Formula Shell and SuperFlo at PB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just went into to PB today to "look around"...they carried both Formula Shell and Exxon Superflo for about $1.79/qt, but the Shell was SL while the Superflo was SM. I've read these may be pretty good dinos, in case I run into a shortage of TropArtic I'd be looking for one. Besides Havoline, how are these two oils, and should I be concerned with the SL rating for an '02 vehicle? They also had a store brand (ProLine?) for $1.49/qt, and it was SM rated, but the bottles didn't say who made it.

Thoughts???

Any Walgreens stores near you? Through Saturday they have Formula Shell on sale, 3 qts/$4, coupon needed, you can get the coupon at the store.

Your '02 engine should do just fine on SL oil- after all, SL was the new stuff back then.
wink.gif

If price was the same, from Formula Shell, Superflo, & Havoline, I'd choose the Havoline. Almost all the oil I have stockpiled now is either Formula Shell(all SL), bought at a previous Walgreens sale for $1.29/qt, or Havoline, bought on sale for either $1.49 or $1.58/qt. Though I do have 9 or 10 qts of TropArtic 5w30 SM tucked away too!
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Zesty:
I see my local K-Mart has a gallon jug of Exxon Superflo for like $5. Regular price. I'm thinking of buying some and pumping it up with some SLOB or VSOT for my next change.

shocked.gif
That's a good deal I think. I picked up 2 gallons of Superflo at AZ for about 6 something each, and thought I made out like a bandit lol.

I see my local K-Mart has a gallon jug of Exxon Superflo for like $5. Regular price. I'm thinking of buying some and pumping it up with some SLOB or VSOT for my next change.

Sometimes Kmart has a sale on Superflo for $1 a quart.
If Kmart is out, take the Kmart flyer to Walmart or PepBoys and they will match the sale price.
smile.gif

If forced to choose between Formula Shell and Exxon Suprflow, I'd probably give the nod to the Superflow unless both were SM - in which case I'd mentally toss a coin. ProLine used to be blended by Ashland (Valvoline). Dunno whether it still is or, if so, whether it's the same formulation as Valvoline. I used to use ProLine 10W-30 religiously (SJ) in a '91 Sonata and, later, a '96 Accord. Never a problem. Then I found Chevron Supreme (SL) on closeout at Target for 68 cents/qt. just after I bought my '03 Sonata. After that, I found TropArtic Synthetic Blend (SM). Bought lotsa that at Dollar Tree.
wink.gif

Anyone know if I can buy VSOT anymore? I cant find it anywhere even on clearence shelves around here.

I have got to get out to Big Lots to see if I can get me some SLOB
lol.gif

K Dog hasn't had the Superflo for a dollar since spring of '05. If I had to choose between Shell and EM Superflo, I'd still get the TropArtic for 1.48 a quart, the same price as Superflo, both at WM. East coast folks can still get SuperTech made by EM for 1.38 a quart. Bump it up with 1 oz. per quart of VSOT, and drive.

Originally posted by Ray H:
ProLine used to be blended by Ashland (Valvoline). Dunno whether it still is or, if so, whether it's the same formulation as Valvoline. I used to use ProLine 10W-30 religiously (SJ) in a '91 Sonata and, later, a '96 Accord. Never a problem.

A couple of years ago I met a chemist at a neighbors party. He had worked at Mobil at one time and we started talking about oil. He mentioned that Pep Boys Proline was an excellent
oil (I think he said it had a very good additive package). I always thought that it was made at the QS affiliate in Shrevport La.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back