Ford Spec Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could someone point out how the Ford spec works. My vehicle calls for a 5W30 WSS-M2C913-B (GF3 or GF4). I've seen other specs M2C9XX.

Was wondering if a higher number is "backward compatible" or do I have to use a M2C913-B specified oil.

Any suggestions on a good synthic oil with this spec? Had incredible help from another member to list some good potential oils. Just need to understand this Ford spec more ....
confused.gif

Thanks in advance.

I believe it is an out of date spec, so anything that is GF-4 and SM should meet the requirement.

Here is some light reading:

6. The Ford Specification for Engine Oil Initial and Service Fill - WSS-M2C913-A (the "'913 Specification ")

It is this specification upon which Pennzoil relies to establish that its multimedia advertising campaign is not literally false, but rather, literally true. The '913 Specification issued by Ford requires that engine motor oil meet all the requirements of the "ILSAC Minimum Performance Standard for Passenger Car Engine Oils GF-2, " "ACEA European Oil Sequences A1-98 and B1-98, " and additional Ford requirements.

The '913 Specification requires an oil to pass an ASTM sequence IIIE test conducted at double length for 128 hours. Supplement A of the specification provides under "performance requirements " a Sequence IIIE (ASTM D 5533), double length test. Another performance requirement listed is a certain level of oil consumption.

The importance of oil consumption and its role in a given test depends upon whether it is regarded as a validity criterion or a performance parameter. If oil consumption is a validity criterion and a given motor oil fails to meet the oil consumption level as specified, then the total test is deemed invalid as if no test had been performed. If, on the other hand, oil consumption is deemed as a performance parameter, then the test is regarded as a valid test, even though the motor oil may have failed the test.

Castrol argues that under the Ford specification, regardless of its designation as a performance parameter, oil consumption in fact functions as a validity criterion. Pennzoil insists that it is a performance factor. If Castrol is correct and all competing motor oils failed oil consumption, then the commercial is literally false when it refers to a series of 128-hour tests. If Pennzoil is right, then the concept of test, at least as it pertains to oil consumption, is not literally false.

http://www.riker.com/casedecisions/index.php?id=11059

Thank you for the info. Glad to know that I can rely on anything that is a GF-4 to either meet or exceed the 913 Spec.

For 5w30's i think the "929" spec is the current one to look for. Most all major brand oils meet it however (valvoline, pennzoil, Quaker, gtx, etc...).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back