Ford 3.5L EB in 21 Lincoln Navigator L, 52.4k miles; 5W-30 PUP 3.5k miles

Vehicle: 2021 Lincoln Navigator L
Engine: Ford Ecoboost 3.5 Liter 440 horsepower
Miles on oil: 3454
Oil: Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W30 (PUP) API SP

Vehicles with similiar engines: Ford F150, Ford Raptor, Ford Expedition
Screenshot_20220923_182815_Drive.jpg

I know there are a lot of fans of this oil but I wasn’t happy with the regular platinum. That QS euro report you shared looks a lot better for what I’m looking for in my ecoboost. I think I’ll give that a shot next time. Thanks for sharing.

I know there are a lot of fans of this oil but I wasn’t happy with the regular platinum. That QS euro report you shared looks a lot better for what I’m looking for in my ecoboost. I think I’ll give that a shot next time. Thanks for sharing.
Is the QS Euro on the R side? If so, define what looked “a lot better”? The PUP delivered 50% less aluminum and 30% less iron while being ~25% thinner (but out of grade).

Navi, did you see any difference in mpg? Just wondering.

Is the QS Euro on the R side? If so, define what looked “a lot better”? The PUP delivered 50% less aluminum and 30% less iron while being ~25% thinner (but out of grade).

Navi, did you see any difference in mpg? Just wondering.

I did not do any extensive detailed analysis of the mpg, but I noticed the mpg computer. It seemed like it got 1 to 2 better mpg with the PUP then any other oil I used. This is huge considering I usually get only 15 to 16 mpg out of it. 1 divided by 15 is like 6.6%.

The report itself is the best Ive seen with the Ecoboost but Im wondering how the thinness will effect the engine. It got this thin after just 3400 miles! When I took the oil out its flow was water like and so thin I became concerned. Im not sure if I should be concerned. Lets say I left it in to 5000 miles...how thin would it be?

Another concern with PUP was hearing more chatter from the engine then usual. It wasnt loud enough where I thought there was a problem, but it wasnt as refined.

Im going to test 2 other oils like Quaker State 5W30 and SuperTech Advanced 5W30. Both are on the thicker side of the 5W30 spectrum.

In regards to SubieRubyRoo, for a modified turbo direct injected Subaru I would use Mobil 1 Delvac 5W40 ESP. Basically an HDEO. It will hold its grade. If you look at the oils Summit Racing sells they have that one and is commonly used by racers. There is also Rotella T6 5W40, but Delvac is rated for gas engines. I know a lot of Subaru owners use Rotella.

I do for hire vehicle work where the vehicle is driven daily with lots of starts and stops. You might consider this taxi-style work. It would probably qualify as police/taxi/tow in the owners manual maintenance guide.

The guy with the Subaru might have a modified turbo engine...maybe one of those stage kits and does track style racing.

If you told me your engine is heavily modified and do track style racing immediately I would think HDEO and viscosity of at least 5W40. I wouldnt think of PUP. If you told me you do lots of towing then an HDEO would also come to mind. When you say towing I think of a landscaping truck or boat hauler possibly going through some hilly area.

If you are an Amsoil or RedLine 5W30 guy then I think you should switch to PUP. Seems like PUP is just as good or better but at the Walmart price of $32 per 5 quarts. Maybe someone who runs Redline or Amsoil 5W30 can do some head to head testing but I think the results will be similar.

I will do my google searches and research this further.

Last edited:
How about Mobil 1 ESP 5w-30?
There are a few HDEO 5W30s out there for mpg, but they never really got popular. One that I know of is Shell Rotella T6 5W30 and I guess Mobil is trying it out now. I tested T6 5W30 and it tested well. The problem was its expensive and hard to source and I think that is the same issue with Delvac 5W30.

The reason why Im experimenting with Walmart sourced 5W30s like PUP is because I want an oil that carries the API SP designation. API SP addresses many issues that come up in Ford Ecoboost engines like chain wear. Another reason is fuel economy. I drive 70000 miles per year.

The QS 5W40 European tested very well, is API SP and stayed in grade, but there wasnt much improvement in fuel economy. $21 for 5 quarts by the way and Walmart has it. Thus the next two oils I will test are SuperTech (Warren) 5W30 Advanced and QS 5W30. Both 5W30s come in around 10.8 cst at 100 degrees Celsius. Lets see how they do.

Thus my criteria for the next oil is Walmart availability, API SP and I would like it to stay in grade....not dropping to 5W20 and of course overall testing.

If you are looking at this and wondering what to use for a modified car which sees the track on the weekends I would stay with an HDEO 5W40...Ive even seen 5W50 suggested. For towing a 5w40 will do. For desert heat it will be thick like a 5W50. People who live out in the desert will know what they need and it wont be 5W30. I know in the Middle East like Saudi they use real thick oil.

I think regular PP is ok, but nothing special. I've seen oxidation tests run on PP and it couldn't hold a candle to Mobil 1.

I never see PUP anywhere.

Back