Ford dealer over filled oil🔥

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by MNgopher
Didn't catch which engine the OP has, but in my truck with the 2.7 Ecoboost (same as the edmunds article linked to earlier in the thread), I was the recipient of one of those overfill oil changes. I went in for my oil change, and literally 12 minutes later, the guy comes back out and says your truck is done. I looked at my watch and said "pull it out, and I'll have you check the oil level in 15 minutes." We did, and it was way, way over the top of the full mark. Needless to say, they redid their work.

Point being, Ford says to wait 15 minutes to check the oil level - in 12 minutes, there was no way to drain all the oil (I find it takes about 20 when I do my own on this truck), refill, and wait 15 minutes again to check the level after filling. I make a point of telling them when I go in to take the time necessary to do it correctly and I understand it may take an hour, not 10 minutes. I've had no problems since.

Was it Freeway Ford? Apparently they fired all their veteran service advisors last spring. I guess they were to honest.It used to be a great place to get work done. My last time there for an oil change and tire rotation, the came out with a concerned look and told me my fusion need a coolant service, tranny service, 100K service and brake fluid flush. They said the coolant and trans fluid looked horrible (it didn't). I asked them to to go back and look at the ford system as all that work had been done by New Brighton ford less than a year ago. He said, well we were going by the mileage and we don't look at what other dealers have done to the car. Uh, Yeah. Except you specifically said it looked horrible. The kicker was they didn't rotate my tires either. When I brought it up he said he didn't hear me mention tire rotation. He must have heard it a little, because it was on the bill. They are total crap now. I would trust them to put oil in a garbage can. All the "quick lane" is anymore is a lead generator. Sad. A great concept that greed totally destroyed. Seriously, I have several free oil change coupons I won't be returning to use.

Ford says not to even check the oil level in my 2.7 EcoBoost until the engine has been off 15 minutes. My experience with it says 30 minutes is more accurate.
My oil change routine with the 2.7 is to let the oil drain for approx an hour and then simply put 6 quarts back in it, like Ford calls for. Checking the level with the stick afterwards just gives me something to base subsequent checks against. On one of the F150 sites there was an endless debate about oil level and many guys would anally work to get the end level right at the "full" mark, whether that meant using less or more than the required 6 quarts. Dipsticks can be wrong. Ford says 6, drain it until empty and put 6 in it. Done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back