Ford Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always marvel at the numbers, the sheer size of the market, the notion that millions of new autos get sold every year. Granted the company I work for churns out millions of IC's per year, but still.

http://wardsauto.com/sales-marketing/for...da79d8c7cbcdf89

Article in its entirety:

Quote:

Ford sales rose slightly in May, but the result might have been better if not for tight supply, executives say.
In total, the automaker delivered 245,626 light vehicles last month, up 2.6% on a daily-rate basis from year-ago (one less sales day this year than last), according to WardsAuto data.

Suffering from limited availability, Ford’s highest-volume model, the F-Series, posted a 6.4% drop, losing some ground in the fullsize-pickup market to key competitors last month. Still, executives say they are pleased with the results, as turn rates remain high and average transaction prices continue to escalate.

In total, 57,410 F-Series were delivered in May, with about 63% of F-150s the all-new ’15 model. F-150 inventory is turning every 26 days, compared with 83 days for competitive fullsize pickups, the automaker says. ATPs are up $3,300 to $43,300, with 65% of F-Series trucks sold last month high-end-trim editions and 67% equipped with an EcoBoost V-6.
Look for F-Series availability to improve from this point onward, with Ford’s Kansas City, MO, plant expected to complete its changeover to the new model this month, says Mark LaNeve, vice president-U.S. Marketing, Sales and Service.
“May was a low point, and it gets better from there,” he says. “When we hit the sweet spot is not clear, but June (inventory) will be better than May.”

Ford says it is getting similar traction with other all-new models such as the Mustang, which saw daily sales soar 45%, including a 116% spike in retail volume in California.

“California dealers are begging us for more,” LaNeve says.

Mustang buyers are showing a healthy interest in the new up-option 2.3L EcoBoost 4-cyl. engine, which is running at a 36% take rate nationally and an even higher 40% penetration in California. ATPs are up as well, at $5,000 over year-ago, officials say.

Sparked by the market’s overall thirst for utility vehicles, the Edge (up 39.0%), Explorer (2.4%), Lincoln Navigator (55.8%) and new Lincoln MKC also posted strong months. Lincoln recorded its best May since 2007 on a 10% increase in retail demand, driven by its utilities.

“As we say in this industry, (the Edge is) selling right off the truck,” LaNeve says of the hot-selling model restyled for ’15, pointing to an inventory turn of just 13 days. “All this and we haven’t really advertised on TV.”
The entry Fiesta, gaining 35.8%, was among the few cars showing positive results versus year-ago, but officials say a big part of that jump came from the fleet market. Overall, fleets accounted for 32% of Ford LV sales for the month, about on par with year-ago, though rentals’ share of 16% is up from May 2014’s 12%.

Ford ended the month with 597,000 vehicles in inventory, including 189,000 cars, 254,000 trucks and 154,000 utilities, equal to a 60-day supply. That compares with 634,000 vehicles, or a 65-day supply, a year ago.

Low gas prices = Tons of truck sales

Really not surprised at the sales numbers. Ford did a great job on the F-150 redesign. Most consumers want all the bells and whistles, even if they don't need them. I still don't understand why people want such an expensive truck for daily driving.

I see a ton of new trucks on the road. Around here, I seem to see more of the new Chevy trucks but Ford and Dodge have a lot on the road too. The only reason I find it surprising is the cost of these machines. Most people dont seem to really care about fuel mileage even though gas is a lot more expensive here in california.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Low gas prices = Tons of truck sales.

A few years ago when gas prices were $4.00 a gallon, trucks still sold. People want them, and are willing to live with the cost of owning them.

Are they selling them, or leasing them? I'm not sure if a lease is booked differently than a sale. There could be a glut of used late-model vehicles in 2-4 years. IIRC about 1 out of every 3 vehicles "sold" at this moment in time is a lease.

We bought a new Ford on April 30. Not part of these stats I guess. Was a 2014 though, and inventory was low. Had to get it from almost 200 miles away. Wanted to wait until the 4th of July but had to act sooner because of the low inventory on the 14s.

Originally Posted By: ShotGun429
I wish Ford still made the Crown Victoria, I own one, totally love it and cant replace it with any new Ford made TODAY.

I agree 100%! I LOVE my Crown Vic and would not want to drive anything else. They are fabulous vehicles.

Most consumers want all the bells and whistles, even if they don't need them.

The consumer society we have has told the consumer that they need these features. With a cheap 3 year lease and cheap gas a $50K half-ton pickup is put in reach of their limited means.

Low gas prices = Tons of truck sales

Really not surprised at the sales numbers. Ford did a great job on the F-150 redesign. Most consumers want all the bells and whistles, even if they don't need them. I still don't understand why people want such an expensive truck for daily driving.

Agreed, the Ford F150 is the Camry of the truck world.....but trucks have more options than sedans. Not to mention the new Toyota Tacoma will soon be out, taking sales away.

Last edited:
I see a few 2014s still on the Ford dealer lots ,I am looking for a new truck . Ford was late putting the 2015 F150s on the car lots.

Originally Posted By: synthetic_crazy
Originally Posted By: ShotGun429
I wish Ford still made the Crown Victoria, I own one, totally love it and cant replace it with any new Ford made TODAY.

I agree 100%! I LOVE my Crown Vic and would not want to drive anything else. They are fabulous vehicles.
Add the Mercury Marauder[sp].

Originally Posted By: CT8
I see a few 2014s still on the Ford dealer lots ,I am looking for a new truck . Ford was late putting the 2015 F150s on the car lots.

They are having capacity issues with the new trucks. There was a bulletin to dealers that certain cab/bed combinations that aren't as popular will be put on hold so they can concentrate on the better selling ones.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Ford charges to much for them, no deals.
How is your Ram doing by the way?

The new F-150s seem to be hot sellers around here. I have seen a lot on the road.

I have to admit, they have grown on me. They looked gaudy in pictures, but are much better in person. I still don't like the headlights, but most of the truck looks good. I like it better than the '09-'14 models.

I like the tailgate trim on Platinum and King Ranch models...the small Ford logo in the right corner of the tailgate is a nice tribute of sorts to the old trucks. Would be nice if they did that on all of them instead of the "look at me!" big center badge on lower trim levels.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Ford charges to much for them, no deals.

The profit margin on all these large pick up trucks is
outrageous, and ludicrous to boot.

The people led by their nose to pay up for these things because like someone else mentioned the have convinced the gullible consumer that they NEED all the extra junk that comes on these vehicles now as opposed to 35- 40+ years ago. Bunch of suckers.
crackmeup2.gif
13.gif

Go figure on so many Ecoboost being sold especially when around here they are hardly ordering the 5.0. Funny how Ford acts like it's such an awesome thing that V6s out sell a v8 when at the end of the day that all falls on what is on the lot for people to buy.

Most of the people I know buy whatever they have there regardless as long as it's be color or trim. Engine never matters. Fire d of mine tried to trade his 2010 Platinum in for a 2015 5.0 Platinum and he was told it would have to be special ordered because they try to only order in Ecoboost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back