Ford dropping almost all cars from its NA lineup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup.

Now only if NHTSA would classify their entire SUV/CUV lineup as "passenger cars" to make them rethink that choice.

I can't blame the business decision but I think Ford NA will eat it with a looming fuel price spike (personal theory). Also, I never think it is a good thing to surrender a market. Those loss Fusions were limiting those from buying Malibu/Altimas etc. The best thing for Chrysler (and Toyota/Honda) back in the day was Ford/GM dropping the minivan. It is good news for everybody else. When a company leaves a market, everyone else's share gets better.

I think this is a major mistake by Ford.
When Mullaly came to Ford he seemed to right the ship.....but typically, he took a huge payout and ran, leaving it to Mark Fields who took Ford backwards, IMO. The newest CEO, Hackett, is not a car guy but rather a 'businessman' which usually doesn't bode well for a 'car company'.
It's pretty sad that the company that first put Americans in cars can't compete anymore....

PS: Even though I was a Mulally fan, I think he made a mistake by getting rid of the Mercury division.....Mercury was a step above Ford and gave people an option when they wanted more than a Ford but weren't making enough money to buy a Lincoln.....It's pretty hard to justify a $35K (loaded) Fusion....

Boggles my mind that people will buy something like an Ecosport over a Crosstrek, or even more logical is a sportwagen, or atleast the lifted All-trac version.
Why does stretching a Fiesta to be 8" taller, ruining its fuel economy, and making it less safe, make people want to buy one?

It seems a little short sighted considering fuel prices will rise (and have been going up again). But I can't blame them for looking at the numbers and making a business decision. Dodge/Chrysler also killed off many of their smaller cars. A dodge charger may be a car, but in AWD trim I think it weighs as much as a midsize truck. Still gets better MPG though.

What I dont get is all the hate on here from MPG snobs.
Ford is selling little deathboxes at a loss.
They want to stop making them.

....they can restart making them AT ANY TIME.

Ford can do whatever THEY WANT TO DO.

You people going to yell at restaurant for removing a slow seller from their menu?
Sheesh.

People keep suggesting that Ford doesn't know what it's doing. What happens if gas prices spike, etc?

Well, they bring back the cars from Europe and Asia, that's all.

Ford is a GLOBAL company. Selling or not selling cars in North America doesn't mean they don't design or build them in other places in the world.

If consumers want cars and Ford can make a buck selling them, they will sell those cars.

If they are losing money on them, the smart move is to stop losing money.

It's not like they cannot bring European offerings here. Many of the CUV platforms are just raised cars, so it can't be that much work to have the ECU tuning and other things in the back room should they need to sell cars here.

The transportation business is cyclical.
Presently, Trucks/CUV/SUV's are the ticket, primarily because of product decisions and favorable fuel prices.
However, if fuel prices increase, sales will likely go down the tubes.
It will be interesting to see what Ford will be selling then.
I think that it is somewhat sad to see Ford relinquish their position as a full line purveyor of transportation products. I think that it is a decision that may come back to bite them in the future.
Just another example of poor management and short sighted decision making in the post Mullaly era.

It's not just ECU, but a lot of stupid stuff like having to move fuel tanks and other mechanical stuff.

Hey, they can get a 3 star safety rating on the Mustang by dropping stuff off the basic platform.

Originally Posted By: Tdbo
The transportation business is cyclical.
Presently, Trucks/CUV/SUV's are the ticket, primarily because of product decisions and favorable fuel prices.
However, if fuel prices increase, sales will likely go down the tubes.

Sorry to only take part of your quote but... Wasn't this the case in the 90s and maybe early 2000s? SUVs were booming at a time. Expeditions and even Excursions everywhere. Where the minivan once dominated the SUV was now king. Ford was putting out junk like the 500. Fuel prices started going up and they really reworked their smaller cars and even brought the US the fiesta. Now fuel prices are lower (rising again?) so they are going with CUVs and SUVs.

Fords stock sells for about 11 bucks a share now, not a national bellringer..imho. You know, there are many brands of autos sold around the world and if Ford does their thing, there are plenty of autos and such to purchase, hey, cars come and go--not a big deal.

A company that makes a car that beats Ferrari at Le Mans does not make car anymore, makes a hatchback that is as popular as Golf, builds a muscle car that even my mother knows about.

I think that's a wrong move. Sad news for car enthusiasts.

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
What I dont get is all the hate on here from MPG snobs.
Ford is selling little deathboxes at a loss.
They want to stop making them.

....they can restart making them AT ANY TIME.

Ford can do whatever THEY WANT TO DO.

You people going to yell at restaurant for removing a slow seller from their menu?
Sheesh.

"Captive Imports" are not as easy/fast solution as you think. You might have 1-2 years of run-up time to get them available and as we know, gas prices happen in hours, not years.

Go ask 2005-2007 GM that same question. And they had SOME (mostly rubbish) cars and a bigger stable to pull from. The also botched the few small cars they had... Really, what saved Ford in 2007 besides the timing of its debt structure was that they had somewhat decent small-car offerings (Focus and Fusion) to limp along when gas went bonkers. They weren't caught with their pants completely down (now they are refusing to wear pants). GM on the other hand did not have a competitive small outside the Pontiac Vibe. They were too SUV dependent.

GM could have had "imported" small cars and they did (See Aveo, Spark, Regal, Astra, etc) however, that takes time. Next, global cars do not always translate easily. Go drive a 2008 Saturn Astra. So by 2008/2009 when GM hustled the Astra out, most of the damage had been done and the Astra was goofy enough to scare buyers away.

Heck, I see that Ford reducing its car line-up as a smart move... but nixing all cars? I see having a mid-sized sedan/hybrid and a small-car/hybrid. That covers your bases and allows you to prevent a few sales to your competitors.

Here is my other point: Government Fleet Sales. Right now, our "go to" vehicle is the Ford Fusion (a few other depts are more Focus oriented). Cheap, cheap, cheap to operate... and a darn good car. The other is the (former) Dodge Caravan, and right now the Dodge Journey (Basically our ability to have a AWD minivan). With Ford's current plan, about 2/3 of my fleet will no longer exist (Caravans/Fusions) and we will likely go GM again... or Nissan since they have slowly worked their way into the Gov. fleet side (why I have a Leaf and an NV200).

I think Ford will have to come back into the small car market, at least forma partnership with some other manufacturer (who who?) Can't be Mazda (burned that bridge) since Toyota is now in bed with them. Maybe Kia/Hyundai/FCA?

Last edited:
Or maybe.......

“THEY’RE BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND - FUSION (usion...usion)! FOCUS (ocus...ocus...)!

They’re back and hotter than ever! For a limited time only, special edition blah blah blahs, coming in 2022!

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Or maybe.......

“THEY’RE BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND - FUSION (usion...usion)! FOCUS (ocus...ocus...)!

They’re back and hotter than ever! For a limited time only, special edition blah blah blahs, coming in 2022!

Ford already stated clearly a few months ago that they are not planning to do any redesign on the Fusion. Trying to sell an outdated platform in 2022 is not going to be very successful when all the competitors will be selling new designs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back