For a 4500-5000 OCI: Regular Wix or hi-performance?

Planning to pick up an oil filter or 2 for 2021; I'll bring it and whatever oil I choose to my regular mechanic, and he can change the oil while he's doing one of the other services I need this month. I've used Wix filters on the Park Avenue and earlier on my Mercedes, and they seem solid and are well thought of here. Rock Auto and the Wix site both list the WL10255 as the standard filter for my LaCrosse with the 3.6L LFX engine, and also the WL-10255XP for the high-performance. I plan a 6-month, 4500-5000 mile OCI as usual, probably about 70% city driving, mostly in weather that makes tropical tree frogs hop for the A/C controls.

Is there any major reason to go with the high-performance unit for a short OCI?

Second, out of curiosity, Walmart has both of these available online. But their pic of the regular filter is of a much shorter Pro-Tec model. Is that a mistake on their part? The RockAuto and Wix sites show a very similar black canister for both.

Planning to pick up an oil filter or 2 for 2021; I'll bring it and whatever oil I choose to my regular mechanic, and he can change the oil while he's doing one of the other services I need this month. I've used Wix filters on the Park Avenue and earlier on my Mercedes, and they seem solid and are well thought of here. Rock Auto and the Wix site both list the WL10255 as the standard filter for my LaCrosse with the 3.6L LFX engine, and also the WL-10255XP for the high-performance. I plan a 6-month, 4500-5000 mile OCI as usual, probably about 70% city driving, mostly in weather that makes tropical tree frogs hop for the A/C controls.

Is there any major reason to go with the high-performance unit for a short OCI?

Second, out of curiosity, Walmart has both of these available online. But their pic of the regular filter is of a much shorter Pro-Tec model. Is that a mistake on their part? The RockAuto and Wix sites show a very similar black canister for both.
No advantage for XP at that OCI, plus the regular wix has a higher efficiency rating that the XP by quite a bit.

No advantage for XP at that OCI, plus the regular wix has a higher efficiency rating that the XP by quite a bit.
Kind of what I thought. Puzzling, though, that the WM site shows a much shorter filter for the regular than the other sites do.

I would have no problem running the standard WL10255 for a full year / 10K miles and just changing the oil halfway through. The filter can handle it. Up to you though.

I haven't seen the photo on WM you're talking about but... One thing I've learned is to never trust WM stock photos, they're wrong more than they're right.
Maybe I'll just buy the oil there, and order the filters from RockAuto.

The ACDelco? Dunno. RA has them for only a little less than the Wix, and I certainly used them on the Park Avenue. The Wix certainly has a good reputation.

I don't know how Wix is better. Are there specs to compare? I bought Wix once for my old M-B. It was closer to twice the price of M-B branded filter. It worked alright, but I doubt it was any better. It just feels right to use OE parts when it comes to oil filter, gaskets, water pumps, ignition coils, and other really important things.

I don't know how Wix is better. Are there specs to compare? I bought Wix once for my old M-B. It was closer to twice the price of M-B branded filter. It worked alright, but I doubt it was any better. It just feels right to use OE parts when it comes to oil filter, gaskets, water pumps, ignition coils, and other really important things.
Is there such a thing as a plus-sized ACDelco filter for the 3.6L LFX engine? There was one for the 3800 in the Park Avenue; it fitted fine and held a little more oil. Though I'm not sure there is much room for a larger filter in the LaCrosse's engine compartment.

The ACDelco site shows the PF63E and the UltraGuard Gold model, but they are apparently the same size.

Last edited:
Is there such a thing as a plus-sized ACDelco filter for the 3.6L LFX engine? There was one for the 3800 in the Park Avenue; it fitted fine and held a little more oil. Though I'm not sure there is much room for a larger filter in the LaCrosse's engine compartment.

The ACDelco site shows the PF63E and the UltraGuard Gold model, but they are apparently the same size.
The PF63 is the longer version of the PF48. I don't believe there is an AC Delco filter longer with the metric 22x1.5 threads. I am pretty sure Chrysler and Ford (FL820s) both have used that same thread pattern, but the baseplate/gasket size may be different.

Update, all,

I bought a Mobil 1 filter at WM today. The M1 was the same price as the Fram Tough Guard, and they have been out of the OEM filter, the AC Delco, for several weeks. This filter and the Dexos-rated Castol Magnatec should do me well for my short OCI.

Back