Formula shell a wonder oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 1995 geo prism with 94000 miles that has had a steady diet of mobil 1 since new.I always changed the oil once a year.For the last two years the car has had the morng puff of smoke out of the tail pipe from the ever famous valve stem seals that go bad on these engines.Six months ago I changed to formula shell and the puff of smoke is gone.Last month I did another oil change with shell oil, and still no smoke.Is this shell a wonder oil?

Even better when it's found at Checker's for .79 a quart...

Really though, it's a great oil that is priced very well.

I had an '88 Mazda 323 that had a steady diet of Amsoil 10w40 and M1 15w50 on very long OCIs (all one year, and maxing at 25k miles) from about 1994 to 1998. Ended up w/ an oil leak and a few minutes of blue smoke at start up and after idling. I went to dino (in 1999 or so), the oil leak stopped - from 1999 to 2008 (when I sold it) - it never leaked a drop! Around the year 2000, I started on the various HM oils - they essentially eliminated my start-up smoke.

Glad the Shell is doing it for you!

Originally Posted By: adibigs
The dino sludged up those worn rings and gaskets. Just like having too much red meat in your diet.

I like the way you put that!

That would also be my guess. Not that Dino oil is some kind of wonder liquid, but sludge does have some advantages, like plugging leaks around worn seals. It also works quite well in the small oil passages.

When a part of your motor becomes oil starved because of a clot, just drop 2 asprin and a nitro in the sump

I think you are misinformed about sludge stopping the oil burning. A motor won't just sludge because dino oil is in there because all modern motor oils have detergents to keep the engine clean. Especially since the op has just used it for 6 months. Different engines like different kinds of oil so maybe the op just found one that suits his car.

In fact I think that if the engine was sludged that there would be even more oil consumption.

I just changed the valve cover gasket 3 months ago,engine is as clean as a whistle.Like I said the car has been on a steady diet of mobil 1 since new.I only changed the oil once a year because of the low miles the car does .I had to get the car inspected and by mistake my friend who owns the shop changed the oil and put in shell with a hastings filter,In a few weeks i noticed the puff of smoke was almost gone.After 3 months I changed the oil again and used shell,and the smoke is totally gone.These engines are know for there bad valves guide stems.

Shell oils are great products. I've got a 8k UOA of re-labeled FS 5W-30 coming in 'someday soon'; will post as soon as I get it!

Originally Posted By: nickaluch
You think I can push this oil for six months and about 3500 miles?I know I cant change it once a year like mobil 1.

Hey Nick,

I'm in Nassau county too, welcome. You could do a UOA after 6 months or 3500 miles and see just how long you can push the oil. In all fairness you can't really compare Formula Shell to Mobil 1 though.

A fellow high taxed neighbor.What we pay for our great schools,my daughters better kiss me everynite before they go to bed.I luv mobil 1,been using it for years, in all my company trucks and my cars.Just that the shell oil so worked on my worn valve guide seals.Stopped that morng puff of smoke ,where the mobil one the car smoked for the first min.

I want off this Island so bad I can taste it, but I'm locked in for now. What town are you living in? Valley Stream here.

I'm running Formula Shell in my beater, seems like good oil. Pep Boys had a deal on it with a good filter I couldn't pass up.

I live in merrick.I cant leave either,my girls will kill me.I am in no rush to leave yet,but once there in college I am so out of here.I already told my wife,we are selling the business,and snow birding to florida.I have a 1995 geo prism I drive to the train station thats a total beater.My wife screams at me to get rid of it, but it wont die,and nothing ever goes wrong with it.

A lot of people want out of here, they're taxing us out off the island. My wife wants Florida, I can't stand the heat. It should be interesting when we finally do pack up and move. Thank God for great neighbors! Anyway good chatting, I think I might have hi-jacked the thread.

Sorry.....
21.gif

Originally Posted By: nickaluch
A fellow high taxed neighbor.What we pay for our great schools,my daughters better kiss me everynite before they go to bed.I luv mobil 1,been using it for years, in all my company trucks and my cars.Just that the shell oil so worked on my worn valve guide seals.Stopped that morng puff of smoke ,where the mobil one the car smoked for the first min.

You still love Mobil 1 even though your car smoked when you ran it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back