Ford Fiesta opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Al
Check out the Chev Spark..cheaper, more technology advanced, 10 airbags, better mileage. The fiesta is 2.5 ft longer but wheelbase and interior dimensions are very very similar in both cars. Engine and tranny are all aluminum. Latest generation of Chev Powerplant. I am not a Chevy guy but it won me over. 2017 is the 2nd year into this advanced model.I love mine.

Advanced Model?

The Chevy Spark (or Vauxhall Viva as it's called in the UK) is not even in the same league as the Fiesta.

It's comparable to the new Ford KA+.

The Viva is a city car, the Fiesta is a supermini.

I checked out the Focus before I bought my Cruze and also the Dodge Dart, and the Cruze has a real 6 speed auto that is a proven, dependable unit. I would also check to see if the manual transmission models use a dual mass flywheel. This is becoming a new problem area for manual cars, but I think they are being used more on diesels than anything else.

Last edited:
I rented a '14 Fiesta back in 2014. I'm lucky I didn't die in that car. I press the accelerator, it waits almost a second, then lurches forward into a left hand turn... Everything that people have said about that transmission is true.

2011 Fiesta SEL in my family fleet. Best car all around I think I have driven. The DCT is great but I'm an MTX guy so it works like expected for me.

The best part is the MPGs. It is rated like 38 MPGs highway, but I get hand calculated MPGs between 42-44 if I keep it under 75 MPH. When I have used it for work commuting I got 41 MPGs.

It now has 90k miles on it and still one of the quietest cars regardless of size I have driven. Very sturdy built for a small car. The doors are nice and heavy and the ride is great.

The Fiesta does draw me in with its fuel economy. Good to hear your comments about it. I'm leaning towards the focus, but have not ruled out the Fiesta.
Originally Posted By: badtlc
2011 Fiesta SEL in my family fleet. Best car all around I think I have driven. The DCT is great but I'm an MTX guy so it works like expected for me.

The best part is the MPGs. It is rated like 38 MPGs highway, but I get hand calculated MPGs between 42-44 if I keep it under 75 MPH. When I have used it for work commuting I got 41 MPGs.

It now has 90k miles on it and still one of the quietest cars regardless of size I have driven. Very sturdy built for a small car. The doors are nice and heavy and the ride is great.

Check out the Chev Spark..cheaper, more technology advanced, 10 airbags, better mileage. The fiesta is 2.5 ft longer but wheelbase and interior dimensions are very very similar in both cars. Engine and tranny are all aluminum. Latest generation of Chev Powerplant. I am not a Chevy guy but it won me over. 2017 is the 2nd year into this advanced model.I love mine.

Spark is also bigger inside, even though it's a smaller car.

I liked the Fiesta and was considering buying a 5 speed one. Except for one minor problem - I can only fit in the front passenger seat. I'm not a big buy (5'10'', around 200 pounds at the time) and I can't get my right leg between the seat and steering wheel. I have to climb over the steering wheel to get in one. Don't even ask me to get in the back seat of a fiesta.

Yet I can fit in all 4 seats comfortably on a Mirage/Spark.

The Mk1 Fiesta was and still is an extremely cool car - the angles and lines and proportions are just so right.
Plus an S1 RST motor and you have one of my all time top 10 'dream garage' cars.

The current one is just another bland econobox styled too similarly to all the other bland econoboxes on the road.

Originally Posted By: Miller88

Spark is also bigger inside, even though it's a smaller car.

I liked the Fiesta and was considering buying a 5 speed one. Except for one minor problem - I can only fit in the front passenger seat. I'm not a big buy (5'10'', around 200 pounds at the time) and I can't get my right leg between the seat and steering wheel. I have to climb over the steering wheel to get in one. Don't even ask me to get in the back seat of a fiesta.

Yet I can fit in all 4 seats comfortably on a Mirage/Spark.

I'm 5'11" and 225 lbs, and i get into the front seats fine in my Fiesta. With the tilt and telescoping steering wheel, I actually have a good amount of leg room. The rear I would have to agree on. Maybe fine for short trips, but you'd have to be 5'5" or under to be comfortable on a long trip.

The biggest issue I had was in order to get in and out I'd have to put the seat all the way back and steering wheel all the way up, and then it would still be a struggle to get around the wheel, and then readjust to get in.

I'd really like a 1.0L fiesta. But I just can't fit in the car.

Originally Posted By: bigjl

Advanced Model?

The Chevy Spark (or Vauxhall Viva as it's called in the UK) is not even in the same league as the Fiesta.

I'm glad to hear its not in the same league as Fiesta.
Enjoy the Fiesta..lol

Last edited:
Check out the Chev Spark..cheaper, more technology advanced, 10 airbags, better mileage.

I haven't driven either, but I'm struggling to find a comparison of Spark and Fiesta where Spark came out on top. Most of the reviews I found are fairly critical of Spark and its under-powered engine and worse than advertised fuel economy...

Quote from Consumer Reports:
Quote:
two of the three subcompacts we tested—the Chevrolet Spark and the Mitsubishi Mirage—which turned in some of the lowest scores we’ve seen in recent years: 42 and 29, respectively. Both have long lists of deficiencies, including noisy interiors, patience-testing acceleration, and cheaply outfitted interiors. In addition, the Spark’s ride is very stiff and the Mirage’s handling is clumsy. These are cars that we can’t, in good conscience, recommend that anyone buy.

[...]

The Spark provided only 31 mpg overall, which is unimpressive given its tiny size and meager power.

Granted, rather than rely on what magazines say, one should just go out there and test drive them both extensively to determine better personal fit, based on one's needs and purchasing criteria.

Personally, I think I'd skip both, add a little bit more to the budget and get a manual Focus instead.

Rented a 17' Fiesta SE for 2 weeks when my wife got a fender bender. I sort of like that car for the acceleration and agility but my wife hated it for the ergonomics.

Fit and finish sucks, with the typical Ford (and Mazda) low quality interior plastic, flashing and sharp edges, clunky steering racks, etc. If you don't care then it is ok, but if you do, stay away.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
I haven't driven either, but I'm struggling to find a comparison of Spark and Fiesta where Spark came out on top. Most of the reviews I found are fairly critical of Spark and its under-powered engine and worse than advertised fuel economy...

Could care less what the ratings say. I am thrilled with my Spark I get 38+ mileage overall and that is 4 mies to town and back 80% of the time. I don't find it under powered. Even If it was..I average 38 mph going into town on 2 lane country road.

Distance Driven3
*Average MPG37.0
*Average MPH25
*Speed Over 80 MPH0.0%
*Idle Time00:00:2

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Is that hand calculated mpg?

The above is not but I always hand calculate every tank and typically the hand calculation yields 38+/- and the vehicle shows 39+/-

I just drove a rental 2016 Fiesta SE with the automatic trans. My niece rented it, and I just not drive on the Highway, or freeway. I thought it was pretty zippy, and sporty.
I'm thinking that that the Focus still makes more sense. I have not driven a newer focus yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back