Focus vs Vibe vs Sonata vs Town Country

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by clarkflower
I have. The question is what's better to have.
An 06 Toyota with no current problems and zero dollars or a 2008 Sonata with no current problems and 2400 in cash.

For me personally, the 06 Toyota that will likely still be running well in 5 years and, in the mean time, not be nickel-diming me to death every time I turn around. But, I am more interested in a vehicle that is a reliable low cost transportation appliance if I am trying to save money.

Originally Posted by jcartwright99
Originally Posted by wag123
I think the Focus for reliability is probably the best. I believe the 2010 had a timing chain so no belt to replace. The platform had been out since 2000 with out much mechanical change so most of the early gremlins had been dealt with by 2010.

Really?
http://dashboard-light.com/vehicles/Ford_Focus.html
Consumer Reports reliability ratings agree with this (but can't be posted).

Yes really. You lost me at CR! That 2.0 engine only has 140hp but is very very stout. It essentially was around since 2000 along with the Focus. It's not the smoothest engine in the world but it will last.

Now, if you want to talk to me about the first 3-4 years with the Focus. I would say they were kinda a mess. Lots of recalls and issues. However in 2008 updated the Focus, got rid of the optional 2.3 (think 1st gen Mazda 3) and give a slight rework and bump in power to the 2.0. I know of several that have made it well in the 200k mark with no issues. So yes, I would put it above the other cars he listed.

Is it a big car? No. Is it stylish? Not really. Is it dependable? Should be.

I show it is a decent car on this similar site

https://www.truedelta.com/Ford-Focus/reliability-88

Last edited:
If your looking for a cheap beater, any of the above will suffice.

At this age it all depends on the maintenance they've had. That'll determine overall reliability more than brand/mileage.
coffee2.gif

I think the Focus for reliability is probably the best. I believe the 2010 had a timing chain so no belt to replace. The platform had been out since 2000 with out much mechanical change so most of the early gremlins had been dealt with by 2010.

Really?

Yes really. You lost me at CR! That 2.0 engine only has 140hp but is very very stout. It essentially was around since 2000 along with the Focus. It's not the smoothest engine in the world but it will last.

Now, if you want to talk to me about the first 3-4 years with the Focus. I would say they were kinda a mess. Lots of recalls and issues. However in 2008 updated the Focus, got rid of the optional 2.3 (think 1st gen Mazda 3) and give a slight rework and bump in power to the 2.0. I know of several that have made it well in the 200k mark with no issues. So yes, I would put it above the other cars he listed.

Real world statistics don't agree with your conclusions.

An 06 Toyota with no current problems and zero dollars or a 2008 Sonata with no current problems and 2400 in cash.

For me personally, the 06 Toyota that will likely still be running well in 5 years and, in the mean time, not be nickel-diming me to death every time I turn around. But, I am more interested in a vehicle that is a reliable low cost transportation appliance if I am trying to save money.

I want to put this a different way.

If you had $5000 and your grandmother died and left you a Kia Sonata would you not take it and buy the vibe for 5000.

At some price it has to be worth a consideration.
What is it?

Last edited:

Really?

I show it is a decent car on this similar site

https://www.truedelta.com/Ford-Focus/reliability-88

Truedelta also shows that the newer model Focus' with the miserable DCT automatics are good cars. NOT!

Originally Posted by zzyzzx
I'd get the Focus, and the Vibe would be my second choice.

That would be my take too.

Focii of this vintage seem to hold up well other than rust.

I want to put this a different way.

If you had $5000 and your grandmother died and left you a Kia Sonata would you not take it and buy the vibe for 5000.

At some price it has to be worth a consideration.
What is it?

Do you mean not take the Sonata and spend the $5000 that I have? Of course not, I may be cheap but I'm not stupid! What I might do is take the Sonata, sell it, and buy something better. Like I said before, I have personally owned a Hyundai and it was a nightmare of a car. A 100k mile + 10 year old Hyundai is not something that I want to have to depend on to get to work and earn money with.

Last edited:
...€
Was it a similar car? Like I said my neighbor has one and she loves it. 250,000 miles

...€
Was it a similar car? Like I said my neighbor has one and she loves it. 250,000 miles

Yes, it was a top of the line V/6 Azera that only had 25k miles on it when I got rid of it. During the time that I had the car it never went more than 2 months without having to go into the shop, and it had some MAJOR problems repaired which would have been VERY expensive had the car not been in warranty.

Really?

Real world statistics don't agree with your conclusions.

Show me real world statistics with those 3 cars and model years! Don't use CR, where they are biased and down rate on infotainment systems.

As Lolvoguy said, it really depends on how the car was maintained.

Show me real world statistics with those 3 cars and model years! Don't use CR, where they are biased and down rate on infotainment systems.

I agree that how a vehicle has been cared-for is critically important on something this old with 90k miles on it. To be fair, the 2006 through 2011 Focus' are better cars that those that came before or after. But, personally, I would choose a 90k mile Vibe/Matrix/Corolla over a 90k mile Focus for the same money any day of the week. I also like the Vibe's and Matrix's small SUV/CUV practicality and comfortable seating position. These cars were obviously a blueprint for the immensely popular vehicles of this type that we are seeing now.

I'd always pick the newest, and lowest mileage. The Focus of that era were fairly reliable, and easy to work on/maintain. The Focus is a 9 yr-old car. The Matrix is 13. Both have nearly the same mileage and price. Thus, it's a no-brainer (Focus) - assuming overall interior/exterior condition is equal.

Originally Posted by kkreit01
I'd always pick the newest, and lowest mileage. The Focus of that era were fairly reliable, and easy to work on/maintain. The Focus is a 9 yr-old car. The Matrix is 13. Both have nearly the same mileage and price. Thus, it's a no-brainer (Focus) - assuming overall interior/exterior condition is equal.

Not me. The big difference for me is the statement by the OP that the Vibe has "great maintenance records", and the fact that it is a one owner car that is still owned by it's original owner so the maintenance records are verifiable. I reiterate, how a vehicle has been cared-for is critically important on something this old with 90k miles on it.

FYI a little furher I was supporting a son who just passed away.

My condolences on the loss of your son clarkflower. I missed that completely on the first go-around, sorry.

One of the complaints about Vibes of that era is that the odometers stop working after 299,999 miles. Which seems more of a positive when you think about it. The two trip meters can be used to keep track of miles beyond that.

I have an 05 Matrix with 150k that isn't perfect by any means but I do like it and get generous offers for it out of the blue. It has aged very well and never left me stranded. When parts go bad like a water pump or bearing they give you plenty of warning before they would leave you stranded. Which is kind of nice. Water pump was replaced under warranty at the 65k mark when I noticed coolant reservoir level going down faster than it should. It went from the full level to the low level over the course of one oil change. Since I notated the low fluid level to the dealership right before the warranty expired they covered it without me asking, they volunteered coverage. Plus kind of a common issue on those engines.

FYI a little furher I was supporting a son who just passed away and my old car went. I can get back on track saving pretty fast at 1600 a month

Thanks for the advice.

Pretty surprised nobody said the Hyundia. I read a lot of good.. timing chain

Sorry to hear about the passing of your son. My condolences to you.
frown.gif

I agree that how a vehicle has been cared-for is critically important on something this old with 90k miles on it. To be fair, the 2006 through 2011 Focus' are better cars that those that came before or after. But, personally, I would choose a 90k mile Vibe/Matrix/Corolla over a 90k mile Focus for the same money any day of the week. I also like the Vibe's and Matrix's small SUV/CUV practicality and comfortable seating position. These cars were obviously a blueprint for the immensely popular vehicles of this type that we are seeing now.

Wow...so you get two chunks of years to choose from 2000-2012 and 2013 to 2019. Way to skew those stats. I already stated that the first few years were bad. I would stay away from 2000-2005. I don't know why you are sparring with me on this. If you can show that the 2010 specifically is unreliable, I would like to see it.

Sadly I'm 5-10 and with my seat adgusted I could barely get in the back. Too small for Uber

Wow...so you get two chunks of years to choose from 2000-2012 and 2013 to 2019. Way to skew those stats. I already stated that the first few years were bad. I would stay away from 2000-2005. I don't know why you are sparring with me on this. If you can show that the 2010 specifically is unreliable, I would like to see it.

I said... "To be fair, the 2006 through 2011 Focus' are better cars that those that came before or after."
I also said... "I agree that how a vehicle has been cared-for is critically important on something this old with 90k miles on it."
If the OP had made the same "great maintenance records" and "one owner" statements about the Focus as he did the Vibe, I would have recommended it. I have to assume that the Focus is/was an auction car that has/had an unknown history. That alone makes ANY 90k mile car a questionable investment IMO, regardless of the make and model.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back