For those with a GM 3.8 engine . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was in Autozone this morning, killing a little time until Family Dollar opened, and spotted the ACDelco oil filters for my Buick Park Avenue, the PF47 and PF52. Both were the same price, 3.49.

I have every intention of going Pennzoil Platinum for a 6-month, 5K OCI when I have the oil changed (after my AutoRX rinse is finished) in April, and of using the larger filter. So, two questions:

1) Are the ACDelco OEM filters as good for a 5K interval as the Wix filters I've heard so much about here? (I'm using the Wix equivalent of the stock filter right now, in fact; bought on sale at O'Reilly's. However, AZ's 3.49 is hard to pass up.)

2) More important, will the larger PF52 fit without issues on a 2003 Buick Park Avenue? Embarrassing, to bring the mechanic a filter which doesn't fit, eh, what?

Quote:
2) More important, will the larger PF52 fit without issues on a 2003 Buick Park Avenue?

Yes! Your Buick and my Buick are the same car; only your trunk is bigger.

But I'm thinking about going back to the PF47 because it tucks up out of the way nicely.
crazy2.gif

I took some shots of the PF52 while the oil was draining. With the angle the filter mounts, it doesn't hang down as much as I thought; I may just stay with it; I don't know for sure . . . I've got about 1 hour to decide.
grin2.gif

DSCN1194.jpg

DSCN1185.jpg

DSCN1188.jpg

DSCN1187.jpg

I chickened out! I stayed with the PF52!

In the quest to gain maximum filtering capacity, I gave in to my oil filter OCD.
crazy2.gif

There's nothing wrong with the PF47, it's a just small filter though.

Based on the pics, I'd stay with the PF52 too (and for the same reasons as you). That little bit of "exposure" is pretty minor.

To put your mind at ease, carry a spare filter in the trunk. If anything ever does nick that filter and cause it to leak, you'll have another one to put on.

Originally Posted By: va3ux

To put your mind at ease, carry a spare filter in the trunk. If anything ever does nick that filter and cause it to leak, you'll have another one to put on.

I was thinking the same thing!

The 3800 is such a bulletproof engine, with so many out there with 200,000 to 250,000+ miles on the odometer.... what exactly is the point of the larger filter?

I'm using the NAPA/Wix equivalent of the PF47 on my folks' Park Avenue (5K interval with PP 10w-30), and I'm not worried about the filtering ability of the smaller filter one bit.

I once lost an oil filter on my Goldwing to a piece of road debris at 11pm at night. That was an experince that I wouldn't want my folks to replicate, just because I thought they needed more filter, for some odd reason.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Your Buick and my Buick are the same car; only your trunk is bigger.

And which Buick do you have?

Sorry, the Park Avenue isn't the same car but with a larger trunk.

The Park Avenue is longer bumper to bumper, wider, taller, has more room in the cabin for driver and passengers, a longer wheelbase, has options that aren't available on the LeSabre, and costs several thousand dollars more.

Oh, and a larger trunk...

Other than all that, they're identical.
LOL.gif

Would you at least agree that the powertrain, drivetrain, and suspension are the same? Which is the point I was initially trying to make anyway . . .

Smile, boyz. You can't begrudge someone's feeling of "distinction" here, can you?
21.gif
I mean a Fiero was just a Citation frontend put on the back and a Chevette front end put on the front. It's that warm and fuzzy feeling of a "kindred spirit" that counts.
grin2.gif

I'm smiling just fine...
grin2.gif

And I did better than I usually do.... I answered a question before it was even asked!!!

I looked at and drove several LeSabres before buying a Park Avenue, and there is a difference in the two cars. Not in the driveline and what not, but there are differences.

Speaking of a Fiero, I dated a gal who owned one (a silver '85 or '86 SE V6) and she wouldn't take ANY criticism of that car (I mean ZERO) before she would lash out and hard. (And Mr. Allen, you would have been lashed out at...) I never learned to keep my mouth shut about that car, and had many bruises to prove it.

It's been over 15 years now, she still owns it.

My wrench friend has a female customer that has a Fiero. It's a stick and needs something done to the clutch mechanism ..but the parts are obsolete. She just lives with it. I can't say that she's in love with the car ..but it seems that way. She's just not motivated to pay the $$$ to get it "right" since she can live with it. She's had it since new.

I would stay with the shorter PF47 filter. The way the filter sits on the two 3.8's that I service, a 94 Lesabre and 96 Regal, it is just much safer and less likely to get damaged. By the looks of the trans pan and engine oil pan, bottoming out is a rather regular occurence....

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
I mean a Fiero was just a Citation frontend put on the back and a Chevette front end put on the front.

Well, except for the 88s, which featured a new from-the-ground-up suspension. :)

Originally Posted By: Gary Allen
My wrench friend has a female customer that has a Fiero. It's a stick and needs something done to the clutch mechanism ..but the parts are obsolete.

I wonder which parts it needs? I can't imagine what could be unobtainable. There are some Fiero-specific parst vendors that are excellent and have tranny parts. Try http://www.rodneydickman.com or the fiero store.com

It was cobbled up from some previous repair by someone else ..but I'll pass on the sources. He's a ex-racer and a street rod builder that does regular repair too. If NAPA or the dealer doesn't carry it ..he's not the type to look too far for a part. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back