071.JPG

Last edited:
My ignorance is showing. What bad thing could that dent cause?
Filters are almost perfectly round because they're subject to varying pressures, dents in the can, may cause the can to repeatedly flex around the dent site,, fatigue and rupture. Also a dent on the end may make the spring ineffective and allow oil to bypass or at worst the ADBV may break free and get pushed into the block and grenade the engine.

I had a much smaller dent on my oil filter once. I decided to use it anyway. I had no issues 6months and 5K miles later.

However, for your case, I'd change it. Rather spend $10 then worry about this bursting and blowing your engine.

Likely won't cause a problem. I've ran filters in the past with small dents in them but if you're worried about it change it. If there's a new noise that you're pretty sure it related to the dent in the filter definitely change it.

Back