Ford 4.6 main bearing clearance

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found the specs for the bearing clearance of the 4.6 although I don't know nor do I think it includes all years . I believe the earlier engines had a bit more clearance .

These buddies are built on the low side to say the least and while there look at the rod side clearance ! That increases oil pressure as well or could be looked at as does not bleed oil pressure needlessly . The rod bearing clearance is almost ..... normal------ for the hi-rpm in you
smile.gif

When they lowered the clearances they kicked up the oil pressure for the light wt oil . 100lbs at cold idle
wink.gif

Go ahead and run a dino 40wt in this one when cold...I dare you
tongue.gif
I think I told the forum of a cam sticking to the head in one of these with a high 30wt when really cold, if not ,I just did
smile.gif

http://www.mach1registry.com/Specs/Specs.htm

[ May 29, 2004, 07:29 PM: Message edited by: Motorbike ]

Yep, it looks like these engines need thin oil. If I owned one of these engines, M1 0w-20 would be my first choice followed by Motorcraft 5w-20. If I was flogging it hard in deep south summer heat, M1R 0-30. Isn't great to have so many oil choices?
grin.gif

These buddies are built on the low side to say the least and while there look at the rod side clearance ! That increases oil pressure as well or could be looked at as does not bleed oil pressure needlessly . The rod bearing clearance is almost ..... normal------ for the hi-rpm in you
smile.gif

When they lowered the clearances they kicked up the oil pressure for the light wt oil . 100lbs at cold idle
wink.gif

Go ahead and run a dino 40wt in this one when cold...I dare you
tongue.gif
I think I told the forum of a cam sticking to the head in one of these with a high 30wt when really cold, if not ,I just did
smile.gif

http://www.mach1registry.com/Specs/Specs.htm [/qb][/QUOTE]

----------------------------

does anyone know if these clearences are also valid for other 4.6L mod/sohc's...mine is a 1997, and I'm beginning to think I should go to a thinner oil, too....

[ May 29, 2004, 10:45 PM: Message edited by: 97tbird ]

Actually the clearance on the rod bearings is standard. The crank mains are tight, however that is OK due to the type of load.

Chris

100PSI cold idle is rather common. My Dodge 4.7 had a 100PSI cold oil pressure as well and it could ran any oil. The oil pump was clearanced for 5W30 specificly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back