FORD Lovers Look Here

1. I didn't think so.
2. Seems so. Plenty of videos on You Tube about this issue.
3. In medicine we call those, 'incidental findings'
Thanks for the reply. I did defer to the knowledge of youtube and it seems there is now an updated cam phaser for the 3.5 ecoboost. This shows the differences. The video should start at the proper spot:

I really really like my 2018 2.7. But if it did that to me at 75k, and I didn’t have the warranty, I’m not sure it’d be worth the repair. If it was, I’d be making plans to move on to something else. That’s a hard pill to swallow.

The 2.7 and 3.0 actually don't share lineage. The 3.0 is all aluminum and the 2.7 has a CGI block. Exhaust manifolds are part of the heads in the 2.7 vs separate in the 3.0. Can't comment on the phasers, but the 2.7 is not known to need timing components as it's used in the F150. The 3.0 was designed for use in Lincoln and higher end fords, whereas the 2.7 was designed for the F150 and all its towing duties. It shows.

The phasers in the above video are for 2017 and up generation II 3.5 ecoboosts, which seem to have a higher failure rate than the gen I ecos (except the first two years 2011 and 2012). gen I ecos have timing chain elongation issues as both banks are on the same chain. That was changed for the gen II but a lot of phaser issues cropped up.

The 2.7 and 3.0 actually don't share lineage. The 3.0 is all aluminum and the 2.7 has a CGI block. Exhaust manifolds are part of the heads in the 2.7 vs separate in the 3.0. Can't comment on the phasers, but the 2.7 is not known to need timing components as it's used in the F150. The 3.0 was designed for use in Lincoln and higher end fords, whereas the 2.7 was designed for the F150 and all its towing duties. It shows.

The phasers in the above video are for 2017 and up generation II 3.5 ecoboosts, which seem to have a higher failure rate than the gen I ecos (except the first two years 2011 and 2012). gen I ecos have timing chain elongation issues as both banks are on the same chain. That was changed for the gen II but a lot of phaser issues cropped up.
Thanks for the info. One of my F150's is a 2011 3.5EB. 150,000 miles, no phaser problems. 5000 mile OCI's, 10W-30M1 most of it's life. Now 10W-40M1 HM, as I can't find the 10-30.

What grade was used?

I believe it was 5W-30. The 6K oil change interval is less than the Ford oil monitor requires as this vehicle was driven. But I agree, with dual turbos and a marginal valve timing system, the oil is uber critical.

My final word to Ford 3.0 ecoboost owners,

caveat emptor.jpg

I believe that is a variant of the 2.7L ecoboost. A very reliable engine. Did you get a check engine light, and associated codes? Or was there just a rattle?

I don't like the belt driven oil pump

I honestly dont like it either, but honda GVC small engines have used them since their early introduction and I have personally never seen one fail on the enngines I have torn down. When even with a total engine meltdown the belt of course has nicks and slices in it, but they still have not snapped.

A co-worker of mine just had a similar laundry list of work done to the 3.5L ecoboost in his 2018 F150 with only ~60K miles on it. He did buy the truck used. Luckily his ext warranty covered the bill.

It's not surprising, EPA mandates and Ford releases a bunch of new tech in a short period of time.

I'm a conservative driver, don't for a second pretend that higher fuel economy from a more complex engine design is a good thing.

I'm being proven right. If you want to be "green", then you don't drive so many miles. Funny how that often works, people want to pick the environmentally (pretend) friendly solution, but don't want to act environmentally friendly in their lifestyle, SO, yeah, It's pretty ignorant to buy a smaller engine with a turbocharger then complain about it later.

It was hilarious when early adopters tried to make silly claims like "I've had it (a mere) 4 years and it's wonderful. These are the kind of people who stick their heads in the sand and don't want to listen, until it affects them, too. Then they bash a particular automaker when all automakers are scrambling to produce terrible designs in order to eek out a little better fuel economy.

Meanwhile, those in power waste more on their luxuries than us simpletons ever could, from a few MPG difference.

Turbos have their place, on a high cost of ownership sports car. It's idiotic on anything else, and some people try to pretend otherwise, based on anecdotes and short term rather than average vehicle lifespan costs.

Given the better oil we have today, it's inexcusable that any engine should have any fault within 300K mi. Okay, water pump, etc depends on circumstance, but we've gone far far the wrong direction, where engines should have become more reliable, not less so and more expensive to repair.

Warranty is a must.... extended should be considered for anyone buying a Faurd ecoterd.

Wonder why the manifolds cracked..... automakers still can't figure out how to make a non-cracking manifold? It is extreme cost cutting, or lowest bid parts?

76k x 2 = trade in or sell before that point

Don't buy 2020-2023 vehicles. I'm thinking that automakers out of desperation used suppliers that they otherwise would not have. They used cheap aftermarket parts in some cases when better quality OE grade parts were not available. That's my theory.

I spoke to a friend who is a Ford tech yesterday and I commented that weirdly I get a ton of Ford cam phaser videos on my TikTok. He also drives a Tundra and then he asked if those videos were coming up because I was interested in an F150. I told him no, the Tundra is basically new, and then he said, "I would never own a Ford or advise anyone I know to own a Ford." I asked if he always felt that way and he said, "No, things have really goine down hill in the past 5 years."

FWIW...I'm obviously not a fan of Ford but would've happily relayed this story had he said the opposite. My business partner drives a 2016 F150 with the 3.5EB and has had to do nothing but maintenance at nearly 100k miles.

Back