Focus vs Vibe vs Sonata vs Town Country

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the Focus for reliability is probably the best. I believe the 2010 had a timing chain so no belt to replace. The platform had been out since 2000 with out much mechanical change so most of the early gremlins had been dealt with by 2010.

IMO I would put Vibe/Matrix on par with Focus, except the Focus can probably be fairly easily negotiated down to something like $3500, Vibe/Matrix will be more expensive because of Toyota badge. T&C is more like a $2k vehicle with the miles and the craze for SUVs.
I would not touch the Sonata, I had a brand new 09 or 10 for a week as a rental and it rode like it was bottoming out on the stops. The suspension was was that harsh.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by FordBroncoVWJeta
Vibe, made by Toyota and they are reliable. I'd offer 4500 and see what he does.

I've done that. He let me walk. And he has not called me back at 5,000 even...yet

Originally Posted by KrisZ
IMO I would put Vibe/Matrix on par with Focus, except the Focus can probably be fairly easily negotiated down to something like $3500, Vibe/Matrix will be more expensive because of Toyota badge. T&C is more like a $2k vehicle with the miles and the craze for SUVs.
I would not touch the Sonata, I had a brand new 09 or 10 for a week as a rental and it rode like it was bottoming out on the stops. The suspension was was that harsh.

You are right on the TC but a focus exactly like that one (an sel) goes through our dealer only wholesale auction (nationwide) for 5. He was much higher to start though he may move if I find flaws when I see it.

Base $3,025
Avg Odo (mi)
Avg Cond
+ $920 miles

Actual sales $3000 with 131123 miles
3870 107,000
5100 93000
5000 87,000

Last edited:
Originally Posted by supton
Originally Posted by StevieC
Town and country are hard on gas with the 4 Litre engine. The vibe's are super reliable / durable

Didn't know about mpg but 4.0 is also timing belt--forgot to mention that.

Yeah they are really hard on gas. Aunt had one and was happy to get rid of it for the 3.6L PentaStar. It's that much better.

17mpg City 25mpg highway and I think they are being generous with those numbers. Especially in cold climates.

Originally Posted by clarkflower
I didn't know that there were engine choices in the Chrysler

I adjusted taxes and tags into the prices of all vehicles.

A big question to me is the Sonata as it could go through at 3600 wholesale book value. The last two actual sales were both $4000 for identical vehicles inc both miles and condition.
On the bad side is a 1 year older one just brought 4400... same shape options miles

Your priorities are screwed-up. In your situation, you should be MUCH more concerned with the mechanical integrity and reliability/durability/longevity of the vehicle you are purchasing (for the amount you are spending) than what the price is relative to auction/book values. This is particularly true if you are using the vehicle to make a living or supplement your income, like you are doing. If you don't mind having to replace the vehicle in 1 or 2 years, then buy whatever you want, but if you want something that will last and not put you in the poor house, you need to be VERY careful about what you purchase in this price range.

I thought 17/25 was the current mpg for Caravans? Regardless, last time I looked at Fuelly they were turning in 18mpg, give or take. [My truck was like 13! ouch! makes me glad I get more like 16.]

Originally Posted by FordBroncoVWJeta
Vibe, made by Toyota and they are reliable. I'd offer 4500 and see what he does.

That IS what he is paying for the car. He included TT&L fees in the prices he listed.

Originally Posted by jcartwright99
I think the Focus for reliability is probably the best. I believe the 2010 had a timing chain so no belt to replace. The platform had been out since 2000 with out much mechanical change so most of the early gremlins had been dealt with by 2010.

Really?
http://dashboard-light.com/vehicles/Ford_Focus.html
Consumer Reports reliability ratings agree with this (but can't be posted).

Originally Posted by wag123
I didn't know that there were engine choices in

Your priorities are screwed-up. In your situation, you should be MUCH more concerned with the mechanical integrity and reliability/durability/longevity of the vehicle you are purchasing (for the amount you are spending) than what the price is relative to auction/book values. This is particularly true if you are using the vehicle to make a living or supplement your income, like you are doing. If you don't mind having to replace the vehicle in 1 or 2 years, then buy whatever you want, but if you want something that will last and not put you in the poor house, you need to be VERY careful about what you purchase in this price range.

I thought I'm looking at all cars that are suppose to have mechanical integrity.

Some swear the TC is a 250,000 mile car
The Toyota/Vibe people swear by
True Delta puts the focus with the Vibe.

Price does matter. What if I get the Hyundia for 2600 book. Then I have 2400 for repairs.

Last edited:
Price does matter. What if I get the Hyundia for 2600 book. Then I have 2400 for repairs.

Being without a vehicle, why in the world would you consider buying a vehicle that needs $2400 in repairs, regardless of the purchase price? Your priorities are DEFINITELY screwed-up. One should always purchase the best vehicle not needing repairs that they can afford. You have a LOT to learn and it looks like you are going to have to learn the hard way.

I've seen a lot of Toyotas and Hondas on the side of the road with the hood up.

Any car has a chance of a water pump going Or a wheel bearing. I'm not looking at cars that need 2500 in repairs The cars I'm on are perfect as best we can tell.
As I see it any car has a chance of breaking and any cash I save is a chance to fix it.

My neighbor has 250,000 on her Sonata v6 With minimal repairs.

Last edited:

Being without a vehicle, why in the world would you consider buying a vehicle that needs $2400 in repairs, regardless of the purchase price? Your priorities are DEFINITELY screwed-up.

Am confused--he didn't say it needed $2,400 in repairs, he's saying he has a budget that would allow for up to that much in repairs. Tires, fluids, whatever.

Sounds wise to me. Instead of maxing out his budget on purchase only to get bit by an unforeseen repair, he's making sure to hold some money back "just in case".

Correct and thanks
Buying the cheapest good condition car with no known inherent faults like the Nissan CVT.
Any funds saved go into emergency savings

Last edited:
FYI a little furher I was supporting a son who just passed away and my old car went. I can get back on track saving pretty fast at 1600 a month

Thanks for the advice.

Pretty surprised nobody said the Hyundia. I read a lot of good.. timing chain

Last edited:
I've seen a lot of Toyotas and Hondas on the side of the road with the hood up.

Any car has a chance of a water pump going Or a wheel bearing. I'm not looking at cars that need 2500 in repairs The cars I'm on are perfect as best we can tell.
As I see it any car has a chance of breaking and any cash I save is a chance to fix it.

My neighbor has 250,000 on her Sonata v6 With minimal repairs.

The reason you see a lot of Toyotas and Hondas on the side of the road with the hood up (I don't see this myself) is because there are a LOT of old Toyotas and Hondas still on the road. I never said that Toyotas don't break, THEY DO BREAK, just not nearly as often as other competitor's vehicles and not usually catastrophically. Did you even look at the link that I put in my first post? Did you research the repair records of some of the other vehicles you are looking at?
It looks to me like you are going with (or leaning towards) the Sonata. IMO there is a reason why they are so cheap. I have personally owned a Hyundai and it was a nightmare of a car! I recommend against it, but it is your money, buy what you want.
http://dashboard-light.com/vehicles/Hyundai_Sonata.html

Last edited:
I have. The question is what's better to have.
An 06 Toyota with no current problems and zero dollars or a 2008 Sonata with no current problems and 2400 in cash.

And I see new Toyota's on the side of the road. It's not just old ones
Sheet happens.

2002 new Acura transmissions failed at 80k

Originally Posted by jcartwright99

Really?
http://dashboard-light.com/vehicles/Ford_Focus.html
Consumer Reports reliability ratings agree with this (but can't be posted).

Yes really. You lost me at CR! That 2.0 engine only has 140hp but is very very stout. It essentially was around since 2000 along with the Focus. It's not the smoothest engine in the world but it will last.

Now, if you want to talk to me about the first 3-4 years with the Focus. I would say they were kinda a mess. Lots of recalls and issues. However in 2008 updated the Focus, got rid of the optional 2.3 (think 1st gen Mazda 3) and give a slight rework and bump in power to the 2.0. I know of several that have made it well in the 200k mark with no issues. So yes, I would put it above the other cars he listed.

Is it a big car? No. Is it stylish? Not really. Is it dependable? Should be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back