Ford Edge water pump replacement

The guides I have.. the camshaft seals I do not, he said he's never replaced them.

You cant do those unless you completely remove the cams from the engine. So don’t worry about them. I only change those on an overhaul or if I have the cams out for some other reason.

The part numbers I have you are the secondary chain guides and tensioner

I guess you have no leaks? LOL it's only a small section isn't it
The timing cover's actually relatively huge. It's a lot of bead.....

Not my vehicle but I hope it's not leaking

I'd use whatever your mekanik prefers. Getting the timing cover back in is not fast. I'd be ashamed to say how long it took me if I remembered. You've gotta raise and lower the engine at least once to get all the bolts in.

I think the FSM says to get it all back together in something like 15 minutes so the sealant doesn't cure prematurely.

I'm sure Matt D can do that but as I recall it musta taken me at least 45 minutes. Honestly probably an hour before they were all torqued. I think I had to tilt the motor another time or two to get my torque wrench on every bolt. I tried to follow the sequence but I'll admit I wasn't perfect.

The mechanic called me today, and told me the primary and secondary Tensioners are no longer available, so I had to pick another option, so I went with it Melling, I'm contemplating replacing the oil pump, while he's in there. 🤔

I personally wouldn't bother with oil pump. The only reason guys do 'em on modulars is to step up to the Melling high flow.

I'm not aware of the 3.5/3.7 starving for oil on the top end and you've got mechanical tensioners.

I personally wouldn't bother with oil pump. The only reason guys do 'em on modulars is to step up to the Melling high flow.

I'm not aware of the 3.5/3.7 starving for oil on the top end and you've got mechanical tensioners.
Hell it's only $60 for the Motorcraft one.. he uses the same silicone as you the right stuff.. never an issue. He uses it on all vehicles That requires it...

Hell it's only $60 for the Motorcraft one.. he uses the same silicone as you the right stuff.. never an issue. He uses it on all vehicles That requires it...
He might use the 15 minute Cheez Whiz version. I'm too cheap to pay for that as it's way more expensive, but makes sense in a flat rate shop.

Plus, for this particular job, I'm WAY too slow to get that cover torqued before the 15 minute stuff is beyond the acceptable assembly limit.

Although in one of the FTM vids he mentioned even he lets the 3V's cure overnight before starting. Not sure what sealant he chooses, though....

JL3Z-6L266-A​

and​

AT4Z-6K254-A not available??​

Depending on time frame for the job I either use the ultra black and let it cure overnight but if they are in a hurry for it I use the right stuff. Have to work very fast though once you lay it down. I prefer using the other ultra black just so I know everything is done perfectly and not rushed

Last edited:

JL3Z-6L266-A​

and​

AT4Z-6K254-A not available??​

Depending on time frame for the job I either use the ultra black and let it cure overnight but if they are in a hurry for it I use the right stuff. Have to work very fast though once you lay it down. I prefer using the other ultra black just so I know everything is done perfectly and not rushed
Thank you.. @mattd what is opinion on changing the oil pump? Motorcraft didn't have primary and secondary tensioners, I wind up having to go with Melling.. Motorcraft is discontinued...

Last edited:
That’s odd…we just got some a couple weeks ago?

Oil pump I would leave alone. Only time I have changed one is on an overhaul. But if money is burning a hole in your pocket for it, go for it.

But if money is burning a hole in your pocket for it, go for it.

Not really, living on a fixed income this is all preventive maintenance, everything locked good, water pump was tight, but you never know if that' seal was going to start leaking..

Attachments

• IMG_20230331_140524378.jpg
    IMG_20230331_140524378.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_20230331_135419625.jpg
    IMG_20230331_135419625.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20230331_140352420.jpg
    IMG_20230331_140352420.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_20230331_140352420.jpg
    IMG_20230331_140352420.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 33
But if money is burning a hole in your pocket for it, go for it.

Not really, living on a fixed income this is all preventive maintenance, everything locked good, water pump was tight, but you never know if that' seal was going to start leaking..
People accept that timing belts should be changed on a regular schedule BEFORE failure but for reasons I don't understand they think this water pump should just be left to hopes and dreams.

Much like a timing belt I think it should be replaced every 100k. It's just a cost of owning one of these engines, no different than timing belt maintenance.

Back