focus wagon- please school me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 03 ZX5 with 5spd tranny is pretty zippy and not a bad drive at all. It does get noisy/buzzy with winter tires, but during summer its not a bad drive at all, as far NVH is concerned.

If you get one with Zetec engine, the most common problems are coolant leaks from the thermostat housing. Usually it`s because the housing cracks. Mine started leaking shortly after I bought it. I got the new housing, but it turned out that the mating surface with the gasket was not smooth. However since the new housing was already purchased, that`s what I installed.

Also, it seems that the EGR tube is prone to clogging (it`s quite long) or rusting through. I dug through previous owner`s records and it was replaced at one point, so you may want to take a look at it before making a purchase.

Aside from that there is nothing else that is inheritably wrong with that car.

Duratec equipped examples may have some other minor issues, but in general these are solid cars that can take quite a lot of abuse as well.

Originally Posted By: JOD
Originally Posted By: nitehawk55
Is there a documented instance of a Focus with a lifetime filter actually reaching restriction on the gauge? I remember looking at this when researching Focus wagons and I don't recall a single one. I view that system as a big plus for a used car, since you know that silicon ingestion during the life of the car is probably much lower. Absolute worst case--you'd have to change it once.

One thing to note when looking at these: if you want one with a Duratec 2.3, you may find them as old as 2003; California wagons with the PZEV engines used the Duratec 2.3 going back that far. The 2.0L is only available starting in 2005. (personally, I'd rather have the smaller engine and better FE, but to each his own).

I ended up getting a Transit Connect instead of a Focus wagon, but I think it a great car. If I found with a 2.0 5 speed at the right price, I'd still consider it.

One thing I notice when the lifetime unit is replace is the comment in improved power . I don't know if that would always include improved fuel economy but it is mentioned in some reviews getting as much as a 3-5 MPG improvement . If that's the case it's worth a look . Problem is there is so many variables with these reviews and the like , you really don't know if it's on the level or not .

I will say my sons 05 with the 2.0 5 speed is zippy and easy to get a speeding ticket if you don't watch it !

Any claims about increased fuel economy are simply due to the power of suggestion. A restricted air filter isn't going to impact fuel economy in a fuel injected car unless the car is barely running. Let's forget for a second about published research research on the subject (which is very clear . Just ask yourself "why would it matter?" If the car needs more air, the TB simply opens more. That's why cars have MAF sensors.

The link above addresses the whole "power issue" as well. Sure, at WOT a restricted air filter may cost a couple of HP. Realistically, that's just not an issue for a daily driver--and the filters showing any loss in HP are SEVERELY restricted, like shirts wrapped around dirty air filters sort of restricted!

I've seen some anecdotes on the Focus forum from some guy who claims he got 6mpg better after changing his air filter or whatever, but I put it straight in the "nonsense" category. I've never seen anyone actually say they've had restriction on that thing. I'd view it as a real plus on a used car--way better than some guy "cleaning" his air filter by hitting it on the ground and reinstalling it!

I wonder if some of the improvement is caused by people installing a warm air intake to replace the factory CAI?
My old Neon has air intake temps at 60-70-80F above ambient and gets about the same mileage as my Focus, even with a shorter top gear. Other than that, the engines are almost the same, only the Neon uses a MAP sensor instead of a MAF. The Neon also never had instantaneous mileage as bad as the Focus either, it would bottom out at 18mpg in top gear up a hill, where the focus will show 13-14mpg on the same hill.
The one thing I haven't done yet on the focus is change the fuel filter, so maybe that has some restriction that is causing trouble?

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
My old Neon has air intake temps at 60-70-80F above ambient...

Does it have the factory intake system? That's really surprising if it does.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

It pulls air from the back of the engine compartment, they changed it in 96 to a cooler air intake. The neat thing is you could monitor what the thermostat was doing and watch the air temps in the engine bay rise and lower while the engine water temp stayed relatively constant.
Originally Posted By: Miller88
My 2011 Duratec 5 speed averages 34-36 MPG commuting back and fourth to work. On trips, 42+ is not uncommon.

That's what I was hoping for, but my wagon will barely get mid 40's holding a constant 60mph, so averaging 42mpg isn't going to happen. Maybe the newish tires, extra drag of the wagon shape, and hydraulic power steering, add up to a significant difference?

My 2011 Duratec 5 speed averages 34-36 MPG commuting back and fourth to work. On trips, 42+ is not uncommon.

That's what I was hoping for, but my wagon will barely get mid 40's holding a constant 60mph, so averaging 42mpg isn't going to happen. Maybe the newish tires, extra drag of the wagon shape, and hydraulic power steering, add up to a significant difference?

You have nothing to complain about. Your car has the cargo capacity of most modern CUV's with a compact car gas mileage.
That's why I don't like the CUV's and don't understand the craze about them. They are just jacked up hatches or wagons but come with a big gas mileage penalty.

It pulls air from the back of the engine compartment, they changed it in 96 to a cooler air intake. The neat thing is you could monitor what the thermostat was doing and watch the air temps in the engine bay rise and lower while the engine water temp stayed relatively constant.

It has to be the wagon shape. They are essentially the same car otherwise. What's the gearing on it? Mine has the highest 5MT gearing that ended up in Focuses.

I also take full advantage of DFCO - not sure if that was implemented on yours.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KrisZ
That's why I don't like the CUV's and don't understand the craze about them. They are just jacked up hatches or wagons but come with a big gas mileage penalty.

Being a taller version of a wagon has many advantages to some. I prefer the taller and more upright seating position in a CUV/SUV. I cannot tolerate a low-to-the-ground sedan/wagon. I feel like I'm laying back in the seat, because the roof isn't tall enough.

There are pros and cons to every package shape.

It has to be the wagon shape. They are essentially the same car otherwise. What's the gearing on it? Mine has the highest 5MT gearing that ended up in Focuses.

I also take full advantage of DFCO - not sure if that was implemented on yours.

Mine only does a true fuel cut around 2800-3000rpm and up, so letting off the gas at 60mph in 5th at 2600rpm still uses more gas than coasting in N according to my scanguage, which is a bit annoying... Probably 5th gear is a lower ratio on the newer ones too, I often pass in 5th at 55mph so it could be a bit lower and still be fine.
It is good mileage for a CRV cargo space but I was hoping to get 40mpg out of it based on what some are getting in the hatchbacks and 37mpg epa highway rating. Maybe as the tires wear and I will see about some lower viscosity power steering fluid, or maybe disconnecting the PS altogether for a time and see what that does.

Is there a documented instance of a Focus with a lifetime filter actually reaching restriction on the gauge? I remember looking at this when researching Focus wagons and I don't recall a single one. I view that system as a big plus for a used car, since you know that silicon ingestion during the life of the car is probably much lower. Absolute worst case--you'd have to change it once.

One thing to note when looking at these: if you want one with a Duratec 2.3, you may find them as old as 2003; California wagons with the PZEV engines used the Duratec 2.3 going back that far. The 2.0L is only available starting in 2005. (personally, I'd rather have the smaller engine and better FE, but to each his own).

I ended up getting a Transit Connect instead of a Focus wagon, but I think it a great car. If I found with a 2.0 5 speed at the right price, I'd still consider it.

JOD,

how is the Transit Connect doing?
does it fit your needs better than the Freestyle?
would you have waited for the 2014 new van-like Connect?

me i'm looking at focus/focii wagons for now because of supply issues: more available, and mechanics that know to work on them.

my dream would still be a loaded Freestyle. prices are good bottom, and if lucky you get a lot of car for the money...

P.S. i saw a few under $2500 locally (of course with tranny/TC problems) are you still interested in a second Freestyle?

Originally Posted By: pandus13

JOD,

how is the Transit Connect doing?
does it fit your needs better than the Freestyle?
would you have waited for the 2014 new van-like Connect?

me i'm looking at focus/focii wagons for now because of supply issues: more available, and mechanics that know to work on them.

my dream would still be a loaded Freestyle. prices are good bottom, and if lucky you get a lot of car for the money...

P.S. i saw a few under $2500 locally (of course with tranny/TC problems) are you still interested in a second Freestyle?

Good questions. I held onto the FS after I got the Transit Connect, in part because I was using the TC for a house project I was working on (I buy and restore/sell 1 or 2 houses a year to keep myself busy, so I had it filled with tools for the first 2 months). I wanted to spend some time driving it to see if I could live with it as my primary vehicle.

The short answer is "no"! It has a lot of upsides: ridiculous space, really low load floor (this is a big deal for me) and it will actually fit a full-size pallet inside--which is awesome. But there are some drawbacks. It doesn't have as much room behind the 2nd row of seats, so I end up driving it mostly as a 2 or 3 seater. It's also loud--like really loud. The FS is just so much nicer to drive. Part of this is that I've done a ton of sound deadening on the FS, so it's limo quiet; however, I can tell that sound deadening the TC would be such a challenge that I didn't bother.

As far as the new TC, it would probably be a better "replacement" vehicle for the FS, but then I'd feel badly about subjecting it to the sort of use to which I subject the TC. So, for now I'll be keeping both. I like being able to throw 2 dogs and 2 muddy mountain bikes inside--but if I'm driving any distance to get there, I'm going to take the FS as it's just so much nicer to drive.

I think a used FS can be a great deal (one of the reasons I got mine!) I've also noticed that fixing the transmission is more of an option now, since parts--mainly input shafts--are now available. I still keep an eye out locally for one with a bad transmission, but it would have to be here or in CA--out of the rust belt! Not like I need another one, but I'm really curious to try out the 6-speed swap, just as a fun project.

I would steer clear from these, my mom had a 2003 with the 2.0 Zetec and it was a rattle trap, never experienced someone so loud and vibrated so much, needed an alternator at 40k and starter was dying at 50k, suburban pulled out infront of her and squished the Focus like it was an aluminum can, they are very soft in accidents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back