Ford 4.6 main bearing clearance

I found the specs for the bearing clearance of the 4.6 although I don't know nor do I think it includes all years . I believe the earlier engines had a bit more clearance . These buddies are built on the low side to say the least and while there look at the rod side clearance ! That increases oil pressure as well or could be looked at as does not bleed oil pressure needlessly . The rod bearing clearance is almost ..... normal------ for the hi-rpm in you [Smile] When they lowered the clearances they kicked up the oil pressure for the light wt oil . 100lbs at cold idle [Wink] Go ahead and run a dino 40wt in this one when cold...I dare you [Razz] I think I told the forum of a cam sticking to the head in one of these with a high 30wt when really cold, if not ,I just did [Smile] http://www.mach1registry.com/Specs/Specs.htm [ May 29, 2004, 07:29 PM: Message edited by: Motorbike ]

Yep, it looks like these engines need thin oil. If I owned one of these engines, M1 0w-20 would be my first choice followed by Motorcraft 5w-20. If I was flogging it hard in deep south summer heat, M1R 0-30. Isn't great to have so many oil choices? [Big Grin]

These buddies are built on the low side to say the least and while there look at the rod side clearance ! That increases oil pressure as well or could be looked at as does not bleed oil pressure needlessly . The rod bearing clearance is almost ..... normal------ for the hi-rpm in you [Smile] When they lowered the clearances they kicked up the oil pressure for the light wt oil . 100lbs at cold idle [Wink] Go ahead and run a dino 40wt in this one when cold...I dare you [Razz] I think I told the forum of a cam sticking to the head in one of these with a high 30wt when really cold, if not ,I just did [Smile] http://www.mach1registry.com/Specs/Specs.htm [/qb][/QUOTE] ---------------------------- does anyone know if these clearences are also valid for other 4.6L mod/sohc's...mine is a 1997, and I'm beginning to think I should go to a thinner oil, too.... [ May 29, 2004, 10:45 PM: Message edited by: 97tbird ]

100PSI cold idle is rather common. My Dodge 4.7 had a 100PSI cold oil pressure as well and it could ran any oil. The oil pump was clearanced for 5W30 specificly.