FORD Lovers Look Here

My son's 2020 Explorer AWD with 3.0 Ecoboost engine had the cam phasers replaced.

Salient details; 76K miles, mostly highway. 6K mile OCI with Valvoline synthetic since new. No towing or mountain driving.
24 book time hours by Ford Master Tech

Parts; left and right exhaust manifolds cracked, replaced
both cats compromised from broken manifolds, replaced
cam phasers, not sure if all four or just two
both front axle shafts with CV joints
ancillary parts, list is nine pages long

Cost; including labor $9K+ Ford extended warranty covered all but $100 deductible.
Extra; four new Motorcraft shocks $1400, paid for by owner.

I'd say that's a pretty impressive repair.

tempFileForShare_20230213-101456.jpg

That is very impressive. It is sad that such repairs had to be done on a three year old vehicle with only 76k miles. Even though it was covered, I would be upset that these repairs had to be done. Something to look forward to in another 75k miles.

That's an awful lot of money for shocks.

No one wants to admit it or remember it but some 3V's were cratering at that mileage and sooner. You'd think Ford would have learned, though.

Was this built during the time Ford was allegedly warehousing massive amounts of Exploders and having to fix myriad quality issues?

Where else is this particular power plant used? (I typically don't follow the newest stuff because I'm not willing to pay for it)

What were the symptoms for taking it in?
Just an occasional rattle on startup. The engine ran fine. Never burned oil. I thought it might be the crappy filter the Valvoline shop used but that engine uses a cartridge filter. I think the ADV is built in so I advised him to talk to the dealer he bought it from. They told me they had never had this failure on the 3.0 ecoboost before. I think the Ford engineering think tank came to Wilmington to review the job. They had the car for 10 days.

Epilogue;

He traded in one just like this almost new race red, 2019 Mustang 5.0 which my brother gave to my son because it was a toy to him and my was way too old to drive it. I would have kept the 'toy'.

mustang.jpg

I'm not sure how to handle a @Passport1 post that isn't italicized and in a larger font :unsure:
It is hugely disappointing to see a great American car company, a pioneer in building cars on an assembly line with interchangeable parts, build such trash.
Oh YEAH?? Well hows that TESLA of yours treating you? ;)

Oh YEAH?? Well hows that TESLA of yours treating you? ;)
Incredible car. While a Tesla is certainly not for everyone, it renders everything else old skool. Warts and all. I did have to replace one Continental tire due to a well placed nail, but that's about it. Maybe a little windshield warsher fluid every now and then...

Warranty is a must.... extended should be considered for anyone buying a Faurd ecoterd.

Wonder why the manifolds cracked..... automakers still can't figure out how to make a non-cracking manifold? It is extreme cost cutting, or lowest bid parts?

76k x 2 = trade in or sell before that point

No one wants to admit it or remember it but some 3V's were cratering at that mileage and sooner. You'd think Ford would have learned, though.

Was this built during the time Ford was allegedly warehousing massive amounts of Exploders and having to fix myriad quality issues?

Where else is this particular power plant used? (I typically don't follow the newest stuff because I'm not willing to pay for it)
Those 2020 Explorers were an absolute dumpster fire when they first came out. We had some come in straight off the truck that had been bounced between multiple plants to fix quality issues before it got to us. Most ended up being buybacks.

Some likely stupid questions if you will entertain them:

1) The engine has to come out to replace the cam phasers?
2) Are cam phasers on these Ford's an issue? Do you know why / how they fail?
3) I presume the other stuff was found as part of the other stuff they were working on?

Back