Typical threads on universal ATF remote filter head?

I've been slowly chipping away at working on an 89 E350 diesel van I got in September, and today I discovered it has this after I saw some funky things going on with the E4OD cooler lines.

Heck knows what filter that is... I'm guessing it won't just clean up to reveal a part number.

What's the typical thread size for something like that? I'm seeing 3/4-16 on Derale and other similar looking head kits. I'd rather get a couple of possible filters in hand before I take this one off.

Screenshot_20240128-180516.jpg

A lot of filter adapters take the old school ford filter (FL-1A) which is 3/4"-16

I dug up the Baldwin B-163 (listed as being for transmission) with that thread size, which might fit the landing area on the head. The landing should be up to 3-1/2", based on current Derale specs. I can't find that spec for the filter listed, so I'd just have to measure it.

I can order the filter shipped via Walmart for $11 (free ship on $35+ order) and just return it in store if it isn't quite right.

you can still find some old new stock Fram titanium FS8’s or Fram Ultra XG8’s. wire backed with the ultimate in efficiency. i have a OG wire backed FS8 filtering my built 4l80e.

you can still find some old new stock Fram titanium FS8’s or Fram Ultra XG8’s. wire backed with the ultimate in efficiency. i have a OG wire backed FS8 filtering my built 4l80e.

Hm, I figured special ATF spec filters would be required due to the chemistry or something... or the crazy heat from being on the uncooled line from the transmission. or perhaps the pressure spec vs an engine.

Last edited:
Hm, I figured special ATF spec filters would be required due to the chemistry or something... or the crazy heat from being on the uncooled line from the transmission. or perhaps the pressure spec vs an engine.

most important to me is a silicone ADBV due to the heat. but i’ve been running a FL1A or equivalent for well over 100k miles. i tried switching to a massive carquest HD (baldwin made) but after a little while i could hear the trans fluid draining through my cooler after shut down due to the nitrile ADBV becoming stiff. i cut the last carquest HD filter and posted it here. nothing wrong with any of the media.

most important to me is a silicone ADBV due to the heat. but i’ve been running a FL1A or equivalent for well over 100k miles. i tried switching to a massive carquest HD (baldwin made) but after a little while i could hear the trans fluid draining through my cooler after shut down due to the nitrile ADBV becoming stiff. i cut the last carquest HD filter and posted it here. nothing wrong with any of the media.

Well, I placed a Walmart order ($35+ for free shipping) with one of the above Baldwin B-163 filters, $10 filter. It's specifically for transmission, so maybe it'll hold up. Derale's replacement is $20+ship around online. Dunno what material either uses.

Well, I placed a Walmart order ($35+ for free shipping) with one of the above Baldwin B-163 filters, $10 filter. It's specifically for transmission, so maybe it'll hold up. Derale's replacement is $20+ship around online. Dunno what material either uses.
cellulose blend IIRC. same thing in the new ultras, tough guards, premium guards etc. when i run out of OG wire backed FS8’s for the trans filter i’ll move to the Endurance line to stay with a 20um filter with wire backing. there is nothing special needed in terms of media to filter ATF vs. engine oil.

cellulose blend IIRC. same thing in the new ultras, tough guards, premium guards etc. when i run out of OG wire backed FS8’s for the trans filter i’ll move to the Endurance line to stay with a 20um filter with wire backing. there is nothing special needed in terms of media to filter ATF vs. engine oil.

Well if I have to replace it once a year, it's not too expensive or difficult. I don't put a ton of miles on, but I do drive in mountains a fair bit. But someone rigged up the AC condenser as a transmission cooler, so needless to say, it has a big cooler.

I am in the middle of replacing the engine water pump (worn out bearing, leaking) which is what got me looking around underneath while replacing the lower radiator hose today.

If it’s a 3/4-16 filter head, I ran a Napa 1269 on my old Tacoma for a few years before I traded it. It’s a fairly efficient filter and has a low psi bypass valve.
IMG_1140.jpeg

Back