Fog Lamps - What's Legal, What'Not

I've had low hanging fog/driving lights before. They're good in snow, but have the potential to be hit with snow or snow banks. So they shouldn't be the only lights on.

What's great is that since they're so low, they really show the "shape" of the snow. My best setup is yellow fog/driving lights down low plus regular low beam head lamps.

But just to be clear, we're talking about fog/foul weather lights as displayed in this PIAA website right? Fogs shouldn't really project out as far as low-beam headlights and should be used together with low beams.

I've found through my own experiences that fog lamps don't work nearly as well as named during fog and white-out conditions. Low beams have always worked better for me than high beams and fog lights. As stated above, if visibility has gone down to a point where you need more light to see the side of the road then the safest option may be to pull off somewhere safe and wait out the storm. I've gotten caught in the middle of a nasty winter storm with 40-60mph wind speeds and visibility to maybe 20ft in front and any high beams or fogs just reflected off the snow and blinded me.
Absolutely +1 on all you say here. In the worst of conditions I too find that solely lowbeams are best. Generally, as regards forward vision in really poor conditions - I have found fog lamps to be disappointing. I refuse to drive for business purposes at night, in fog, and in a snowstorm. I'm lucky to be able to do this; some folks can't refuse to put themselves in that position.

The F-150 has nice fog lamps. The best part is they illuminate the side of the road. Especially nice when entering and exiting interstate ramps that are not artificially lit. Common in the rural areas around here. Even ones with truck stops at the exit. Now I know why Ford has the front section of the side windows lower. In three years I have not driven in the fog in the dark.

This is what you're looking for, specifically S.4.11.

Fog lamps​

4.11 (1) A motor vehicle may be equipped with 2 fog lamps, mounted on the front of the vehicle below the headlamps, that are capable of displaying only white or amber light.

(2) Each fog lamp must be

(a) mounted not more than 30 cm below the headlamps, and

(b) adjusted and aimed so that, at a distance of 8 m from the lamp, the centre of the beam is at least 10 cm below the height of the fog lamp.

(3) The fog lamp wiring and switch must permit simultaneous operation of the parking lamps, tail lamps, licence plate lamp and, if required, clearance lamps.

(4) The operator of a vehicle may use fog lamps instead of headlamps when atmospheric conditions make the use of headlamps disadvantageous.

[en. B.C. Reg. 476/98, s. 2.]

Wow. You nailed it! It is clear that you can have fogs come on without headlamps... but not without parking lights or clearance lights if the latter are required (by vehicle width). That is to say... in this jurisdiction (British Columbia, westernmost province of Canada). So, this would appear to be at odds with how some mfr's set up their vehicles...

Last edited:
What are the chances you would pulled over, and even get a ticket? Seems pretty minimal as the police have or should have better things to do than pull over someone running fog lights without front parking lights.
Very high! People with broken lights, forgotten ones or odd combinations tend to be drug runner or DUI cars. You get pulled over fast around here by state and local police. My wife had a light and NH state trooper was simply shining flashlight in back hatch area of car and just let her go when he asked to see her hospital badge.

Wow. You nailed it! It is clear that you can have fogs come on without headlamps... but not without parking lights or clearance lights if the latter are required (by vehicle width). That is to say... in this jurisdiction (British Columbia, westernmost province of Canada). So, this would appear to be at odds with how some mfr's set up their vehicles...
I would speculate that manufacturers set up their vehicles to be compliant with the most restrictive regulations in a given country. For example, Alberta's regulations don't provide for the fog lights to be used without low beams. The BC regs seem to be unique in their usage of the "disadvantageous" language. For that reason, if Ford (for example) made it possible to use fogs with just park lights (which they don't, and I assume that's the point you're making), someone operating that vehicle in Alberta could end up with a ticket for not having their headlights on as well. It's easier just to keep everyone compliant with one configuration.

The Alberta language (an excerpt relating to the relationship between headlights and fog lamps) looks like this:

(6) Fog lamps on a motor vehicle must be used only at the same time the low beams on the headlamps are used.

I have the same Rigid DOT compliant fog lamps that a poster mentioned above, mine are selective yellow.

I have them frenched into the front bumper.

They're on a separate switch, when there's too much black ice/whiteout I run fogs + parking lamps on back roads, but add my low beams to the equation on public roads/highways.

I have the same Rigid DOT compliant fog lamps that a poster mentioned above, mine are selective yellow.

I have them frenched into the front bumper.

They're on a separate switch, when there's too much black ice/whiteout I run fogs + parking lamps on back roads, but add my low beams to the equation on public roads/highways.
Thank you All, for your respective comments.

As it is related to this topic - within the last several years I had occasion to send a 1977 Mercedes Benz 300D to the scrap yard. Prior to sending it off (for scrap value) I "robbed" it. of all the parts I thought might be useful to me in some car-related future hobby endeavour. Now you may say that I was wasting my time (and storage space)...but among the things I saved were the engine oil cooler and the headlight / foglamp "bucket" assemblies. I thought that they were unique and well-made and I do remember just how powerful the Bosch foglamps were. I regret not having saved the multi-function headlamp switch which also incorporated the foglamp SW. plus right- and left "standing" lights.

Anyways, the die-cast (Al?) bucket assembly included of course the large-format round headlamps and the round Bosch foglamps, both of which are twist-knob adjustable. I am not sure how many OEM foglamp arrangements on vehicles are thumbscrew aimable.

I used a cutoff wheel to "liberate" the fogs from the headlamps (threw away the latter) and may use the former for a future project... an airdam under the frt bumper of my VW van. Might actually help stability of the van... but I'd also incorp the foglamps. It would not be strictly legal in BC because the fogs would be too low relative to the headlamps... but...

See attached snaps. That is not my van, but it is similar. Also, I thought it was neat that the foglamp lenses have an arrangement at their backs where the rubber boots fit over top, with a lip/flange, to exclude moisture.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210328-095022.jpg
    Screenshot_20210328-095022.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 12
  • PXL_20210328_203111564.jpg
    PXL_20210328_203111564.jpg
    226.4 KB · Views: 9
  • PXL_20210328_203052546.jpg
    PXL_20210328_203052546.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 6
  • PXL_20210328_202849576.jpg
    PXL_20210328_202849576.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 6
  • PXL_20210328_203158147.jpg
    PXL_20210328_203158147.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 7
  • PXL_20210328_203245543.jpg
    PXL_20210328_203245543.jpg
    250.5 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Fog lights are great for their intended purpose; added illumination in bad visibility conditions. Agree with an earlier post that the fog lights on an F150 are positioned, and work well. A very irritating thing tho are those that have their fogs on all the time, even on the interstate in clear conditions. Particularly annoying are those driving european cars which also have a very bright red rear fog light, which is quite blinding to those behind them when conditions are clear. There is a reason that in Germany the police will ticket a driver using fog lights in clear conditions.

Technically fog lights have to work in conjunction with vehicle low beams. I've heard of cases where states allow usage without low beams if the fog is bad enough.

This is what you're looking for, specifically S.4.11.

Fog lamps​

4.11 (1) A motor vehicle may be equipped with 2 fog lamps, mounted on the front of the vehicle below the headlamps, that are capable of displaying only white or amber light.

(2) Each fog lamp must be

(a) mounted not more than 30 cm below the headlamps, and

(b) adjusted and aimed so that, at a distance of 8 m from the lamp, the centre of the beam is at least 10 cm below the height of the fog lamp.

(3) The fog lamp wiring and switch must permit simultaneous operation of the parking lamps, tail lamps, licence plate lamp and, if required, clearance lamps.

(4) The operator of a vehicle may use fog lamps instead of headlamps when atmospheric conditions make the use of headlamps disadvantageous.

[en. B.C. Reg. 476/98, s. 2.]
Technically fog lights have to work in conjunction with vehicle low beams. I've heard of cases where states allow usage without low beams if the fog is bad enough.
Yep.

I would speculate that manufacturers set up their vehicles to be compliant with the most restrictive regulations in a given country. For example, Alberta's regulations don't provide for the fog lights to be used without low beams. The BC regs seem to be unique in their usage of the "disadvantageous" language. For that reason, if Ford (for example) made it possible to use fogs with just park lights (which they don't, and I assume that's the point you're making), someone operating that vehicle in Alberta could end up with a ticket for not having their headlights on as well. It's easier just to keep everyone compliant with one configuration.

The Alberta language (an excerpt relating to the relationship between headlights and fog lamps) looks like this:

(6) Fog lamps on a motor vehicle must be used only at the same time the low beams on the headlamps are used.
Bumped to mention:

I believe the SAE standard, which is the basis for many regulations for new cars in the US and Canada, says the same as the Alberta law. As with Canadian provinces, US states have different laws, some more lenient. SAE applies a restrictive standard across North America, saying new cars must be designed so optional fog lights can operate only when low-beam headlamps are on. What you do with the vehicle after purchase is between you and your state/provincial laws.

Back