Those who said a long distance=purchase bad idea..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Alfred_B
How much did you end up spending? I'm looking to get a GL450 or GL550 and found a few 2011 models with around 100k miles selling for $18k to $25k

2007 GL320 with 87k was listed at 16, I got it for below 15 delivered. And of course needed the rear shocks and the front suspension work, which wouldve been a very decent bill if it wasnt me doing the work and parts at wholesale, still over 1000 for me plus alignment. The price range on the early diesels is pretty short, Id imagine mine was one of the nicer ones at 16, and one with 220k was going for 9. Avoid the Bluetechs if you consider one. Those newer body styles are a lot nicer inside and out, and with the 550 the car is actually very quick, but very thirsty, my friend averages 13 and he ubers long distance a few nights a month. Fuel economy is a big concern for me, my wife was only pulling down about 14 in the x3, i dont know how since when I drove it I averaged 17 over 5000 miles. Ive gone 220 miles so far to about 1/3 of a tank, and thats about what the x would get to the fuel light. If at all possible, pay a little extra for one with less miles, more records and no bodywork, the 1-2k more will pay off long term if [censored] body work starts to shows it face a few years down the road.

That is the problem with buying items from a long distance. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
When we were looking for the Mustang, we started looking at used ones. Wife found one in downstate Illinois. We looked at the photos, talked to the salesperson and set up an appointment. Drove out there, and the first thing that I noticed was the rear bumper smacked (of course, that was not in the photos.) Ended up buying new, finding the last one in the country equipped like we wanted from a dealer in NC. We had it shipped up here and all went well.
Then there was the time that we bought a hot tub in Illinois. Ended out well, but I'll never do that again.

Originally Posted By: Audios
Originally Posted By: Alfred_B
How much did you end up spending? I'm looking to get a GL450 or GL550 and found a few 2011 models with around 100k miles selling for $18k to $25k

2007 GL320 with 87k was listed at 16, I got it for below 15 delivered. And of course needed the rear shocks and the front suspension work, which wouldve been a very decent bill if it wasnt me doing the work and parts at wholesale, still over 1000 for me plus alignment. The price range on the early diesels is pretty short, Id imagine mine was one of the nicer ones at 16, and one with 220k was going for 9. Avoid the Bluetechs if you consider one. Those newer body styles are a lot nicer inside and out, and with the 550 the car is actually very quick, but very thirsty, my friend averages 13 and he ubers long distance a few nights a month. Fuel economy is a big concern for me, my wife was only pulling down about 14 in the x3, i dont know how since when I drove it I averaged 17 over 5000 miles. Ive gone 220 miles so far to about 1/3 of a tank, and thats about what the x would get to the fuel light. If at all possible, pay a little extra for one with less miles, more records and no bodywork, the 1-2k more will pay off long term if [censored] body work starts to shows it face a few years down the road.

Thanks. I found a 2011 diesel GL320 for $22k with 114k miles on it. So yours was a good deal. The suspension work I have read is a standard expectation for 80-120k age range.

Originally Posted By: Audios
No smaller dealer out in Illinois. I wish it was a Catena, I started there about 17 years ago and some people I moved up with are still there. Probably couldve had more pull and of course, looked at it.

I'm gonna swing by there one of these days

Try and test drive one of the last 5 speed gas Smart cars

Shame they got discontinued before I had a chance to buy one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back