Ford Changes 5W-30 Spec to 5W-20!?!

Just encountered the following at walmart .com -- anyone else seen it? --->

(1998 Ford Ranger - This part [5W-20 Motor Oil] is a good fit)

"Note: Temperature:All TEMPS OtherNotes:This specification has been updated from 5W-30 to 5W-20 per a Technical Service Bulletin from the manufacturer 5W-20 is the preferred viscosity. Capacity:4.3 L Grade:SEO15 region:US OilType:Conventional".

except the 4.0.
This was news 20 years ago.. not so much now.
5w20 is 20-30% thinner and became common around year 2000.

I owned a 2000 ford ranger with the 2.5. Never used the 5w-20 that it called for. Always used 30 and 40 and sometimes 50 because i felt liked it. Lasted nearly 400k until the rest of it fell apart. Don't bother with that 20 grade. Use a 40 since it's got some wear.

Well the way I see it is they certainly don't want these older vehicles on the road any longer, so the decision isn't for the better of the vehicle. I will stick to what the vehicle originally called for unless there is actual hard evidence switching is beneficial for longevity.

Wow! Lots of info here, gents - don't know who I would quote first but anyway, would it be smart (or at least "ok") to go to a 10W-30 since this 5-spd manual, 2WD Ranger has over 200,000 miles now?

I'm sure the additives in a contemporary 20 are up to the task of wear protection when comparing to API SJ Xw30 of that era.

Wow! Lots of info here, gents - don't know who I would quote first but anyway, would it be smart (or at least "ok") to go to a 10W-30 since this 5-spd manual, 2WD Ranger has over 200,000 miles now?
Use 0/5w-40. Get it at any Walmart. Won't be an issue in the va cold. If I still had my ranger I'd likely be using 15w-40. Only gets to about 30f down here.

Well the way I see it is they certainly don't want these older vehicles on the road any longer, so the decision isn't for the better of the vehicle. I will stick to what the vehicle originally called for unless there is actual hard evidence switching is beneficial for longevity.
And fords reluctance to switch the 4.0 with it's joke of a timing component system to a 20 grade is clear evidence that it's more harmful than beneficial. The 2.5 and 3.0 spec 5w-20 now. Fords not dumb enough to put the scrawny 4.0 on a diet and make its poor health worse.

Use 0/5w-40. Get it at any Walmart. Won't be an issue in the va cold. If I still had my ranger I'd likely be using 15w-40. Only gets to about 30f down here.
I find this very intriguing, because in my mind that 0 or 5 would be perfect for Winter in my part of VA, and then the 40 would give even more protection in Summer heat than the 30, correct?

I wonder if a 40 would be helpful also due to this vehicle having 200,000+ miles now, and-or is something labeled "High Mileage" more appropriate?

I find this very intriguing, because in my mind that 0 or 5 would be perfect for Winter in my part of VA, and then the 40 would give even more protection in Summer heat than the 30, correct?

I wonder if a 40 would be helpful also due to this vehicle having 200,000+ miles now, or should I also get something labeled "High Mileage"?
Yes it does protect better, especially the timing components since those suffer more. High milage oils are for old flattened seals that could be swelled again to minimize or in some lucky cases stop oil loss either though seeping it out or burning through valve seals. There's no harm in using it an engine that doesn't seem to have an issue. But generally things are gonna be worn and a grade thicker never hurts. But high milage oils aren't thicker though I believe they should be. They're typically the same as the regular version just with the added seal conditioners. I've seen some pds's of a high milage oil having a touch lower viscosity than the non HM variant as well.

Last edited:
I owned a 2000 ford ranger with the 2.5. Never used the 5w-20 that it called for. Always used 30 and 40 and sometimes 50 because i felt liked it. Lasted nearly 400k until the rest of it fell apart. Don't bother with that 20 grade. Use a 40 since it's got some wear.
If I'm not mistaken your 2000 Ranger had a Lima 2.5 while the current Ford 2.5 is Mazda MZR derived. I had a Lima (2.3 IIRC) in my 1997 Ranger and, like the MZR, they were durable long lasting engines. 400K is impressive.

If I'm not mistaken your 2000 Ranger had a Lima 2.5 while the current Ford 2.5 is Mazda MZR derived. I had a Lima (2.3 IIRC) in my 1997 Ranger and, like the MZR, they were durable long lasting engines. 400K is impressive.
Even though it was a good engine i hated how loud and whirly sounding it was. Wasn't very efficient either. I had a single cab 2wd 4spd auto and driving it the same as my 5.3 2wd Sierra got me 4mpg less than the sierra which I never understood. The 8 sparkplugs it had were an oddity though.

Back