Footage from inside a working engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Johnny...I didn't know the fire inside was that much. I thought it was a very tiny amount of fire. The 2nd link is a larger picture.

Last edited:
Much better with music. Fire looks big in slow motion but at speed it don't have time to get to big. If that was at regular speed I don't think you would be able to see anything.

Last edited:
For sure...It would be a blur. Check out the 4 o'clock position when the piston goes back down. Looks like a whitish patch. I'm wondering exactly what it is / caused by.

Last edited:
One of my classes in college had a one cylinder engine with the cylinder made of glass. You could most definately see the fire at low rpm <600rpm. Anything higher and it looked like one continuous blue flame to the naked eye. The flame was only near the top of the cylinder and we could vary the throttle and timing to see how things changed.

Originally Posted By: undergroundnotes
For sure...It would be a blur. Check out the 4 o'clock position when the piston goes back down. Looks like a whitish patch. I'm wondering exactly what it is / caused by.

The only white patch I see is the incoming charge when the piston is going down on the intake stroke. They cut out most of the exhaust stroke. You can also see the unmixed fuel burning off the intake valve.

It's hard to make out what I think I'm seeing. Oh well. Interesting to see either way. I guess the camera is fed through a tiny tube (?), but from where on the engine is it inserted if that's correct?

I am having a serious hard-on right now looking at it.

Question: that's in slow motion right? Should the flame be there? And where the heck is the oil?

Originally Posted By: M1Accord
i expect to see oil as i am clueless about internal combustion engine operation.

Ah - the oil is below and above and flowing near the combustion chamber but the only tiny amount you might see is on the cylinder walls.

Interesting you are excited but don't know exactly what you are seeing....sort of an innate thing, like mating.

Originally Posted By: M1Accord
I am having a serious hard-on right now looking at it.

Question: that's in slow motion right? Should the flame be there? And where the heck is the oil?

Slightly slow motion... What you're seeing happens 116 times a second at 7,000rpm.

The flame is the air/fuel lighting off and forcing the piston down.

What I really like is watching the spark plug fire BTDC and watching as the majority of the flames occur right at TDC just like it should. I know how it all works in theory but it's neat watching it.

Bear in mind that (IMO) this a series of stills from multiple (hundreds) cycles, picked and sequenced to appear as a single cycle (sans exhaust stroke).

That's why the white fog on intake and the flame appear so choppy.

That yellow flame is bad, and due to the presence of oil, excess fuel, or poor combustion in the ring belt of the cylinder.

ah shannow that explains quite a bit:

Surely it's dark in there and freezing that motion requires 1/100000 of a second or so, eg a strobe photo like those of bullets ripping through cards or light bulbs exploding.

strobes need time to recharge. Shoot one could run a high powered timing light with delay feature.
grin2.gif

Shannow or anyone:

I was wondering if there was anything abnormal or not good about this engine. Are you saying the flame should look different (blue maybe)? BTW, the 2nd youtube.com link is definitely better.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: undergroundnotes
Shannow or anyone:

I was wondering if there was anything abnormal or not good about this engine. Are you saying the flame should look different (blue maybe)? BTW, the 2nd youtube.com link is definitely better.

Pretty much just the orange flame starting at the intake valve. The blue flame that you see when the spark plug first fires is what you want. The orange will show up as an increase in emissions and a loss in power. Prob not a whole lot but a little.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back