Fogs Recommendation, pls

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to put some small fog lights on my motorcycle for conspicuity, not for lighting the road. The twin headlights on my Suzuki V-Strom do a great job of putting light on the road, but a triangle pattern of lights with a pair of amber lights to the sides and slightly below the headlights improves drivers awareness of the motorcycle. I'll use amber LED bulbs in them due to a lack of alternator output...I need those last remaining watts for my heated grips and heated vest.

So...can anyone recommend any cheap, fairly decent round fog lights with universal mounts, probably in the 2-1/2" to 3" size? Does anyone know the brand of lights that are the same as PIAA but at reasonable prices without the marketing hype?

I found the PIAA clones...Optronics. Same lights, same packaging guts, sensible prices.
http://will.mylanders.com/mc/notes/read.pl?file=56 But, there might be even better options.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dparm
Get HIDs. They draw less power than a regular halogen bulb but output 2-3x as much light.

Which ones? Remember, I want amber color and low cost.

Originally Posted By: dparm
In that case, don't get HIDs. Cheap ones suck. And there's no OEM-quality ones that are amber.

Well, there's the Philips 85122 YX bulbs, but I'm not 100% sure those are made anymore since they're so tough to find.

In regards to the HID conversions...will the stock alternator provide enough power for the initial turn-on surge?

If the OP is seeking visibility only, it seems like overkill to add a HID kit when some simple LED running lights would do the trick for less effort and expense.

Last edited:
If you get a HID headlight kit it frees up some watts for the fogs. On a virago forum they like the chinese ebay bulb, IIRC a h4 replacement.

VW made a factory LED "fog" (appearance) light a few years back, but it's bluish white.

My car has some $20 walmart 3" round "fogs", they don't have paint on the bulb so they're more like spots. Yellow lenses. You can get 35w H3 bulbs to replace the stock 55. If you want to be different (different= noticed) you can wire the two spots in series, save power, and look like a late 90s saturn DRL setup. Properly wired with a 5 prong relay you can set up a "boost" switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back