focus wagon- please school me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
i'm looking like 2005-2007 and 2003ish.
some creampuffs appear locally from time to time (2000/2001...)
what should i expect at this age?
mileage varies 60k miles to 200+k miles...
automatic please. stick shift are pretty rare here.

Thank you

I don't know if they have issues mechanically, but I can say all the older ones I see around here have a pretty bad case of rocker rot. I would be keeping that thing clean, and getting it rustproofed, if I had one in the salty areas.

I'd have a look underneath if it were me.

Try to find the 2.3 instead of 2.0. It will be harder to find, but much more fun to drive. I've always like these. My wife doesn't like wagons.

I would wait for a manual if fuel economy is important. They are out there if you are not in a hurry, and the manual is pretty nice, good gearing, and the intake actually sounds pretty good on mine.
Get a zetec or duratec, the split ports drop a valve guide eventually.
Watch for rust, rockers especially, an 05 I looked at had one redone.
I think all the 05-07's have a lifetime airfilter, it has restriction meter so look at that after you do a WO run in the test drive. Its a pain to replace the filter and many go to a CAI after the filter has restriction. Many of them actually are lifetime filters if not used in dusty conditions though.
I couldn't find any dealbreaker common issues in my research and there are decent forums for them.
I would buy one again anyways, ours has leather and a height adjustable seat bottom which is a must with the sunroof if you are 6'+.

As mentioned by "Nitehawk55" the the Duratech has the timing chain. Depending on your point of view, it probably has the "Lifetime" air filter. (I can tell it robs lots of power from the engine on my wife's 05' Focus.) Good engine. Change out the fuel filter and change the transmission fluid and filter. Coolant also. Should have a great car for a long, long time. Good hunting! Bill.

Bill , did you change out that lifetime filter ?...options ?
This is one thing that concerned me when I got that one for my son .

It's a ZX5 with 5 speed BTW , he wanted a stick because it's his commuter car .

Last edited:
That's what my wife has, the ZX5. She loves the car. Right now the car has only 68k. miles so it could go awhile longer with the "lifetime" filter. But I'd love to change it out NOW! Wish there was an OEM option from another yr. Focus which would work in its place. (Something like the air boxes in the 11-12' Focus'.) Haven't read it being done yet. Hard to believe. There's the aftermarket route. I personally would not want the air filter cone too low b/c of water locking the motor. Hopefully soon, someone will have an OEM Factory option available.

Rocker panel rust and radiator support rot.I have seen them with bungee cords holding the radiator in.

Originally Posted By: sparky123
That's what my wife has, the ZX5. She loves the car. Right now the car has only 68k. miles so it could go awhile longer with the "lifetime" filter. But I'd love to change it out NOW! Wish there was an OEM option from another yr. Focus which would work in its place. (Something like the air boxes in the 11-12' Focus'.) Haven't read it being done yet. Hard to believe. There's the aftermarket route. I personally would not want the air filter cone too low b/c of water locking the motor. Hopefully soon, someone will have an OEM Factory option available.

I've read one guy taking the lifetime filter box apart and replacing the filter itself. It was a bit of work I recall though.
Next time I drive the Focus I'll have a look at what the manifold air pressure is at WO and make a note, then check again in a year or two. Mine was only driven on pavement before I got it so I doubt the filter is very dirty yet.
Another option is going to the wreckers, I'm sure the filter box would be cheap there.
On the plus side, its a true CAI, only at a stop will the intake temp warm above ambient at all.

Took a bit of a look at what K&N has . My son lives in northern Ontario so I wonder if extreme cold could cause issues in the winter ?
He just moved from Edmonton Alberta area a K&N on his 2011 F150 Ecoboost so I'm thinking it's OK in the cold .

Is there a documented instance of a Focus with a lifetime filter actually reaching restriction on the gauge? I remember looking at this when researching Focus wagons and I don't recall a single one. I view that system as a big plus for a used car, since you know that silicon ingestion during the life of the car is probably much lower. Absolute worst case--you'd have to change it once.

One thing to note when looking at these: if you want one with a Duratec 2.3, you may find them as old as 2003; California wagons with the PZEV engines used the Duratec 2.3 going back that far. The 2.0L is only available starting in 2005. (personally, I'd rather have the smaller engine and better FE, but to each his own).

I ended up getting a Transit Connect instead of a Focus wagon, but I think it a great car. If I found with a 2.0 5 speed at the right price, I'd still consider it.

It's pretty common for the lifetime filter to be replaced by an aftermarket air intake when the "lifetime" is up.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JOD
Is there a documented instance of a Focus with a lifetime filter actually reaching restriction on the gauge? I remember looking at this when researching Focus wagons and I don't recall a single one. I view that system as a big plus for a used car, since you know that silicon ingestion during the life of the car is probably much lower. Absolute worst case--you'd have to change it once.

One thing to note when looking at these: if you want one with a Duratec 2.3, you may find them as old as 2003; California wagons with the PZEV engines used the Duratec 2.3 going back that far. The 2.0L is only available starting in 2005. (personally, I'd rather have the smaller engine and better FE, but to each his own).

I ended up getting a Transit Connect instead of a Focus wagon, but I think it a great car. If I found with a 2.0 5 speed at the right price, I'd still consider it.

One thing I notice when the lifetime unit is replace is the comment in improved power . I don't know if that would always include improved fuel economy but it is mentioned in some reviews getting as much as a 3-5 MPG improvement . If that's the case it's worth a look . Problem is there is so many variables with these reviews and the like , you really don't know if it's on the level or not .

I will say my sons 05 with the 2.0 5 speed is zippy and easy to get a speeding ticket if you don't watch it !

Originally Posted By: nitehawk55

One thing I notice when the lifetime unit is replace is the comment in improved power . I don't know if that would always include improved fuel economy but it is mentioned in some reviews getting as much as a 3-5 MPG improvement . If that's the case it's worth a look . Problem is there is so many variables with these reviews and the like , you really don't know if it's on the level or not .

I will say my sons 05 with the 2.0 5 speed is zippy and easy to get a speeding ticket if you don't watch it !

Mileage is the only reason so far I'd think about changing the air filter system. I can get 33-35mpg tanks out of it, but it take only a little extra throttle to have the instantaneous mileage take a dump and its reflected in my tank mileage as well. I've never seen a noticable difference in mileage on the scangauage with an air filter change in my other cars and they have had filthy filters, so I'm a bit skeptical a new filter would do anything. But I have read the mileage improvement stories too... For now I'm leaving it alone.

Had no idea Dorman made such a thing. Part # 258-519. About $125 on amazon.com. But I read the comments and I'm wondering where exactly is this air filter located? Don't want to take wheel and liner off every time you need to change the filter.

Originally Posted By: sparky123
Had no idea Dorman made such a thing. Part # 258-519. About $125 on amazon.com. But I read the comments and I'm wondering where exactly is this air filter located? Don't want to take wheel and liner off every time you need to change the filter.

I think that is the case . Not one of Ford's finer ideas
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: nitehawk55

Any claims about increased fuel economy are simply due to the power of suggestion. A restricted air filter isn't going to impact fuel economy in a fuel injected car unless the car is barely running. Let's forget for a second about published research research on the subject (which is very clear . Just ask yourself "why would it matter?" If the car needs more air, the TB simply opens more. That's why cars have MAF sensors.

The link above addresses the whole "power issue" as well. Sure, at WOT a restricted air filter may cost a couple of HP. Realistically, that's just not an issue for a daily driver--and the filters showing any loss in HP are SEVERELY restricted, like shirts wrapped around dirty air filters sort of restricted!

I've seen some anecdotes on the Focus forum from some guy who claims he got 6mpg better after changing his air filter or whatever, but I put it straight in the "nonsense" category. I've never seen anyone actually say they've had restriction on that thing. I'd view it as a real plus on a used car--way better than some guy "cleaning" his air filter by hitting it on the ground and reinstalling it!

Well that's what I was sort of getting at JOD , you read all these reviews on a K&N forum and the like claiming improvements in one or both but it leaves me wondering too .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back