Ford Focus Pickup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Linctex
No...... retired people often want a small simple "truck"

My grandfather was an avid gardener....
his brand new El Camino was perfect for him.

A bed big enough for gardening stuff, it's lower to the ground so it's easier to load and unload, easier to get in an out of...

Think of all the baby boomers that could use a small truck, but do NOT want a full size truck cost and eating space
My parents (born 57 and 59) just brought home a 2015 Silverado CCSB a month or two ago. Some baby boomers like small cars, but there are just as many atavists who want a large car with V8 power just like when they were young. My parents don't do any chores that would require a truck around the house, they pay other people to do that. From what I can tell Baby Boomers are a lot closer to an average millennial than they are to their parents. However, their similar aged neighbors are avid gardeners, but they lived in Poland when they were commies so they are MUCH tougher.

Originally Posted by HemiHawk

I think there is some interest in car-based trucks/SUVs, but some are price prohibitive. The Ridgeline is a great example. I would probably prefer to daily that than any of the other mid sizers. It also gets better fuel economy than most of the midsizers. But it also seems to cost quite a bit more than the others. What 'most' people that have trucks really need is a bed for larger items, or dirty items. I use the bed on my truck pretty often but I don't bash around off road with it. The Ridgeline or a car based truck would have superior on road driving characteristics.
I checked, the Ridgeline gets about the same mileage as the gasoline Colorado. I'm not looking at Japanese SUV for driving dynamics, I would get a car if I cared about that. Most people want four doors, four seats and four wheel drive which makes a full sized truck very attractive, not to mention the increased capabilities and resale value that a full sized truck brings. The Honda price premium is real on the Ridgeline, it appears to do nothing well and costs a lot for what it is. There's a reason you never really see them, they suck.

On the Focus pick up: I think they are trying to bring a successful world model to North America. It worked with the Transit Express and Sprinter, so why not try to capture some niche commercial vehicle segment with a car-based pickup that should have lower cost of operation? If it has a large enough bed to be useful commercially and is cheap I think that's your low cost pick up that everyone laments about on this board. Having said that, I'm not sure it would sell that well as a personal vehicle. You don't see any Transit Expresses as personal vehicles even though they are a small van with considerable capabilities.

Probably at least half the people who drive F150s don't really need a truck that big. If people were honest with themselves, many of them would find that this vehicle would meet their needs and would be way more practical than a half-ton. But many of them will probably opt for the F150 anyway, because of the cool factor/macho factor/I need a "real truck" to drive to my office job/I need a "real truck" to tow a trailer once every 3 years.

Originally Posted by StevieC
If this is true will it be made in China as well?

The article suggests Mexico.

I can see a use for me. I seldom pull my trailer unless I have to take the zero turn to the dealer for some work.
If it has no carpet I am in. MPG is a big deal to me. Right now if I had to go out and buy a truck the chevy Colorado will
be on top of my list followed by the ford Ranger. My next truck should be my last truck. I don't know if I could hold off
till 2022 but I may try. I hope Nissan would get its crap together and make the Frontier great again.

The problem this vehicle would face is the same problem the Ranger and Ridgeline already face: "Less costs more"

People still follow basic consumer logic of "smaller+does less=cheaper". Manuafcturers are like, "Just pay us nearly the same amount of money anyway......because........Dynamics."

The Ranger is the sum of all reasons why we didn't get another Ranger until now: They wanted it too much like a full size truck.

Depending on the interior size, it is something I could see myself getting.

Main reason I like my F150 is because I am a fat guy. I have room and it is comfortable.
I find the new F150's (and pretty much all full size pickups) to be uncomfortable as well. While they are roomy, the just don't feel as good as my 2002.
The Tocoma is tight for me, as is the older Colorado (have not been in the new one).
I also agree that these "midsize" trucks are as large as early 90's full size trucks. And don't get me started on the height of the bedside, impossible to actually throw something in the back and then get it back out.

My truck is used as a truck maybe 10% of the time for hauling stuff around in the bed. I think I have towed with it twice.
I could probably get by with a trailer most of the time (if I had a trailer).

Also the bed size matters. I have a 5.5" bed on my truck, and it barely cuts it for carrying around stuff at times, the tailgate extender helps a lot. If it is only a 3-4 foot bed, then that would probably take it out of the running.

By the time I will be looking for something to replace my F150 (hoping till around 2015) there should be some of these around as used for cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back