Force Field Oil Filter Magnet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ZZman
I use Klearforce magnets on mine as they were ceaper than the Filtermags ones.

I just thought this Forcefield magnet has alot of contact with all the oil that passes thru it where the Filtermag and the magnet I have only covers a small protion of the filter.

I think the opposite of StevieC: I think the magnets are good at catching the particles too small for the filter to catch but still cause wear to the motor.

**I think this is extra insurance especially when your filter might go into bypass mode.
Oh no... It's good for smaller particles too, but I like that it keeps bigger ones from clogging up the filter on my longer OCI's But definitely it's great for smaller ones that would normally pass through the filter! Sorry if I wasn't clear in my last post.

Why not just purchase a standard rare earth magnet and put it on the filter....they are only a few dollars each?
What do you gain by purchasing a "name brand" magnet?

Originally Posted By: Hazmat
Why not just purchase a standard rare earth magnet and put it on the filter....they are only a few dollars each?
What do you gain by purchasing a "name brand" magnet?

I dd that, too. Just got them all today, the FilterDot and the regular neodymiums.

I have a plastic canister for my oil filter housing (Volvo V70 XC), so I'm going to have to place one magnet inside the canister and one on the outside to hold it in place.

I'll probably install the FilterDot on my mother's minivan.

Wouldn't there be an increase in flow restriction using the ForceField magnet as the oil must be redirected to flow over the circular magnet? And to ZZMan's photo - I don't see anything. I believe in and use FilterMags RA 360 (600lbs pulling force) on the outside of filter's can.

Shamus, it is anything like the half a dozen small holes in the top of the filter? The relatively small threaded stud for the filter to spin on? Most brief passage alterations don't effect flow much. It just speeds up a bit. Flows transition a few times going in and out of a filter. It's mainly intermediate velocity changes. The mean velocity is usually unchanged.

Originally Posted By: Vspec
Ive always been afraid of these magnets affecting anti-drainback valves, thoughts?
Explain your thought???

Originally Posted By: OriginalRocket
As a computer enthusiast, just tear open a dead hard drive and use those magnets.
.If it cost more it is better.

Originally Posted By: Hethaerto
Originally Posted By: sayjac
The Klear Force is less expensive. I don't care for the disposable magnets.

Me, too. Here's what I've ordered.

FilterDot

I just bought 3 of these for my Accord, Dakota R/T and Mazda3. They are very strong, easy to use and should help.............Good find, thanks!

Well, do you think you could attract the end spacer closer to the dome end if you put a powerful enough magnet on the dome?

Originally Posted By: D Bone
Originally Posted By: Hethaerto
Originally Posted By: sayjac
The Klear Force is less expensive. I don't care for the disposable magnets.

Me, too. Here's what I've ordered.

FilterDot

I just bought 3 of these for my Accord, Dakota R/T and Mazda3. They are very strong, easy to use and should help.............Good find, thanks!

Cool. I got mine on Wednesday. It seems like it's very well made. Two large neos placed into a steel cup with an epoxy holding it all together. Very cool design.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Well, do you think you could attract the end spacer closer to the dome end if you put a powerful enough magnet on the dome?

54.gif

For lack of quotes - just look at the top of any post, it will show who was being replied to
55.gif
It makes more sense if you had caught this part.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
Originally Posted By: Vspec
Ive always been afraid of these magnets affecting anti-drainback valves, thoughts?
Explain your thought???

I bought a Filter Mag
Filter Mag results here ] The Filter Mag - I bought this today

After getting a high reading of iron in my oil (see oil test), I thought I would try - The Filter Mag.

( CLICK on the filter mag picture this the above web page for results of test)

Last edited:
Ok, well I read on here that some guys use the magnets from old computer hard disk drives. SO...I broke open 3 old SCSI hard drives from my server and indeed there are 2 moon shaped flat magnets in each one that are very powerful but are glued onto metal backing plates that resemble the shape of a disc brake pad.

So how do you use these magnets on an oil filter? Is there some magic way to get them off the metal backing plates without cracking them into a dozen pieces?
crazy2.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back