Ford inline filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone add an inline Motorcraft filter kit on a 4R70W? I'm adding a B&M trans cooler to my Mustang. I'm going to change/flush the atf too from the cooler line as well.

The ford filter is the same as a magnefine kit and is meant to be used temporarily to catch any debris coming out of the trans cooler.

Did you have a catastrophic trans failure? IMO a well functioning 4R70W doesn't need external filtration. One of Ford's best auto boxes.

Install a shift kit or do a "jerry's mod" to increase longevity/power handling.

I don't think its the Magnefine anymore. Ford discontinued using them due to leaks and a ineffective bypass, IIRC.
Well, I guess that was official Ford, but Motorcraft could be anything since its aftermarket.

+1 on the J-Mod. I recommend installing a few Sonnax valves and a Superior " Super Tuff Plate" K092 separator plate at the same time.
I have a done a few transmissions with this plate and the Sonnax Valves along with drilling separator holes. Cleanest shift you'll ever see.

Sonnax
76948-09 $15
76948-29k $30
76948-02k $20
Superior
K092 $40
Ford
1W7Z-7D100-AB $2
1L3Z-7C155-AA $2

Hole #1 (Intermediate clutch feed post Accumulator) #20
Hole #2 (Intermediate clutch feed pre Accumulator): 7/64
Hole #3 (Intermediate clutch exhaust) #15
Hole #4 & #5 (Direct clutch feed): #33
Hole #6 (Direct clutch exhaust): #20
Hole #7 (Reverse servo feed for Manual 1st): #43
Hole #10 (Reverse feed): #43
Hole #9 & #11 (Forward clutch feed): 1/8

Originally Posted By: FastLane
I was thinking of the j mod. I was just taking off the line anyhow so I was debating the inline filter.

The J-Mod will greatly reduce particulate in the fluid b/c it reduces clutch/band wear.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
I don't think its the Magnefine anymore. Ford discontinued using them due to leaks and a ineffective bypass, IIRC.
Well, I guess that was official Ford, but Motorcraft could be anything since its aftermarket.

Yeah they're only good for temp filtration. They blow apart after like a 1000 miles.

Originally Posted By: KingCake

Yeah they're only good for temp filtration. They blow apart after like a 1000 miles.

Bold-faced lie.

I have gotten a solid 35k (the service life I use) from both the Ford and genuine Magnefine filters across 11 vehicles, and not a leak from any one of them.

UOA results showed they were still keeping the fluid clean for the entire service.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Originally Posted By: KingCake

Bold-faced lie.

I have gotten a solid 35k (the service life I use) from both the Ford and genuine Magnefine filters across 11 vehicles, and not a leak from any one of them.

UOA results showed they were still keeping the fluid clean for the entire service.

Facts, and reality, are against you.

I have Magnefine filters in my Jeep and Dodge Ram. Never had an issue with them leaking or failing. When I removed them from service there was some particles in the media section and an iron paste on the magnet so they are removing contaminants. Its hard to say how much they prolong the life of the transmission.

There have been some fake ones I have read about, but have no first hand knowledge.

XC3Z-7B155-F is the kit to add an in-line filter. We don't sell them very much anymore as Ford wants us to either replace coolers or use a heated/pulsing flusher on coolers. Some coolers can't be flushed and if they are not shown as being replaced with a transmission the warranty is not honored.

For what the Magnefine filter costs I would rather buy a filter base that takes an automotive motor oil filter.

I've had 3 magnefines in service. I suspected one had slight weepage, but I later found the hose clamps had loosened and some of that, or all of it, could have been from the clamps. the others were dry.

I did install a B&M trans cooler yesterday. I tried the cooler line drain method. Only 6 quarts pumped out. The new cooler looks awesome. I can't wait to drive the car again once the snow melts. I filled the tranny back up with Maxlife.

6 quarts is typical for cooler line drain.
The nice part is, if you want to do the filter after, the pan is empty!
Though, if you do a j-mod, you end up with a mercon shower anyways.

Thanks! Its a slick set up. I can't want to drive it. I have the seats out of it right now. The interior is getting cleaned professionally tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back