Ford 2.7L ecoboost

How are these engines holding up for people? Bought one for the wife a while back and so far it’s been a great motor but it is still young with only 40k miles. Thinking forward, given the problems our 3.5EB had should I expect high mileage issues? Any known weak spots like timing chains or internal water pumps? I don’t mind trading in at 100k but I also don’t mind keeping until high miles if it’s reliable.

The only thing that I have heard bad about them is the a/c compressor failing. It's also happening on the 3.5 EB. My son (currently in school to become a Ford tech) said it's mostly on the 2015-2020 engines.

if you wanted long time reliability the simpler 5.0 would have been the smarter buy IMO in the long run, good luck anywho!!

if you wanted long time reliability the simpler 5.0 would have been the smarter buy IMO in the long run, good luck anywho!!
LOL. No. Coyote Gen 2 was a cluster, Gen 3, who knows (but a timing belt, really???) Look inside the head and timing cover of the coyote or any other modern V8. “Simple” is the LAST thing that comes to mind.

The 2.7 was built from the ground up to be a turbo motor and it’s readily evident throughout the design. Very few common issues and the power/efficiency combo is best in the business for non-diesel 1/2 tons.

If I needed to tow I’d buy a gasser 3/4 ton, if I just needed the truck it would be a 2.7 ecoboost.

LOL. No. Coyote Gen 2 was a cluster, Gen 3, who knows (but a timing belt, really???) Look inside the head and timing cover of the coyote or any other modern V8. “Simple” is the LAST thing that comes to mind.

The 2.7 was built from the ground up to be a turbo motor and it’s readily evident throughout the design. Very few common issues and the power/efficiency combo is best in the business for non-diesel 1/2 tons.

If I needed to tow I’d buy a gasser 3/4 ton, if I just needed the truck it would be a 2.7 ecoboost.
Many of us two with 1/2 tons and stay in the parameters of the specs and do fine. You don't need a 3/4 ton to tow 5,000 pounds. Period.

I tow more than most of this board.

Throwing out my towing miles, I average around 18.8 mpg - that's on a 4x4 Supercrew 5.5 Foot bed and loaded up with about everything you can get on an XLT. Also on the 6 speed transmission - the 10 speeds in later trucks are supposed to be better.

The 2.7 ties with the toyota 4.7 for best engines ive owned. Granted, mine only has 35k on it but it is a wonderful power plant. Some have mentioned timing chain parts BUT a lot of that is predictions based on previous Ford woes. I moved up to 10-30 from 5-30 as the general internet pattern seeming to emerge is that slightly heavier oil or shorter changes does wonders for these. Mine idles with more smoothness than our lexus. I understand Mazda had a hand in the design. It’s an incredible motor.

there are a couple of coolant o-rings which have a bad rap for nuisance coolant loss, and they are located in a crummy position. Mine is slowly weeping. I’m waiting for a superior replacement product to come out rather than replace it with the same weak part.

the transmission gives some a bit of trouble. Mine was exhibiting all of the common behaviors - delayed reverse, and some increasingly clumsy shifts up from 3rd. 2oz of lubeguard red have resulted in a wonderfully shifting unit, better than new.

if you can’t tell, I’m quite pleased with mine. Since it splits driving with a smaller sedan, I’m hoping to hold on to this one for the long haul.

Also very happy with mine, 2020 Lariat 4wd 145 in wheel base, 3.73 rear end. It is still new; 5k miles and almost exactly 20 mpg (hand calculated). This is all light city driving, 1/2 of it in the (Alaska) winter, all with the start-stop disabled. I drive with a light foot and the truck is generally empty, but for almost no highway miles I am pleased. I'm sure gently highway drivers (keeping it at 65 mph) would average 24. My transmission is smooth, but I do notice a bit of "put-put" during start up idle. I had the TSB for white smoke addressed (turbo oil supply line) but what feels like a gentle missfire remains. I could not find evidence of missfire on Forscan. I don't fear the timing change or VVT system, I change the oil frequently and believe the engine/transmission will outlast the rest of the truck. I drove a 2005 Ford Focus for 15 years, I see no reason why this truck should not last 20 years.

Where is the coolant leak you are experiencing? I'll be on the lookout. Thanks for mentioning the lubeguard; good to know.

I only have 15k miles on mine so long term I don't know about yet but I know there are some higher mileage ones out there. I was pretty set on the 5.0 engine initially but the conclusion I came to was that I didn't really find anything concrete to suggest that there was much of a reliability difference between the 5.0 and either of the EcoBoost engines. To be honest, the Ford badge worries me more than the turbochargers do.

I’ve honestly heard nothing but good things with the newer ones. Used to hear about timing chains but I think they’ve improved on that. I imagine you’ll probably experience oil consumption - you usually do with DI turbo engines - but I’m sure there are plenty of remedies out there on the internet for that..heavier weights, shorter intervals, catch can, etc. I don’t think it would be too hard to remove the intake and clean the valves manually at some point either.

2.7 liters with two turbos in a 5500 pound vehicle that is often used for towing? Seems pretty stressed to me. It should go to 100K without issue major issues but will it make it to 200K?
Why not? Doesn’t the the 3.5 do 200k while towing yet more weight?

The earlier versions of the 3.5 had one long timing chain which may have exasperated chain-related problems, though now there are two shorter ones on the 3.5. I believe the 2.7 has always had two shorter chains.

Statistics are not on your side here.
OK, I'm just reminiscing over a '13 F150 I had that sounded like a diesel for the first 5 seconds after a cold start from the timing chain flopping around. Countless multi-page threads on all the F150 forums about that issue so I'm not the only one.

2.7 liters with two turbos in a 5500 pound vehicle that is often used for towing? Seems pretty stressed to me. It should go to 100K without issue major issues but will it make it to 200K?
Read up on the Ford Nano engine. It is designed and built like no other before it.

Back