Formula shell a wonder oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I sold property in Florida before the bust. My wife would love a place there, I like the mountains, we're totally opposite.

I'm headed out to catch up with my buddy for a few beers. PM me if you like!

Frank D

After a car gets quite a few miles on it, I have noticed that synthetic oils like Mobil 1 or Amsoil may not be the best at preventing leaks or consumption long-term in some engines. My friend has had his 96 Acura since it had about 20k miles, and it was then that he put it on Mobil 1 5W-30 and changed it every 3-4k miles until about 200k. Yes the engine is still spotless inside, but I believe he could have done the same thing with a good conventional and saved a lot of money. He also has a few looser clearances in the crank as morning cold start rumble settles down when the oil pressure builds after the first few seconds. Also, the car was leaving oil spots on his driveway due to some crank seal leakage. This indicates to me that the M1 was not stellar at preventing wear or leaks, although I cannot prove that theory. The engine was certainly not abused.

He has since switched to Maxlife to deal with the crank seal seepage and using 10W-40 for the summer. He likes the sound and smoothness of his engine with this oil. It is the 5 cyl inline with adjustable valves. He says it has not lost any fuel economy or pep yet on the heavier oil. The engine is totally dry underneath now after a couple thousand miles. BTW, his planned oci is 5000 miles with this oil, and he just finished an Auto-RX clean and rinse and is using the maintenance dose.

bmwtechguy - Those older TL's look really nice, very much like a mini Legend/RL. I've always wanted a Vigor/TL or a Legend/RL
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back