Focus vs Vibe vs Sonata vs Town Country

Status
Not open for further replies.
2010 Focus 88,000 Leather Sun Roof $5000
2006 Vibe 90,000 1 owner (but before coming south 1st 9 years in Illinois) great maintenance records $5200
2010 Chrysler Town and Country 158,000 1 owner good maintenance records $3800 (could make more doing Uber as they pay more for some trips)
2008 Sonata 98,000 Leather Sun Roof 3 owners 4000 to 5000? at wholesale auction tomorrow morning

My thought- I have 5000 so the town and country is a nice price but my last 3 cars have basically gone out at:115,000 miles gm 3.8 wrist pin, 135000 miles 3.8 GM seized while my son had it. BMW 525 head gasket 130,000, Tiny Kia at 113,000 could not pass emissions valve job, so the miles scare me. I've driven these for the county and see huge miles but I've also see them drive weeks in the cold with no water and only when its hot do you see a head gasket is gone. This one has the dipstick broke off so I can see the oil, but it shows on car fax it was just changed.

Thanks

Last edited:
In that price range I would look at Ford Fusion. No timing belt.. 2.3L or 2.5L both 28+MPG cars. Well loved on this forum and a value.

Of the vehicles that you mentioned, IMO the Vibe is the obvious choice.
http://dashboard-light.com/vehicles/Pontiac_Vibe.html
It is really a Toyota Matrix (Corolla) with the Pontiac name on it. Besides the reliability/durability/longevity that this chassis is known for, this particular Vibe has low miles, great maintenance records, and is a one owner. This particular car has the potential of going at least 100k miles further without spending a small fortune on it, the other vehicles on your list won't.
When looking at $5k vehicles, your #1 priorities should be... mechanical integrity, condition, how much is this vehicle likely to cost me going forward, and how long will it last (so you can get your money's worth out of it). Getting features like leather and sunroof should be well down on your priority list.
Personally, I would RUN from the Focus. Look where it is on the reliability list.

The Town & Country w/158K seems like an oddball to include on the list but you have seen these cars, right?

Since I looked at a low mileage 2006 Matrix (passed on it due to lack of urgent need) I lean toward the Vibe.
A friend said a Pontiac Vibe might land at a lower price point since it ain't wearing aToyota badge.
I did some looking online and low mileage Vibes and Matrices were priced the same....so I guess the auto world knows they're the same car.

Geared transmission...good news as the mechanic who worked on it said it was a CVT.
IIRC there were some improvements in place for the 2006 MY.

See about this: Did that chassis have a new fangled, electrically controlled steering system? Check on that.

I've seen all cars except for the focus as the owner is away.

I work at a car auction but am not a mechanic
Sometimes I'm a parts changer. Sadly we have not had cars the meet my specs in a few weeks and I have no car.

The town and country was nasty now cleaned. Needs a front window that I've included in that price. The appeal is it pays double for some rides with Uber. It might make me an extra 100 a week as I work 2 nights a week. It's from a dealers friend. It one came up it would be 2600.
If a vibe came up, Last sale for a similar vehicle was 3700.
The vibe Is a consignment vehicle at a dealer the price includes $500 for taxes title

Originally Posted by clarkflower
I've seen all cars except for the focus as the owner is away.

I work at a car auction but am not a mechanic
Sometimes I'm a parts changer. Sadly we have not had cars the meet my specs in a few weeks and I have no car.

The town and country was nasty now cleaned. Needs a front window that I've included in that price. The appeal is it pays double for some rides with Uber. It might make me an extra 100 a week as I work 2 nights a week. It's from a dealers friend. It one came up it would be 2600.
If a vibe came up, Last sale for a similar vehicle was 3700.
The vibe Is a consignment vehicle at a dealer the price includes $500 for taxes title

So, the Vibe's price includes TT&L? Also, since it is a consignment, it means the the original owner still owns it. Jump on it before it gets away.
The extra UBER money you will make on the T&C will be eaten-up (and then some) keeping it on the road. Also, the fact that it was nasty when it came in should tell you something about how it was cared-for. I would pass on it if I were you.

I didn't know that there were engine choices in the Chrysler

I adjusted taxes and tags into the prices of all vehicles.

A big question to me is the Sonata as it could go through at 3600 wholesale book value. The last two actual sales were both $4000 for identical vehicles inc both miles and condition.
On the bad side is a 1 year older one just brought 4400... same shape options miles

Last edited:
Does the Sonata still need to have the (rear track bar / stabilizer / whatever it is called) unbolted in order to remove the rear rotor? It's not truly awful, not timing belt awful, but it's not quite the 10 minute job it should be either. And FWIW the 2014-ish that I worked on had phenolic pistons in the caliper which promptly died within a month--thankfully we we replaced calipers and pads before the rotors got too chewed up--but I still had to pull that bolt in order to get the caliper bracket off.

Originally Posted by Rand
none of the above.

I've been looking for weeks. These are my only options. I'm in a rental at 24 a day

those are all loaded up old heaps.
you want a stripped down newer one.
who cares about sunroof or leather if it wont run reliably

The Vibe is overpriced, but might be the best of the bunch if its not all rotted out.. would need a good inspection.
of course not sure who would pay 5000 for a 13 year old vibe.. thats more $3000 car to me.
13 year old rubber parts tend to fall apart.. and who knows what that many years in the salt belt did to the car.

Those all look like they could be decent 3rd car.. but nothing I would depend upon daily to get me to work (or for work)

There was a 2013 kia soul base model for $5800 near me. had 90000 miles.

Originally Posted by clarkflower
I didn't know that there were engine choices in the Chrysler

I'm not sure what years exactly but there was a stretch around 2010 that had V6 and V8 options. And I really have no clue about what ATX they were using back then. The T&C is typically an easy car to work on yourself and maintain. They drive nice, too.

Not sure I really like any of the options. I hate to be a Toyota snob and say that one, but, it sounds best. Assuming it's not a 2.4 nor manual trans--I'd avoid if it was either.

I presume you can give any of these a good look-over before buying? Rust, bad looking oil, mold, neglect, the usual inspection.

Not sure what you need out of the vehicle (high mpg, move lots of people, cheapest TCO). I wonder if you need to just keep looking for a few more days. Maybe buy something that needs work and continue to rent while it's getting repaired?

Get the Vibe if it's not too rusty
smile.gif

Town and country are hard on gas with the 4 Litre engine. The vibe's are super reliable / durable

Last edited:
Originally Posted by StevieC
Town and country are hard on gas with the 4 Litre engine. The vibe's are super reliable / durable

Didn't know about mpg but 4.0 is also timing belt--forgot to mention that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back