For a 4500-5000 OCI: Regular Wix or hi-performance?

Update, all,

I bought a Mobil 1 filter at WM today. The M1 was the same price as the Fram Tough Guard, and they have been out of the OEM filter, the AC Delco, for several weeks. This filter and the Dexos-rated Castol Magnatec should do me well for my short OCI.
They had M1 filters for $5-6??? Did you buy them all?

They had M1 filters for $5-6??? Did you buy them all?
No, about $10. And I still forgot to get the 6th quart the LaCrosse needs. I'll buy a qt. of Supertech 5W-30 on Sunday.

If that WM had had the 6-qt. box of Havoline, I'd have gone for that. But they didn't. The local store where I could have ordered it and picked it up, well, let's just say I didn't want to go there. (They seem to take pride in hiring the stupidest employees in the metro area -- and around here, that's saying something.)

No, about $10. And I still forgot to get the 6th quart the LaCrosse needs. I'll buy a qt. of Supertech 5W-30 on Sunday.

If that WM had had the 6-qt. box of Havoline, I'd have gone for that. But they didn't. The local store where I could have ordered it and picked it up, well, let's just say I didn't want to go there. (They seem to take pride in hiring the stupidest employees in the metro area -- and around here, that's saying something.)
Wait, you said the M1 filters cost as much as the TG did. :confused:

Wait, you said the M1 filters cost as much as the TG did. :confused:
Right. Both were $9.98. The AC Delcos were about $7.99, but they didn't have my filter.

WM is not always the cheapest at everything, I've found, or at least not around here.

Right. Both were $9.98. The AC Delcos were about $7.99, but they didn't have my filter.

WM is not always the cheapest at everything, I've found, or at least not around here.
Oh my. How much are Fram Ultras? They're 8.xx at my walmart. TG is like 4-5

Oh my. How much are Fram Ultras? They're 8.xx at my walmart. TG is like 4-5
Not sure -- I think the Fram Ultras might have been more, or I'd have looked seriously at them and would remember. The K & Ns were about $14, I think.

On top of that we pay ~9% sales tax, higher in the parish where I live. I hate this place.

I get my wix when ever I need parts from rock auto. I add a few filters with each order. I use regular(4.??)and xp(6.??)

when you say regular.. do you mean the pro-tec white can, standard wix or wix-xp?

the white can or standard wix would be more than fine.. you can also run a super tech filter. no problem what so ever.

I get my wix when ever I need parts from rock auto. I add a few filters with each order. I use regular(4.??)and xp(6.??)
I guess I should have ordered 2-3 filters from them. But getting packages at my work is more complicated these days thanks to WooHoo Flu Hysteria, and the package of filters certainly would not fit in my USPS mailbox at home.

Not sure -- I think the Fram Ultras might have been more, or I'd have looked seriously at them and would remember. The K & Ns were about $14, I think.

On top of that we pay ~9% sales tax, higher in the parish where I live. I hate this place.
Dang. :(

The standard WIX filter (black can) has a higher filtration efficiency than the XP (black can). In other words, the XP's lower efficiency allows it to go longer without loading up too much, hence a "long life filter" lol. Plus the standard is cheaper so I have always preferred it as my go-to filter.
But all oil filters have a margin of safety built in... when used for the rated interval and discarded, they still have some life left.

Back