Ford 2.7L ecoboost

I'm not up on that one specifically and realistically it's too new to form a track record yet. Will it be as bullet proof as the old 4.6 V8s that can do 300 or 400,000 miles or more without needing major work? Only time will tell. I just now that if I was buying one for long term use and simplicity of maintenance, something with a turbo, let alone TWO turbos, would not be high on my list.

Read it and weep! Hasn't quite equaled this since.

That is great mileage. At what cruising speed? My '16 Ram with base V6 got nearly that much.

084.JPG

Also very happy with mine, 2020 Lariat 4wd 145 in wheel base, 3.73 rear end. It is still new; 5k miles and almost exactly 20 mpg (hand calculated). This is all light city driving, 1/2 of it in the (Alaska) winter, all with the start-stop disabled. I drive with a light foot and the truck is generally empty, but for almost no highway miles I am pleased. I'm sure gently highway drivers (keeping it at 65 mph) would average 24. My transmission is smooth, but I do notice a bit of "put-put" during start up idle. I had the TSB for white smoke addressed (turbo oil supply line) but what feels like a gentle missfire remains. I could not find evidence of missfire on Forscan. I don't fear the timing change or VVT system, I change the oil frequently and believe the engine/transmission will outlast the rest of the truck. I drove a 2005 Ford Focus for 15 years, I see no reason why this truck should not last 20 years.

Where is the coolant leak you are experiencing? I'll be on the lookout. Thanks for mentioning the lubeguard; good to know.
At 45-50mph mine will pull close to 27mpg average, as long as there are no stops. However, over 60 and it’s just locked in at 22, then 21mpg by 70. I can’t imagine getting a tank of 24mpg unless it was a trip on steady state 50mph speeds.

I'm at 22.5 (hand calculated) over the last 1000 miles, all city, auto-start/stop disabled. Everyone's experiences are different, but to your point, yes, aerodynamics are not in our favor. Perhaps I am too optimistic about highway mileage potential, but regardless, I am a very satisfied owner.

Just keep in mind that there are two generations of the 2.7 L from 2018 forwards. The engine block is supposed to be stronger as its made from cast iron, and it has dual fuel injection with both port and direct injection, which should get rid of the valve coking issues.

Please provide examples of valve coking problems on the 1st gen 2.7. I'll wait...

While the addition of port injection further reduces the potential for intake valve deposits, it was also done to reduce small particle emissions.

I average 26mpg on summer blend.
I average 24mpg on winter blend.
Is this for 2wd? The 2wd gets a lower front air dam than the 4wd models do. even with the original oem tires before doing any towing to drop the mpg counter, I’ve never averaged a tank of gas above 22. Mines a 2.7 4wd supercab. I added a camper shell and saw a slight improvement in mileage, but less than 0.5mpg.

Is this for 2wd? The 2wd gets a lower front air dam than the 4wd models do. even with the original oem tires before doing any towing to drop the mpg counter, I’ve never averaged a tank of gas above 22. Mines a 2.7 4wd supercab. I added a camper shell and saw a slight improvement in mileage, but less than 0.5mpg.
Yes, 2WD with a 3.55 axle.

I have not heard anything bad about that little 2.7 motor. Do I like the idea of a small turbo V6 in a fullsize pickup? No. But the facts state more than my opinion and the facts show the motor doing well and even better than the 3.5 EB. I have more concern over the 4cyl motor in GM trucks then that 2.7EB. With all that given, I am more than happy with the combined 20.5 I get with my RAM Limited 4x4 with normal driving. I did average 21.8 on a trip from South Dakota with speeds in excess of 80 frequently (speed limits were 70-80).....and I like the power and sound of a V8 over any modern day marvel V6's lol. My next truck will also be a V8 if they are still available. DISCLAIMER - I have been well versed in small turbo motors making great power for 30 years because I was kicking V8 butt regularly in my 87 Buick GN 34 yrs ago with the little 3.8SFI intercooled turbo! I still own that car as well. But I still like big V8's too. Cheers to all and best of luck with whatever you choose!

I have not heard anything bad about that little 2.7 motor. Do I like the idea of a small turbo V6 in a fullsize pickup? No. But the facts state more than my opinion and the facts show the motor doing well and even better than the 3.5 EB. I have more concern over the 4cyl motor in GM trucks then that 2.7EB. With all that given, I am more than happy with the combined 20.5 I get with my RAM Limited 4x4 with normal driving. I did average 21.8 on a trip from South Dakota with speeds in excess of 80 frequently (speed limits were 70-80).....and I like the power and sound of a V8 over any modern day marvel V6's lol. My next truck will also be a V8 if they are still available. DISCLAIMER - I have been well versed in small turbo motors making great power for 30 years because I was kicking V8 butt regularly in my 87 Buick GN 34 yrs ago with the little 3.8SFI intercooled turbo! I still own that car as well. But I still like big V8's too. Cheers to all and best of luck with whatever you choose!
I'm with you there. I prefer V8's and part of that reason is the sound. I have aftermarket exhaust on every V8 I own. These smaller turbo charged V6's are powerful but they are more complex and have more to potentially go wrong with long term. I keep vehicles a long time and like simplicity as much as possible.

Love it. I still have low miles on it, but it works great. It's a keeper. Easy to do oil changes and maintenance on too.

I'll probably pick up another one in my next purchase.

I have ~54,000 miles on my 2016 F150 regular cab, regular bed, FX4 with 3.55:1 rear eLocker. Amazing engine thus far. I installed a UPR dual catch can with less than 500 miles on the clock and I hope this will help prevent/slow issues with DI carbon build up as this engine doesn't have the dual Direct and Port injection that is standard on the later 2.7L engines. I have a lifetime average of 21.1 MPG (real calculated) and that is with long cold Maine winters (snow and ice), winter fuel, etc. that hurt overall economy. Other than some early break-in oil changes at ~1000 mi and 3000 mi, I follow an ~5000 mi OCI with quality 5W-30 full synthetics (M1, PP, Castrol GTX, etc.) but mostly Chevron Havoline Pro DS 5W-30 in the 6 qt boxes. I love having only a single box for the exact amount I need! I use Motorcract cartridge filter FL-2062 oil filters or Carquest equivalent (I hate the red coated O-rings in the Motorcraft as the coating comes off and stains the housing and flakes off into the oil). No oil consumption ever with the 5K changes. Have changed all of the differential, transfer case and transmission fluids and replaced Motorcraft orange coolant with the same orange coolant (had a couple of jugs of Motorcraft Orange concentrate left), but will switch that to the newer Motorcraft Yellow in the next year or two. Changed plugs at 50,000 miles and they looked amazing, even the gaps were still within spec. Hope to see this engine last many more years given the current track record!

Back