Focus vs Vibe vs Sonata vs Town Country

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by clarkflower
Sadly I'm 5-10 and with my seat adgusted I could barely get in the back. Too small for Uber

The Vibe should work for you. The car is more upright and the seats are up off of the floor more like a chair, and they are comfortable because they give better thigh support for individuals with longer legs. In that time era, the Vibe/Matrix was the only small car that was setup like this that I am aware of.

Originally Posted by wag123
FYI a little furher I was supporting a son who just passed away.

My condolences on the loss of your son clarkflower. I missed that completely on the first go-around, sorry.

Thanks. Been rough. And thanks Steve C too. I just did the intake manifold gaskets as I was going to give the 111,000 mile Pontiac 3.8 to him. I wanted it to be right. Lost them both and the money for the intakes.

Town and Country, looked good but was rough driving . Lots of deep clanging over bumps that I can't put my finger on. Somethings there and then the brakes go to the floor.

2 down

Last edited:
Sadly I'm 5-10 and with my seat adgusted I could barely get in the back. Too small for Uber

The Vibe should work for you. The car is more upright and the seats are up off of the floor more like a chair, and they are comfortable because they give better thigh support for individuals with longer legs. In that time era, the Vibe/Matrix was the only small car that was setup like this that I am aware of.

Thanks
Keep coming back to that one. Auction tomorrow on the Sonata. Any thoughts on it. Bid 2750 and stop or Vibe at 5200?
Would any low number equal the Vibe?

Last edited:

Thanks
Keep coming back to that one. Auction tomorrow on the Sonata. Any thoughts on it. Bid 2750 and stop or Vibe at 5200?
Would any low number equal the Vibe?

Is there any chance that the Vibe's owner/consignor would consider a reasonable offer?

Don't know who the owner is.
At 45 he let me walk.
He called me Wednesday at five and I told him I had five but had not been able come up with the other two. I thought he might've called yesterday.
The car is priced at 4500 with the rest going to tax in his $500 document fee

I'll have zero if I do it. My next check completely goes to rent. Next "free" money is not till the 13th when I get my early retirement and another paycheck and I'll be ok again

Last edited:
Thanks to all

I've always told my children that this BB is the best resource for advice on everything

Lots of great unbelievably knowledgeable people who will put out the effort to help

Where else will people put up step by step pictorials on how to do a repair. Send you their phone numbers..

Great people!

Last edited:
No question, take the Vibe. My daughter had a 2005 until she rolled it on black ice a couple of years ago. Very easy maintenance and super reliable.

I started shaking my head when seeing the $500 "documentation fee" for the Vibe, but if tax and title is let's say $350, that $5200 total is a $4850 car. I'd like to see that a grand lower, but since it's at a dealer, it probably is around the average ballpark for the mileage and stack of receipts.

Of these choices, I'm partial to the Vibe due to Toyota, receipts, and it's a good "do everything" vehicle. Vibe has good room for what it is, some of that room is probably from lack of seat padding, but it gets the job done. It also has lots of room in the engine bay if things need fixing, and even used transmissions for them are cheap. Just don't buy a manual transmission version unless it's priced right.

The Vibe has most of the Toyota Tax with it, which is bad when buying used, good when selling used. The only exterior problem I know of to worry about is the paint is considered thin, at least on the front of the hood since it gets lots of rock chips, so be sure to look for repainted areas on the car. My only real concern, since it was in the snowbelt, would be if any rust was painted over. And of course take a good look underneath it for rust.

I say the above while not knowing much about the Fusion. I'm cautious of any Ford now due to paint and rust problems, though doesn't sound like you have to worry about rust there. I think Hyundais are good, but less so pre-2012.

Would rather see you get a higher-mileage 2006 Vibe for cheaper than this one, but you're bleeding money on the rental, and apparently there's only so many options right now. Someone needs to mention the irony of the OP working at a car auction yet is having trouble finding a car.

Or just disregard your prior bad luck and get a 2000-ish FWD GM 3.8 with 200k on it for like $1500 or something. Aren't there any Lincoln Town Cars or Grand Marquis there? Assuming you don't mind the mpg and never parallel park.

Originally Posted by DejaVue
Someone needs to mention the irony of the OP working at a car auction yet is having trouble finding a car.

I don't find this ironic. Most individuals involved with the used vehicle business (like working at an auction) are well aware of the fact that a large percentage of the older vehicles coming through the auctions are flawed in some way, some with major defects, that is why they were traded-in and that is why the dealers bring them to the auctions. Dealers don't generally bring the really good vehicles they take in on trade to the auctions because they can easily find retail buyers for them and make more money. Most auctions have rules that require the sellers to disclose major defects or the sale could be arbitrated and subsequently cancelled, but their rules only apply to newer and lower mile vehicles. Older and higher mile vehicles are auctioned on an as-is/as-shown basis except for undisclosed title problems (like branded titles).

I started shaking my head when seeing the $500 "documentation fee" for the Vibe, but if tax and title is let's say $350, that $5200 total is a $4850 car. I'd like to see that a grand lower, but since it's at a dealer, it probably is around the average ballpark for the mileage and stack of receipts.

The "documentation fee" may very well be the fee that the dealer/consignee is charging for his services. He may also be charging the seller/consignor a fee. This could be the reason for why the seller/consignor is unwilling to move on the price. The auctions also charge both the seller and the buyer.

In the end my boss got involved, put a mechanic on the car and I ended up with the Sonata and much money left in the bank and an offer of help from the huge dealer seller (think Dale Jr) if any problems arise vs the Vibe and absolute zero as he would not even drop 200.

I just could not do the Vibe and leave myself with zero dollars for 17 days. I do mean zero.

Re being at the auction. I can't bid as I'm not a dealer. I have to ask someone to bid for me and I'm working so I can't be there or change up midstream on a freak. I have to pick one that I think will be in my range, do the work and get a number. I can't give my buyer a list of 29 cars to bid on as it's a favor.

A few weeks back I was out bid on an 06 sonata with 50,000 miles. I set $2800 and it brought 4400. Lately our cars have been either too new/good or too old/nasty or something slips by. I'm sure I'll see 20 this week. I was in an 2010 Mazda CX-9 with 90,000 that I assumed would be too high and it was only bidding 4000. I wanted to start bidding from the car but couldn't ...€
And I didn't know anything about it. I've been in great looking cars and then shocked to hear frame damage in the lane. No Uber with a unclean title.

The Sonata I'll be able to use longer as the 06 Vibe would be too old for Uber in 2 years. I found a huge bunch of medical paperwork with lots of personal info in it and returned them to the old owner, a disabled Marine who seems very well-off in a nice house 2 new cars: He said no problems with the car and thanked me.

Thanks to all. I know the consensus seems to be for the Pontiac vibe, and if not for money I would have bought it, and if I didn't get the Sonata I would have though if anything broke like a water pump it would've been a statue for tweeks or months as I wouldn't have any money to fix it.

Last edited:
BTW

WAG is exactly right. Not just on the trades either. Used car dealers, buy here pay here dealers run their flawed cars through with thick oil so you don't here the rod knock. Cars with bars head gasket sealer in them- fresh oil so you don't see the milk shake. Cars that will not pass emissions. All codes check engine lights reset. Transmission issues. Things that only show when the car is hot.

I drove the Sonata 150 miles and all seems well

774D1AE7-F0E0-4D47-BC12-DD3ED977FC38.jpeg

4BF69F84-BA27-4C01-BE72-A6D935A66949.jpeg

64B9B6D1-9374-41C6-8699-1D9415EE81E4.jpeg

5C94EA2A-A0AF-46B3-AC27-E903784BA8E9.jpeg

79B71CD8-32FA-4F86-B8E5-A28E3477B6EC.jpeg

Last edited:
DejaVue said:
Someone needs to mention the irony of the OP working at a car auction yet is having trouble finding a car.

WAG says>>> I don't find this ironic. Most individuals involved with the used vehicle business (like working at an auction) are well aware of the fact that a large percentage of the older vehicles coming through the auctions are flawed in some way, some with major defects, that is why they were traded-in and that is why the dealers bring them to the auctions. Dealers don't generally bring the really good vehicles they take in on trade to the auctions because they can easily find retail buyers for them and make more money. Most auctions have rules that require the sellers to disclose major defects or the sale could be arbitrated and subsequently cancelled, but their rules only apply to newer and lower mile vehicles. Older and higher mile vehicles are auctioned on an as-is/as-shown basis except for undisclosed title problems (like branded titles).

Exactly right. Arb is for 1 hour after the last car goes through so you have to be quick to find stuff.

And the buy here pay here dealers, and other small dealers get rid of cars with knocks, headgasket problems all camouflaged..fresh thick oil so you don't see the milkshake. Headgasket sealer and then fresh coolant so you don't see the glitters. (Big dealers don't bother) Cars that will not pass emissions with all the codes and check engine lights reset. Transmission issues that you don't see until car is hot on the road... Some dealers want too much money. I've seen a small nasty nasty 200,000 mile Kia come through all dented up on 4 bald tires with a fire ant nest in it and a dealer turns down 1000. Unreal. Lots of no sales.

Last edited:
>>The "documentation fee" may very well be the fee that the dealer/consignee is charging for his services. He may also be charging the seller/consignor a fee. This could be the reason for why the seller/consignor is unwilling to move on the price.

My best guess is he saw it's a 3700 car at auction, 2500 trade and was offering her 3500.
Keeping 1500.
We do him favors too
Sort of a **** that he didn't even offer me anything more than someone he didn't even know.
Sort of happy not doing any business with him. As I rehash it, he was rude about it.

Last edited:
In the end my boss got involved, put a mechanic on the car and I ended up with the Sonata and much money left in the bank and an offer of help from the huge dealer seller (think Dale Jr) if any problems arise vs the Vibe and absolute zero as he would not even drop 200.

if I didn't get the Sonata I would have though if anything broke like a water pump it would've been a statue for tweeks or months as I wouldn't have any money to fix it.

Having a water pump go out but no money for two weeks is what credit cards are for. I'm not trying to inquire about whether you have one or not, just saying a car repair emergency like that is when they can be used for good instead of evil.

Having the boss and a mechanic and a dealer get involved, and apparently getting a good price on it, give the Hyundai a lot of extra points it didn't previously have.

Looks good, and sounds like you got a good deal.
Now the real dilemma starts... deciding what kind of oil to put in it....

if I didn't get the Sonata I would have though if anything broke like a water pump it would've been a statue for tweeks or months as I wouldn't have any money to fix it.

Having a water pump go out but no money for two weeks is what credit cards are for. I'm not trying to inquire about whether you have one or not, just saying a car repair emergency like that is when they can be used for good instead of evil.

Having the boss and a mechanic and a dealer get involved, and apparently getting a good price on it, give the Hyundai a lot of extra points it didn't previously have.

Looks good, and sounds like you got a good deal.
Now the real dilemma starts... deciding what kind of oil to put in it....

Thanks. I actually had a CC payment due that would have taken me below the 5240 they wanted for the Vibe. Hence saying I was 200 short. His response was really that of an a hole. ]
The boss...
Sort of put me on the spot too. I just said I was thinking about buying it. Nothing else. Next thing I knew our arbitration mechanic guy was pulling the engine cover Stethoscope Combustion Leak Test all over the car... about 1.5 hours and then a drive.

Last edited:
Clarkflower, If your Sonata has the 3.3L V/6 engine, there is a common problem that you should be aware of and watch closely for. The intake manifold gasket can develop an oil leak where the oil leaks down onto the alternator causing it to fail, and, in some cases it can catch fire. Hyundai recalled several of their other vehicles for this problem, but not the Sonata, and the Sonatas are known to have this problem. Have your mechanic inspect the car for this oil leak and keep an eye-out for it going forward.
You should also be aware of the fact that this engine has a history of hydraulic timing chain tensioner failures. If the tensioner fails it will eventually cause a timing chain failure. The symptom of a bad tensioner is a loud rattle for a second or two at cold engine startup (subsequent startups do not produce this noise), eventually progressing to the rattle not going away until the engine is fully warmed-up. The engine has to be removed to replace it, so this will not be a cheap/easy repair. My Azera had this problem, I got rid of the car right after it was repaired. The Azera had a larger displacement version of the same Lambda V/6 engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back