Foam speaker baffles.... or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a way to know when a foam speaker baffle should be used on a car stereo speaker?

Are there any "rules" to follow as to when to use them... or not to use them?

Originally Posted By: HyundaiGuy
I'd recommend avoiding foam surrounds whenever possible. Butyl rubber surrounds will be far more durable.

I think the OP was not referring to the surrounds, he was talking about supplementary baffles like these

21z%2BSIPp3ML.jpg

I find they offer additional moisture protection but compromise the sound

They are a great idea unfortunately they dont work with many speaker fitments..(windows hit them)

I had my doors insulated instead.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cmorr

I think the OP was not referring to the surrounds, he was talking about supplementary baffles like these

21z%2BSIPp3ML.jpg

I find they offer additional moisture protection but compromise the sound

+1
thumbsup2.gif

Great in theory but bad in actual application. Pretty decent on 3.5 speakers but I've lost bass response on larger speakers

The baffles can help improve bass response and overall sound quality. They will work better in a larger door or speaker location, especially one that has a lot of holes and open cavities in the surface of the door or speaker mounting location itself. Another benefit is the baffle can help protect the speaker from the elements. The problem with the baffles is they can also limit the bass response and volume from the speaker; it will act as if it is mounted in an enclosure that is too small. Baffles are sort of a try-it-and-see-if-you-like-it deal. They are also sort of a pain to install. You could always install one speaker with a baffle and one without, then do an A/B comparison to see which way sounds best to you. Dynamat or its equivalent may make more of an improvement in sound quality, but I personally have never noticed much difference with or without it.

I think trial and error is the best way to go. I made some carpet foam boxes for speakers on the rear shelf of a sedan. I didn't like the sound, and opened the ends to work like a bigger enclosure and Love them. I used the tan foam with a skin on one side.(outside)

With mine I think the trunk volume was too big for the drivers. The drivers were good but I just wanted to enclose them some, and it worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back