Ford focus 2009-2013 maybe getting

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just recently sold my 2010 Ses. It has 90,000 miles on it great little car Trouble-free great little engine Only reason I sold it because I need something bigger for the family

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Originally Posted By: oilboy123
I've heard about the 6speed problem trans. Did not know the exact years though. I like to shift, until I don't like to shift..... Therein lies my problem? Do I get a stick, or an automatic?

Thanks
If you want a newer one and an automatic, get a different car. The dual clutch auto Focus is garbage.

They may be rough shifting, but what is the failure rate?

I'm looking at a local 2011 Focus SE with 30k on the clock. Could someone shed some light on the following questions?

1. Does the SE model use drum brakes in the rear? It's difficult to tell from pictures

2. I have read a few reviews that the the insulation is sub-par and the care is loud (road noise, tire noise, wind noise, etc)

3. Anything at 30k that should be replaced? Transmission fluid replacement?

Thanks

I owned a 2009 Focus SE. Had it for 3 years. First two years were fine. Car had great mpg's, rode comfortably, and everything worked well. Then...after the second year many problems began to surface. Engine would always have a rough idle at stoplights, especially on when cold but it did it all the time. Had to replace two wheel bearings as the grinding sound made that evident. Front end parts replaced next....can't recall which ones. Not under warranty for that one. The rear brakes made a horrible sound when I drove it in the rain. Had it checked...dealer said nothing was wrong. Various rattles of different types. Tires wore out prematurely and caused the car to have road noise. Replacements improved that.

I'd consider something with a much better reputation.

Originally Posted By: lancerplayer
I'm looking at a local 2011 Focus SE with 30k on the clock. Could someone shed some light on the following questions?

1. Does the SE model use drum brakes in the rear? It's difficult to tell from pictures

2. I have read a few reviews that the the insulation is sub-par and the care is loud (road noise, tire noise, wind noise, etc)

Thanks

My 2009 had rear drum. Made noises when wet. As for the tranny fluid? I used an extractor at 30k and sucked out as much as I could from the filler neck and then replaced the same amount. Mercon V I think it was.

Pay special attention to the front end. Tons of these cars have had issues in that area.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: oilboy123
I've heard about the 6speed problem trans. Did not know the exact years though. I like to shift, until I don't like to shift..... Therein lies my problem? Do I get a stick, or an automatic?

Thanks
If you want a newer one and an automatic, get a different car. The dual clutch auto Focus is garbage.

They may be rough shifting, but what is the failure rate?
Not sure, but from what it sounds like with as rough as they are, it would drive me absolutely nuts. No way I could own one.

I had a VW with the DSG. That thing was an absolute nightmare in traffic, rough shifting, jerkiness, it was like riding a mechanical bull.

I'd go 2012+ for the updated chassis. Ford finally brought over the focus global platform with this one and it's very nice for the price. But I too would opt for the manual trans over the DCT. I haven't heard anything too positive about that transmission... Well, ever.

Originally Posted By: andrewg
I owned a 2009 Focus SE... Engine would always have a rough idle at stoplights, especially on when cold but it did it all the time.... Various rattles of different types....

yup, that's the motor mount.

Thanks

My 2009 had rear drum. Made noises when wet. As for the tranny fluid? I used an extractor at 30k and sucked out as much as I could from the filler neck and then replaced the same amount. Mercon V I think it was.

Pay special attention to the front end. Tons of these cars have had issues in that area.

I agree on the fluid. Very easy to siphone the old and replace with new.

My 07 SES also has rear drums. Not that bad once setup properly with new shoes, cylinders, and drum re-surface/replacement. Can easily get 10 years/+100k miles before ever needing to open them again

As for front end issues...I'm not sure what those would be? Tie rods? control arm bushings?
Please elaborate, as at 93k miles, I have yet to replace anything other than pads and rotors

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy

Thanks

I agree on the fluid. Very easy to siphone the old and replace with new.

My 07 SES also has rear drums. Not that bad once setup properly with new shoes, cylinders, and drum re-surface/replacement. Can easily get 10 years/+100k miles before ever needing to open them again

As for front end issues...I'm not sure what those would be? Tie rods? control arm bushings?
Please elaborate, as at 93k miles, I have yet to replace anything other than pads and rotors

Mine has eaten both front ball joints and both sway bar end links now. Not a huge deal really but to pay a mechanic its a few hundred bucks. Up to 2011 I believe its the same car underneath as mine.
I think mine is best econo wagon of its time but not the best sedan, and I would look at a mazda3 or Cruze if I was replacing it, maybe the 2012+ Focus too.

hmm, our cars have similar mileage (acc to your sig) and mine's still tight.
Must be those harsh Ontario roads you frequent
28.gif

hmm, our cars have similar mileage (acc to your sig) and mine's still tight.
Must be those harsh Ontario roads you frequent
28.gif

I did do a bit of backroad driving everyday for a while with some potholes, but the highways I use everyday here are pretty smooth. Patch lines is as rough as they get. My other cars got into the 250k km range before ball joints became an issue, and that was with far more abuse.
I don't know about PO but the rims weren't all curbed so I think she wasn't crashing into things.

what mileage did the ball joints fail?

The latest one was at 142k and the first one was before 100k. Not the biggest problem but the rest of the suspension has to hold up a bit better than that, otherwise it could get expensive.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
If you are getting an automatic, don't look newer than 2011. 2012 and newer have the absolutely garbage Powershift 6 speed dual clutch transmission.
+1

+3

I dunno what I'm going to replace my 07 with

+4

I rented one a few years back with that transmission and it was horrible. Jerky off the line and in slow traffic and super harsh shifts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back