Found car keys on road, what to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
On an early morning bike ride today, I found a BIG set of car, house keys on the road. The keychain had 2 different GM keyless entry do-dads on it. I picked the keys up and took them with me.

What would be the best way to get them back to the owner? I was thinking about placing an add in the local paper's lost & found section, saying something like: "Keys found, call 555-1234 to identify and claim". Maybe take them to the local police dept?...

What would you all do?

Would it be possible for a GM dealer to de-code the keyless pads to find the car? If not, I would take them to the local police station for safe keeping.

i would just take them to a police station. not sure if GM can decode a key to an owner, BMW can, but the keys store service information on them.

does it have any of those grocery tags? If so- drop it in the mail or drop it off at the grocery store and they can look it up and contact them

Originally Posted By: tdpark
does it have any of those grocery tags? If so- drop it in the mail or drop it off at the grocery store and they can look it up and contact them

It does have a grocery store tag on it. I will take the keys to the store and see if they can contact the owners. If not, police station. I will then place an ad in the lost and found in the paper, stating that the keys are with the po-po.

Good thinking on the grocery tags. I've got those and it never crossed my mind. I always wondered about that whole "If found, drop in mailbox" thing. What does the mailman do when he comes across that? How does the USPS send them on?

The drop in the mail things are mailed to the address on the tag. The recipient retrieves your contact information using the number on the tag and sends the keys to you.

Definitely do the add in the lost and found. Maybe put some posters around the area as well. That`d be really scarey loosing something like that.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
The drop in the mail things are mailed to the address on the tag. The recipient retrieves your contact information using the number on the tag and sends the keys to you.

Oh I know the concept. I was just wondering if the post office mails the keys to the address "as is" ie. just a set of keys, or do they make some attempt to package them up for safe transit?

Dunno,never lost my keys using that service. Maybe I should take some old keys and drop them in a mailbox to see what happens.

I've gotten mail in these fancy ziploc bags; there's a section where the postmaster is really sorry the envelope got mauled by their sorting machine. The PO is good about keys and ID tags and their nonconformity.

My supermarket savings card is under an alias, I didn't want them tracking my habits.
wink.gif

I took the keys to my local CVS, since the keychain had a CVS card on it. The clerk called CVS headquarters, who told her that they knew who the CVS card was registered to. They would not give the info to me or her. Instead, CVS HQ said they were contacting the owner of the CVS card, to inform them of the lost keys.

Who knows if the card was registered to a real name? Hopefully the keys get back to the rightful owner.

I found some keys with a remote starter last year, so I walked around the area pushing buttons until I saw some lights flash. The older guy at the door was surprisingly grouchy and not very thankful. I think they were his son's, as the truck was the sort that only a younger male would own.

If the CVS shopper uses a credit card along with the store tracker card, they'll have no problem finding out who the keys belong to. See, there *are* benefits to being tracked.

police station. that is one of the first places people would check, and morally the best thing to do.

Originally Posted By: oilyriser
If the CVS shopper uses a credit card along with the store tracker card, they'll have no problem finding out who the keys belong to. See, there *are* benefits to being tracked.

privacy laws won't allow them to do that (at least in australia)

Interesting. Those CVS and Grocery Store tags can be used to re-unite people with their lost keys. Imagine you lose your keys, someone brings them to CVS stating they found the keys and want to be a Good Sam and return them. They get the address from a not so bright clerk and then use the keys to rob the house or steal a car? It certainly can happen. Now I wonder if it is worth having them on the keychain?

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Interesting. Those CVS and Grocery Store tags can be used to re-unite people with their lost keys. Imagine you lose your keys, someone brings them to CVS stating they found the keys and want to be a Good Sam and return them. They get the address from a not so bright clerk and then use the keys to rob the house or steal a car? It certainly can happen. Now I wonder if it is worth having them on the keychain?

Re-read my previous post. The clerk at CVS tried to pull the owner info by using the card, but the system is set up to prevent the clerk from being able to retrieve any customer info. She had to call CVS headquarters, who WOULD NOT GIVE OUT ANY INFO about who the card was registered to. CVS HQ agreed to call the person that the CVS card was registered to, and let them know about the lost keys. No personal info about the CVS card owner was ever given to me or the store clerk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back