Ford oil filter adapter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found an oil filter adapter to turn my filter on an angle, that I thought I could use on my 302. It came off a 1975 460.
The problem is that when looking at it off the engine, the bolt that holds it to the block screws into an adapter nut/pipe fitting, threaded on the inside, but it threads right to the end of the adapter, leaving no room for the block fitting to thread in. And the nut part of it sits higher than the gasket mating surface.
It makes me think that the pipe in the block must be short enough and/or the block gasket surface out a bit so the hollow bolt and the block nipple can both thread in and the gasket surfaces seal against each other.
Anyone who's had experience with this please chime in. Thanks.

My take on what you're describing:

You have a fixed (pressed/interference fit) fitler stud. You cannot remove it ..at least simply ..and have no desire to tap the hole.

You have a coupler with a hex head in the middle of two 3/4-16 threads. One end of this coupler has external as well as internal (3/4-16) threads. It makes the length of the right angle bolt too long ..and cannot be contained within the recess of the engine mating end of the right angle adapter.

Potential solution (I have all of these components - if I read your post correctly - right in front of me):

The single threaded side of the coupler (one end internally threaded - one end internally and externally threaded) will fit into the right angle adapter. You then just need to have a machine shop turn the fitting down to match the "only internal thread" end of the coupling. THEN you cut the right angle BOLT to length. It has enough thread length (or so it appears to me) to allow this. No flow holes would be covered up.

The adapter coupling can also be cut shorter, I believe.

I've done a quick search to 3/4-16 couplers. They all appear to have a hex cast into them. You could surely turn one of these down too ..the most popularly available are aluminum ..so I dunno what strength issue may arrise our of that (probably none).

[ March 13, 2006, 05:31 PM: Message edited by: Gary Allan ]

Well the adapter nut is threaded on the inside all the way through, the same thread as the oil filter. One end of the outside of the adapter nut is smooth and is a nice friction fit into the right angle adapter. The other end is threaded but with larger threads than the hole in the block with the pipe nipple in it. The block nipple isn't removable, I tried on a junker with a 2 foot long pipe wrench and it won't come out.
If the 460 is the same way, it's got to fit somehow. The filter boss is probably configured so that it works. Since I didn't remove it, I'll just have to try it on mine. I'll keep you posted how it fits.

quote:

Well the adapter nut is threaded on the inside all the way through, the same thread as the oil filter. One end of the outside of the adapter nut is smooth and is a nice friction fit into the right angle adapter.

Yep ..now just have the outside threaded end turned down to match the smooth end ..and the whole thing will fit inside the adapter.
grin.gif

Then it's just a matter of shortening the right angle hollow bolt ..and maybe shaving a bit off the adapter (the thing that needs turning).

But I hope that you get out easier then that.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back