Ultra or Endurance for 2 OCIs?

It's also possible the Endurance (with same media as the RP) came out a hair better in ISO 4548-12 efficiency due to how the test was ran within the parameters of the test procedure. We also saw the OG Ultra test even better than what Fram claimed by Ascent, an independent certified ISO test lab.

I'm not worried about how it would hold up with use if it's rated for 25K miles. Especially if it's only ran 50-75% of that distance.

More and more filters are going from center tube holes to louvers. Even the Ultra and other Frams may switch over at some point. Just need to know about how they should look, and for the people that don't know, well put it in the bucket with 1000 other things people go through life not knowing about, lol.
I seriously doubt you will ever see a Prrs Plus/EX or ECOGARD or Prime Guard or yellow can Valvoline filter going to “louvers”. Most of the STP filters also don’t have louvers. Personally; I’ll stick to CHAMP, Premium Guard/a prime Giard.

Nope, since most are same price or more than Endurance. I’d gladly use a newer ULTRA.
The Endurance is a step above the Ultra, so it costs more of course. But it's cheaper than the RP because you're paying extra for the lable, purple paint and purple ADBV, lol.

I seriously doubt you will ever see a Prrs Plus/EX or ECOGARD or Prime Guard or yellow can Valvoline filter going to “louvers”. Most of the STP filters also don’t have louvers. Personally; I’ll stick to CHAMP, Premium Guard/a prime Giard.
I buy oil filters mainly based on performance and reliability, so lots of those wouldn't fit that requirement. Louvers are OK if they are formed well and pass my inspection before purchasing. Yes, somewhat a pain dealing with louvers, but "it is what it is". But I'm not going to stop buying a filter just because it has louvers.

It's also possible the Endurance (with same media as the RP) came out a hair better in ISO 4548-12 efficiency due to how the test was ran within the parameters of the test procedure. We also saw the OG Ultra test even better than what Fram claimed by Ascent, an independent certified ISO test lab.

I'm not worried about how it would hold up with use if it's rated for 25K miles. Especially if it's only ran 50-75% of that distance.

More and more filters are going from center tube holes to louvers. Even the Ultra and other Frams may switch over at some point. Just need to know about how they should look, and for the people that don't know, well put it in the bucket with 1000 other things people go through life not knowing about, lol.
It is possible but not proven with use yet.

And yea I highly doubt the Microgard Select that I currently have in both of my vehicles will ever go to louver design, they been consistent for a very long time in quality and construction.

And the point is no one should have to look, these companies build a product you should expect the product to have some quality control, there is literally no excuse or justification for them to put out an oil filter with louvers that are not open.

It is possible but not proven with use yet.

And yea I highly doubt the Microgard Select that I currently have in both of my vehicles will ever go to louver design, they been consistent for a very long time in quality and construction.
Yes, they seem to be consistent, until they aren't. It's a filter I've considered buying down the road.

And the point is no one should have to look, these companies build a product you should expect the product to have some quality control, there is literally no excuse or justification for them to put out an oil filter with louvers that are not open.
True, but throughout life people learn to "trust but verify". Especially lately when lots of things have changed and become dynamic over the last few years. Nobody is making excuses or "justifying" that closed louvers are "OK". I've said many times in many threads that closed louvers are not OK, and to be safe, verify they are well open and not mostly closed by visually verifying.

Last edited:
I buy oil filters mainly based on performance and reliability, so lots of those wouldn't fit that requirement. Louvers are OK if they are formed well and pass my inspection before purchasing. Yes, somewhat a pain dealing with louvers, but "it is what it is". But I'm not going to stop buying a filter just because it has louvers.
When they cheapen the “product” to where they are questionable then folks will choose something else. The louver transition is a joke anyways. Any way to cheapen a product

So me ZeeOSix: what filter brand do YOU use? 🤔🤔

When they cheapen the “product” to where they are questionable then folks will choose something else. The louver transition is a joke anyways. Any way to cheapen a product
Louvers don't necessarily equate to "cheapening". Louvers are fine if you know what to look for.

So me ZeeOSix: what filter brand do YOU use? 🤔🤔
Filters that perform/filter well, and are built good enough for my taste and don't fail in use. I've only been here like 13 years and have talked a lot about filters that meet those requirements. .😄 ;)

Some FU filters have holes and not louvers, like the XG6607 that fits my Subaru.

XG6607.jpg

OTOH, the large XG2 has rather tiny louvers!

XG2.jpg

Last edited:
I agree with that.. what filters have louvers all Purolator made filters?
Most Purolators and “made by Purolators” filters. I even have a Puro made MICROGUARD (O’Reily 51358) off friends 2018 Sentra that had 3,xxx miles on their house brand synthetic 5w30. I’ll post it soon.

It still bothers me or blows my mind that companies “cheapened out” and stopped punching holes in center tube.

Most Purolators and “made by Purolators” filters. I even have a Puro made MICROGUARD (O’Reily 51358) off friends 2018 Sentra that had 3,xxx miles on their house brand synthetic 5w30. I’ll post it soon.

It still bothers me or blows my mind that companies “cheapened out” and stopped punching holes in center tube.
Lots of filters, and an ever increasing number of filters are going with louvers. IMO, it's not really "cheapening out", it's just a different design to achieve the same purpose. Louvers are not a bad design IF they are not closed up too much.

A design is only as good as the manufacturing process can produce the design. Can have the best design in the world on paper, but if manufacturing can't make it per the design then there's a problem, and that's most likely what happens in the louver world. There's a reason there are Manufacturing Engineers and QA involved in product production. A Design Engineer is not the same as a Manufacturing Engineer.

I just changed my oil with Mobil 1 and installed a WIX XP. I think I have one Motorcraft left and a Champion XL I change my oil every 6 months, no matter what.. and I don't put on many miles.. maybe two or 3,000. I would like to try, that premium Guard, or that microgard XL, or the premium STP

Lots of filters, and an ever increasing number of filters are going with louvers. IMO, it's not really "cheapening out", it's just a different design to achieve the same purpose. Louvers are not a bad design IF they are not closed up too much.

A design is only as good as the manufacturing process can produce the design. Can have the best design in the world on paper, but if manufacturing can't make it per the design then there's a problem, and that's most likely what happens in the louver world. There's a reason there are Manufacturing Engineers and QA involved in product production. A Design Engineer is not the same as a Manufacturing Engineer.
I understand. Gotta admit I’ve cut quite a few with louvers that tore.

Maybe when I burn through my CHANP 2835’s I’ll go back to tough guards

What is bad about filters with louvers?
Let's say you are just a regular DIY person, you go to Walmart you buy your oil, you buy your oil filter and you head home for the oil change.

Well because you are a regular DIY person you didn't look to make sure those louvers are open because you shouldn't have to, now your filter is bypassing the whole interval causing wear, and then you have to hope your bypass valve is even functioning and you don't starve the engine.

Since both filters have rated mileage lives that cover the two OCI's with plenty of safety factor, my vote is the Endurance because the can looks really cool with the dark blue finish! :cool:

Back