Ford Says Electric F-150 Will Start Under $40,000. It Can Also Power Your Home

I've been waiting for McDonalds to announce they are installing fast chargers at all of their restaurants, that would solve the poor infrastructure really quick. Matter of fact, I'm gonna buy some MCD stock because it will pop 10% on this announcement....if it happens. :p

I think it will be very competitive if not more affordable than a Tesla. Maybe not at launch or within the first few years, but I would expect you will eventually see common Ford rebates/incentives on this truck, family and friends getting A/Z, and X-Plan pricing. Pricing starting at $39k, meaning that's an XLT F-150 (I think they said only XLT, Lariat and Platinum trims). An XLT F-150 is the majority sold trim package to date. I don't really think people who seek out Platinum F-150s are cross shopping between brands. Usually they have settled on the platform/make they want and are looking for a gussied up truck. People are going to lease these through Ford Credit which is pretty obtainable for majority of people.

Another thing that I think will help this truck 100x over is the dealer parts/service and support network. If you call Tesla for parts and you have a blacklisted vehicle, they're super-hero averse to selling you parts or charge an arm and a leg. I do not think a Ford parts department is going to turn away a parts sale. The support thing is huge, I would figure a lot of people who lease or buy new vehicles feel very comforted in the fact that there are probably 4-5 dealers within a 20 minute drive of them where if their new vehicle is messing up, they can dump it off for repairs and leave in a courtesy vehicle -- like an insurance policy. People love brick and mortar and rightfully so.

Tesla's perceived brand eliteness will also steer a lot of people away. At the end of the day a lot of people see this as just a Ford and that helps sell to those who really matter -- the everyday Joe who will drive hundreds of thousands of sales.

You better believe that many fleet owners will be giving these a hard look as they come out. For my current employer, all our trucks are based at the same locations every night, and typical use is less than 100 miles in a day. We've already brought some plug in units into the fleet for non-pickup duty, and have some of the infrastructure in place... And we get to maintain our relationship with our typical Ford network... win, win, win...

Edit: Ford did a brilliant job with their f-150 Lightning marketing ads. They are really hammering it in how useful an EV truck is for doing hard labor work. It's being advertised more like a cordless power drill that can smash through anything like Chuck Norris. This is 100% the right thing to do to market an EV truck in the USA. No hint of Bay Area soy-nerds behind this at all, which can be a major turn off for many potential truck buyers.

--------------------------

I love how literally every time a new EV truck is announced/teased every Joe Beerbelly suddenly remembers he uses his truck to haul a T-Rex over the Rocky Mountains every day of the week, and could never be forced into the horror of having to wait at a charging station. You know, the alternate reality that most dudes use their trucks like others use a Honda Civic for commuting 10-30 miles a day to a job that doesn't require a truck. :ROFLMAO:

I have several bass-fishing buddies who each have never once ever driven out of state (usually fly) in the last 10 years. You can go most anywhere in our state with 200+ miles of range if starting near the center. They both spend at least 20 minutes each time we go out fishing when a new EV truck is in the news, complaining about how stupid it is that you have to wait a few minutes to recharge when on a road trip. LOL

Now, there are plenty of guys who do use their trucks for actual work and have to drive long distances without stops, but you really kind of have to eye-roll the rest of the blokes who think they belong to a category they actually don't belong to.

Last edited:
You better believe that many fleet owners will be giving these a hard look as they come out. For my current employer, all our trucks are based at the same locations every night, and typical use is less than 100 miles in a day. We've already brought some plug in units into the fleet for non-pickup duty, and have some of the infrastructure in place... And we get to maintain our relationship with our typical Ford network... win, win, win...
That is where they make sense. I am guessing that is why they announced the electric Transit Van.

I think this will be a huge hit. I have zero interest in ever owning or driving a pickup truck, and even I’m impressed with it.

Pretty amazing that this will be cheaper than an equivalent gas truck in their base trims. (SuperCrew, 4x4, 5.5’ bed). And that’s before EV tax credits.

You also get 510 lb-ft. extra torque over the base 3.3 V6. 😳

Some additional info/specs:
If it really comes to market at this price with these specs, Ford will have perpetual waiting lists for these.
Don’t worry it’s a compliance vehicle

if you want one
expect to drive into carb country to drive it back.

no different than the RAV4 PHEV where 99% of the vehicles are sold strictly in CARB areas
I've been waiting for McDonalds to announce they are installing fast chargers at all of their restaurants, that would solve the poor infrastructure really quick. Matter of fact, I'm gonna buy some MCD stock because it will pop 10% on this announcement....if it happens.
Doesn’t even need to be a fast changer

If more businesses would have simple L2 or even stall side outlets 99% of the problem would be solved

You can install thousands of simple outlets for the price of one quick chargers and they are unbelievably cheap to keep up

I appreciate the concept and applaud Ford for this, but let's get a few things straight:

1. The price will be $40k for fleets, if typical consumers want one with all 4 of its wheels the price will be higher.
2. The range will be at least half when towing or using it with the heat on.
3. The hybrid model I think is a bigger step as it applies to a wider range of buyers and real world applications.

Some additional info/specs:

1621530580607.png
100%

Can't wait to see one on "The Gauntlet" with TFL Truck in the next 6 months.
If we don't see one there, it will be "telling".
They will have to design new "Gauntlet" parameters for EV trucks.

We live in interesting times.

I think people always looking at maximum tow ratings, maximum this, maximum that miss the point... There are a LOT of trucks that never work at those maximums.

Our work truck fleet is all XL F150's and up (and some Chevy equivalents). Most are extended cab, 6.5 foot box models. The are nearly always equipped with the base V6 and 2WD (even here in Minnesota). The beds are used for light hauling duty, (3/4 ton and up assigned when heavier) and have a workbox for tools, a back rack, and bright amber safety lighting for duty on the side of the road and in construction zones. They never tow. They typically average well less than 100 miles per day, depending on duty. They all park at the same place at night.

Being blunt, the cost of the electricity to power these would be way less than the equivalent we burn in gas - and we've already started on having adequate charging capabilities on the non truck side of the fleet...

Being blunt, the cost of the electricity to power these would be way less than the equivalent we burn in gas
Until state gov'ts catch up on gasoline/diesel tax revenue losses on EVs.
That process will just be accelerated vs what's in place now for EV revenue loss to state coffers.

Might be a little off topic, but how long do EV batteries last and is it still 5-10K to replace one?

How about when you are the state or local government? Then what... Our vehicles already don't pay basic registration fees or taxes (there are plate fees for the actual cost of the plates and filing...

Think outside the box...

And we don't keep them long enough to worry about battery replacements...

Until state gov'ts catch up on gasoline/diesel tax revenue losses on EVs.
That process will just be accelerated vs what's in place now for EV revenue loss to state coffers.
There are no revenue losses from BEV and roads are already 99% funded out of the general fund anyway
The funding problem is not a lack of tax problem but a government failure to make good decisions problem.
(And no I don’t own a modern BEV due to the $665 extra title fee I would have to pay for a $2000 leaf all because I’m avoiding $37 of gas tax my cobalt pays annually)
DD3BEC46-F632-4416-BB4E-4A16320502A5.png
also although the map is outdated
every orange and red state already charges at least an EV registration fine that in all but 2 cases exceeds the amount you would spend on gas tax if driving a normal gas car.
Many of the states that charge EV fees have under 1000 non-hybrid EVs in the state making these fees even more pathetic.

Some states and even counties charge “other” large fees that hit specifically when you buy an EV my county/state is guilty of multiplying the extra EV registration when charging the variable title fee that makes a BEV too expensive on a TCO basis.

If our government wants BEVs instead of subsidizing them get rid of the blasted extra taxes so the few willing to drive cheap used EVS don’t get raped by extra taxes and have some small incentive to own.

Might be a little off topic, but how long do EV batteries last and is it still 5-10K to replace one?
They are similar to a Toyota transmission in both life and cost
AKA Expensive and most live to 150k with some loss of range but if one blows up like Toyota there are few shops to fix and the cost is high $8000-$10000 unless you get a $1000-$5000 salvage yard special

Last edited:
Back