Looking for the biggest most effective oil filter for a 2002 Ford Diesel 7.3

I know the Donaldson DBL7405 fits and is about twice as big as the stock one but are there any other options? Bigger? Reason I ask is I was given a brand new Wix 51792XD and I would love to know if that will fit? Length doesn’t matter but can anyone confirm if this will seal properly on a 7.3 it’s not listed as one that would fit however from what I found the gasket inner and outer diameter seem to be very close to what the stock oil filter spec is. I don’t wanna waste the filter trying to get it to fit and having to have a back up filter ready if I can help it. So if anyone can confirm if the Wix 51792XD OR EQUIVALENT would properly seal on a 2002 7.3 diesel that would be amazing!

Attachments

• CD673DCE-E152-4180-A82F-EDFD815BEF62.jpeg
    CD673DCE-E152-4180-A82F-EDFD815BEF62.jpeg
    138.9 KB · Views: 102
www.wixfilters.com

Excellent source for information on just about any filter. It will tell you dimensions, thread pitch, gasket diameter. Go from there.
Looked into that and the one that fits is slightly off in numbers but I’ve used bigger filters on other vehicles 4runners GM etc and obviously the numbers are slightly off and it claims to not work but it does? So depending on some factors both on the 7.3 end and other factors it may or may not fit. But anyways this is what I have found as numbers are concerned.
Wix 51792XD oil filter in our trucks it’s about 2x bigger than the normal 51734 the inside gasket diameter of stock is 3-9/16 inch and the XD is 3-13/16 the outer gasket diameter is 3-5/16 on stock and 4-5/16 on the XD. Outer diameter of the physical filter stock is 4-5/16 and the XD is 5-5/16. I got a great deal on the XD and would love to use it for my next oil change but I don’t want to get in there and not have a back up filter if this one does not seal? Any and all help would be appreciated please and thank you in advance! The thread is the same and the length does not matter to me I just want to know if anyone knows if this will seal around our actual housings because some variance still works but not sure if this is too much. Thank you.

Why not?

Filter specs and fitment need to be confirmed by the user.

T-rex, its for YOU to test if that is the route you want to go.

I have owned 6 7.3s and worked many many many others. The $9 Motorcraft is more than sufficient. You aren't doing it any favors by going with the bigger anything. The only one that feels better and notices is you. The 7.3 won't last longer, get more mileage, or run any different. There are plenty of 500,000 mile trucks still on the road with a common Motorcraft filter.

Last edited:
Amsoil dual bypass filter setup with a Fram Ultra XG8a as the full flow filter? Thats what I ran on my Jeep Liberty CRD for about 4 years. Helps filter out the soot and gives you two pretty large filters. I think it increased my oil capacity 1.5 quarts or so over just running a single XG8A on the engine block.

Amsoil dual bypass filter setup with a Fram Ultra XG8a as the full flow filter? Thats what I ran on my Jeep Liberty CRD for about 4 years. Helps filter out the soot and gives you two pretty large filters. I think it increased my oil capacity 1.5 quarts or so over just running a single XG8A on the engine block.
Increased oil capacity does not mean more lubrication to the the engine. It just means more oil to filter and keep clean. The 7.3 has zero need for bypass filtration.

The most effective one is the one with the best filtering efficiency.

Biggest is irrelevant unless you're trapping loads of garbage which is unlikely. How many filters have you cut open and found chock full of trapped particles?

XG8A is about half the size of the factory filter on a 7.3 But Amsoil does make a specific dual remote setup for the 7.3

Go with an oil bypass filtering system from Amsoil if you want to remove ultra fine particulate from the oil. If you cut open an oil filter and it has lots of metal dust and bits, then you have a problem that no oil filter will cure. A good Motorcraft, Wix, etc filter will protect your engine just fine. Air and fuel filters are what you really want to pay attention to.

Back