Ford changes oil grade recommendations for 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Nate1979
Originally Posted By: akela
I don't see why change in GCWR should impact the recommended oil viscosity.
The worst case depends on the engine only, and it remains exactly the same: WOT for the extended period of time.

Doesn't increased GCWR mean increased load on the engine and unless the increased the cooling capacity (for the oil) it would mean possible increased oil temp (tested using SAE J2807 tow ratings)? Therefore a slightly thicker oil could be spec'd for this reason?

The vehicle weight impacts the average output, but not the peak output.

In other words, the worst case remains exactly the same. What changes, is the probability of hitting the worst case.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
I don't like this change at all. Ford just threw away the superior cold start protection XXw20 oils offer. I think people should start thinking about getting block and oil pan heaters, especially those living in CA, FL, TX etc.
grin.gif

Merkava especially should take notice.

grin2.gif

Ok, so it looks like a modest increase in GCWR from 2015 to 2016 for the 6.2L Superduty.
Not sure--I cannot tell from the photo (no sarcasm intended). This 2017 sits the same as my 2015, but I know the 2017 is a little lighter due to the aluminum body panels. But there is not as much of a weight loss for the 2017 F-250/350 as there was with the 2015 F-150 simply because the F-250/350 has more of everything.

I put 5w30 Castrol Edge Gold bottle in my 05 5.4L F150 the other day for the first time it's ever had anything but 5w20 04 0w20 and I have to say no [censored] it's defiantly quieter and smoother. I had some left over from my Focus ST I bought it on sale and had 6 quarts for it, I went and bought one more just to use it up. I think I might stay with this. I'm at 115k it doesn't have any phaser rattle or anything I'm not sure why it's quieter but even my wife said so!!! SO IT MUST BE TRUE!!!LOL

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
I didnt see anyone mention this yet but looks like Ford increased the GCWR for the 2016 6.2 F250/350. Doesnt the new 2016 get the new front end as well? Possibly the played with the cooling, increased the towing capability and decided thicker oil was required.
The front end (whole truck really) change happens for the 2017 model year (not sure about any GCWR changes for the 2017 MY though):

F-250-Feature.jpg

That's a great looking truck there IMO....

/hijack

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kuato
F-250-Feature.jpg
That's a great looking truck there IMO..../hijack
[re-hijack]Totally agree--I want some of those headlights for my 2015.[/re-hijack]

Originally Posted By: car51
You mean I
Have been wrong
All along using a 5w30 grade in my Focus and old 03' Taurus I had?! Shucks!!

I used 0w40 in a car that spec'd 5w20 because the same car in EU called for it. None of this is surprising. 5w20 is too light for most engines unless you drive them like a grandma and never go anywhere near redline.

I dont give a flying pig poo about what the uneducated want to say about 5W-20, but good god, I dont like many new year model vehicles but that new superduty looks bad[censored]. It actually looks "good" and that front end setup is clean baby!

Originally Posted By: rodinator1234
I put 5w30 Castrol Edge Gold bottle in my 05 5.4L F150 the other day for the first time it's ever had anything but 5w20 04 0w20 and I have to say no [censored] it's defiantly quieter and smoother. I had some left over from my Focus ST I bought it on sale and had 6 quarts for it, I went and bought one more just to use it up. I think I might stay with this. I'm at 115k it doesn't have any phaser rattle or anything I'm not sure why it's quieter but even my wife said so!!! SO IT MUST BE TRUE!!!LOL

So let me understand what you just said. Youve been using the specd 5W-20, on an engine that has a reputation of cam phaser rattle, and yours has be silent, so now you decide to use a different oil viscosity?

Originally Posted By: hal
5w20 is too light for most engines unless you drive them like a grandma and never go anywhere near redline.

I've heard statements like this before and I'm not sure I understand. By 'too light' what are you saying would happen if someone used 5w-20 and didn't drive like a grandma and actually hit redline now and then?

Originally Posted By: Ifixyawata
5w20 is too light for most engines unless you drive them like a grandma and never go anywhere near redline.

I've heard statements like this before and I'm not sure I understand. By 'too light' what are you saying would happen if someone used 5w-20 and didn't drive like a grandma and actually hit redline now and then?

Clearly the 5W-20 naysayers have never seen a police auction of crown vics serviced with 5w-20 by the city garage. The only police vehicles i recall blowing up engines in recent memory were HEMI chargers.

Originally Posted By: stower17
Clearly the 5W-20 naysayers have never seen a police auction of crown vics serviced with 5w-20 by the city garage. The only police vehicles i recall blowing up engines in recent memory were HEMI chargers.

For every 5w-20 success story there is probably a 'lifetime of 15w-40 oil changes and no problems' story, too, that will somehow 'disprove' 5w-20. Seeing perpetuation of misinformation just really bugs me.

New trucks - use what the manual says.
Older ones - use what your manual says. If they back spec, then switch. No need to do so otherwise.

No matter how much each side tries to impose its will, the other will not give. Be it thin or thick.

the merits of 5w20 are there, I'm sure it helps fuel economy, and there are plenty of engines with tight enough tolerances that running anything heavier is pointless....but for performance applications I do not think it is sufficient when compared to a Xw30/40. I have heard plenty of non-critical bearing noise in engines that 'mysteriosly' disappears when going from a 20 weight to a 30 weight. follow the manual till the warranty is up if you notice something like this on your engine, that's my .02

Yeah makes no difference to me. My crown vics all run 5w30 my Chevy 6.0 all run 5w30 the random dodge and Chrysler I got all bulk conoco phillips semi-syn 5w30 And they run it year round on napa gold filters.

I'm just going to stick with what the manual says. Otherwise my OCD will cause me to get a headache thinking about it.

the merits of 5w20 are there, I'm sure it helps fuel economy, and there are plenty of engines with tight enough tolerances that running anything heavier is pointless....but for performance applications I do not think it is sufficient when compared to a Xw30/40. I have heard plenty of non-critical bearing noise in engines that 'mysteriosly' disappears when going from a 20 weight to a 30 weight. follow the manual till the warranty is up if you notice something like this on your engine, that's my .02

There's that tight tolerance thing again, it's been pointed out numerous times tolerance has zero to do with grade of oil... It's CLEARANCES... I'm yet to ever hear my engine has tight clearances, if that were case pistons, bearings, etc would likely score then fail...

I reckon now my local Walmart might start stocking Motorcraft 5w-30 again in the 5 quart jugs. Can't find the 5w-30 in 5 quart jugs on their website either. Plenty of 5w-20 5 quart jugs though.

Originally Posted By: BigD1
I reckon now my local Walmart might start stocking Motorcraft 5w-30 again in the 5 quart jugs. Can't find the 5w-30 in 5 quart jugs on their website either. Plenty of 5w-20 5 quart jugs though.

They may or they may not. It varies a lot store by store I think. My store carries equal amounts of 5w-20 and 5w-30 Motorcraft blend right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back